Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Finally got all my FASA Thieves' World game modules. Including one that I'd never been able to get my hands on. The mini-module that was given out at a convention. "The Blue Camel". There supposedly was another game module in planning that never was released that was to be called "Vengeance", if I recall. View attachment 51255
If you get a chance to give your thoughts on these I'd appreciate them.

If you get a chance to give your thoughts on these I'd appreciate them.
I had all of them before but the Blue Camel one, snagging them as they came out back in the day. I found them mostly at the time useful as reference material. I really went all in back in when the Thieves' World books were coming out, using a highlighter throughout the series.

Then of course using the adventure modules and the box set and companion that Chaosium released back then. I then hand drew around 24 maps to expand and detail out all the information from Ranke to Ilsig and up to Wizard Wall Mountains etc etc. This all back in the early to mid eighties.

I ran it originally using RuneQuest mechanics and because players just didn't appear to grok a skill based system versus a class/level based system when Palladium Fantasy released I quickly moved to that system until 1987 when said fuck it after a military move and went to GURPS and that was the system I then used from 1987 until 2000.

Anyhow, I've got a few things on my plate currently but I'll read through them and try to post my thoughts, since my memories of them are now decades old. heh.

Huh, just got a notice from UPS, that they'd dropped something off on my front porch. Pleasant surprise. I went all in on the starter box set, coins and cloth map, and snagged a second Player's Guide to boot. I've not actually ever read the full blown Zweihander so I figured this was a decent way to dip my toes in.

As I recall, the developer has a rep as an asshat, I'm trying to recall now what his issues were. These days there are so many asshats that it's hard to keep track of them. lol

Zweihander Rpg Starter Box Set 01.jpg

Looks like they're taking a que from Chaosium there is a decent amount in the starter box.
Zweihander Rpg Starter Box Set 02.jpg

Huh, just got a notice from UPS, that they'd dropped something off on my front porch. Pleasant surprise. I went all in on the starter box set, coins and cloth map, and snagged a second Player's Guide to boot. I've not actually ever read the full blown Zweihander so I figured this was a decent way to dip my toes in.

As I recall, the developer has a rep as an asshat, I'm trying to recall now what his issues were. These days there are so many asshats that it's hard to keep track of them. lol

View attachment 51298

Looks like they're taking a que from Chaosium there is a decent amount in the starter box.
View attachment 51299
He's known for being an asshat in two areas. #1 is shameless promoting. Like people asking him to tone it down and ignoring it until he's banned. That he seemed to learn from. #2 is just being a holier than thou judgey kind of guy who I believe accused one of the board members here of something I think most people believe he didn't do.
At it's heart I'd say he goes from 0-60 in whatever direction in no time flat and doesn't care what's in the way.

After a tediously long wait, my copy of Zombicide: Undead or Alive has finally arrived! At last I have a pile of minis for that Western campaign that… well I’ll probably never actually run. But it doesn’t hurt to pretend! Hehehehe

EE8827A9-FA18-4AF9-A74F-5ECE14475A17.jpeg
C1D85269-3A9F-4CFD-B79E-78A588E85FBC.jpeg

After a tediously long wait, my copy of Zombicide: Undead or Alive has finally arrived! At last I have a pile of minis for that Western campaign that… well I’ll probably never actually run. But it doesn’t hurt to pretend! Hehehehe

View attachment 51329
View attachment 51330
Much of my life is playing pretend. I just wish the other drivers realized it.

Here you go @
3rik
3rik
Appreciate that. It looks nice. How's the binding?

Have you seen the Yellow SIgn ?

DSC_0031[1].jpg

Well I have and it's pretty cool (even if the "dark-darkety-darkness-of-despair-that-masks-the-real-horror-of-our-fake-world's-absence-of-meaning" vibe ends up being comical for me.,Every teenager I knew who attempted suicide understood nihilism at age 13). The Laundry files are much more my jam but these books' content are high quality and there's nothing quite like it on the market. One of the game's main strength (being very U.S centric) ends up being its major weakness for a dirty european like me though. Still I'm happy to have those books and plan to use them soon.

I'll be running Blacksat as soon as I can and I'll find a way to give Impossible Landscapes a spin at the table.

Last edited:
This was delivered today...

SAM_8260.JPG

I'm on a bit of a Weird West drive, what with getting Weird Frontiers a few days back, but We Deal in Lead has piqued my curiosity more as it really reminds me of The Dark Tower with maybe a little Amber/Lords of Gossamer and Shadow thrown in too (what with it mentioning Slip Doors and gateways to other Realms):

SAM_8262.JPG

Could be the beginning of a memorable game as my players are talking about wanting to play something a little stranger after they finish Beowulf and I'm also on the same page.

This was delivered today...

View attachment 51425

I'm on a bit of a Weird West drive, what with getting Weird Frontiers a few days back, but We Deal in Lead has piqued my curiosity more as it really reminds me of The Dark Tower with maybe a little Amber/Lords of Gossamer and Shadow thrown in too (what with it mentioning Slip Doors and gateways to other Realms):

View attachment 51426

Could be the beginning of a memorable game as my players are talking about wanting to play something a little stranger after they finish Beowulf and I'm also on the same page.
I hope you share your impressions on this one, I have considered it but need a little push.

My Deluxe neoprene War of the Ring game mat arrived...
�

Now just need some sucker to devote around 8 hours of their life to play it with!

Good luck with that. I have a first edition copy of the game which has never been played.

I guess I SHOULD have ordered that super deluxe pre-painted Collector's version FFG was selling at the time. But I thought at the time, "No, I'm buying this to play it, not to sit pristine in the closet". Oh, what a sweet summer child I was. (Looks like the Collector's version sells for about $2K when they appear on ebay)

Now just need some sucker to devote around 8 hours of their life to play it with!
It’s a big game but I generally get it played in 4.5 hours or so (we rune the standard movie soundtracks which perfectly match the length). Looking forward to Dune War of Arrakis as it plays in under 2 hours and gives some (but by no means all) of the flavour of WotR.

Good luck with that. I have a first edition copy of the game which has never been played.

I guess I SHOULD have ordered that super deluxe pre-painted Collector's version FFG was selling at the time. But I thought at the time, "No, I'm buying this to play it, not to sit pristine in the closet". Oh, what a sweet summer child I was. (Looks like the Collector's version sells for about $2K when they appear on ebay)

You (don't) wanna see what I've done to my edition. Will have to take pics... 3d painted mountains and landmarks/citadels and a whole new set of metal miniatures for it - the main characters are 28mm with the armies 12 to 15mm. It's a thing of beauty.

It’s a big game but I generally get it played in 4.5 hours or so (we rune the standard movie soundtracks which perfectly match the length). Looking forward to Dune War of Arrakis as it plays in under 2 hours and gives some (but by no means all) of the flavour of WotR.

Would definitely struggle to get anywhere near to that playing time. For me it usually takes about 40 mins to setup, then there's getting acquainted with the rules again, then lots of chatting as we play and talking about what happened in the books. I'm okay with that, playing WotR is a Special Event!

My Weird Frontiers DCC rpg books just got in as well as an adventure for Empire of the East and a Patrons book for DCC. The damn core book of Weird Frontiers needs to be registered as a lethal weapon! Damn that thing is huge and heavy. I heard it dropping on my front door mat from upstairs. lol Too bad the GM Screen is pdf only at this time.

Weird Frontiers DCC rpg etc.jpg

I love how this thread moved from just discussing recent purchases (or posting reviews regarding recent products), to posting pics of our monty haul loot acquistions. It's kinda like Big Game Hunters posting their trophy exploits heh heh

Really great stuff, I just luv it !!!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Damn.

Whenever I check the thrift stores, it's just crap like monopoly and sorry. If I saw any of those in a thrift store, I'd buy them even if I had copies.
So something happens in my area ever damn year in the Nov-Dec time frame at this thrift store. Someone goes in and just dumps a crapton of quality games. I try to get my wife to swing in as often as possible to see if we can have a body there when it hits the floor.
Also in this trip I got:
Mysterium
Sangrada
Patchwork Doodle.

Last edited:
Maybe someone died. Family doesn’t give a crap about their geeky collections and just dumps it all at the local thrift shop. That’s my theory anyways.

It explains how I used to find total treasures at Value Village.
I think this was a topic of a thread a couple years ago, but I totally agree. My family has no idea what all my gaming stuff is. They would probably do the same thing even though I have tried to explain why Noble Knight's card on the refrigerator.

Maybe someone died. Family doesn’t give a crap about their geeky collections and just dumps it all at the local thrift shop. That’s my theory anyways.

It explains how I used to find total treasures at Value Village.

That's a common scenario at thrift shops. You'll see whole gaudy china sets that were considered fancy 60 years ago, a line of suits all the same size, and so on. I have a cardigan where I'm pretty sure the last owner died as it is so comfortable I can't imagine someone giving it up willingly.

Nah. This is just too regular. Every year around this time. It's wild because half the games are in shrink or unplayed/unpunched.
Personally I think it's some successful person who buys tons of games and just needs space. This is their good Xmas deed. Plus it's a tax write off.
Maybe it's you from the future keeping you updated in games without breaking the rules of time travel.

Maybe it's you from the future keeping you updated in games without breaking the rules of time travel.
Maybe. But seems a bit dicey making sure I can get them through.

I got this as well. Haven't had a chance to dig in, yet. I have all of the Zweihänder/powered by Zweihänder stuff so far. I like the system, though the only one I've run/played is the original Zweihänder.

I didn't go all in, just got the black box and the extra Players' Guide. It's a neat box. Thick, like a Goodman Games box. And packed full.

Curious to see what they've changed.

As for the author, I like him fine. Sure, he's a ruthlessly opportunistic self-promoter, but I think he's a decent guy besides that. Anyway, it seems to be working for him, commercially at least. YMMV, some folks really hate him. I think a lot of the hate is way overblown, especially when contrasted with some of the really bad actors in the hobby. Just my $0.02, though.

Nice! The last collaboration of theirs I read was Legend of Zagor.

D&D Art & Arcana: A visual history was a delight to read. A lot better than I thought it would be. The collector's edition was a real treat with a facsimile of the original tournament Tomb of Horrors and posters of the various paintings that formed the original covers.
this looks very neat. especially interested in the tomb of horrors content

Gringnr Gringnr I assume your last two posts contained pictures? For some reason they're not showing on my PC...

Got my Kickstarter copy of CY_BORG today. Book is GORGEOUS. PDF doesn't do this thing justice. I was always kind of meh on Mörk Borg, not sure why. But the setting of this one is REALLY neat, IMO.
I am so burnt-out on cyberpunk that, arguably apart from Corporia, I never ever picked up any game in the genre. But I'm somewhat tempted, because CY_BORG does look pretty!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back