Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Warhammer World has been issuing reprints of Rogue Trader and the two Realms of Chaos books. Glossy paper, gloriously crisp color reprints. So those aren't originals.

That's how it started. I paid some nice fellow across the pond who was reselling them on ebay at a premium more money than I probably should have, but still got them for less than I'd pay for originals and at much better quality. (In fact, I have a janky old original Slaves to Darkness I'll be selling off to recoup a little of the cost.)

After I had those, I dug out a battered old copy of WHFB 3e I bought off ebay about ten years ago and finally did the binding repair job I'd been meaning to do. And then a book here, a book there, and after spending an amount of money I refuse to total up, I think I'm good and done.

The real kicker? A friend of mine across the country told me he was going to a Half Price Books and would be checking the Warhammer section, and asked if there was anything he should look for. I replied, "If they have Warhammer Armies or Warhammer Siege, don't bother asking, the answer is yes," knowing there was no possible way he'd find them.

...that $15 dollar sticker on the copy of Warhammer Siege is from LAST FREAKING WEEK. I asked him to check for a Ming vase as the thrift store, and HE FOUND ONE.

Last edited:
Warhammer World has been issuing reprints of Rogue Trader and the two Realms of Chaos books. Glossy paper, gloriously crisp color reprints. So those aren't originals.

That's how it started. I paid some nice fellow across the pond who was reselling them on ebay at a premium more money than I probably should have, but still got them for less than I'd pay for originals and at much better quality.
Oh crap... I wish I hadn't known these 3 reprints were up on eBay... Now I'm down a LOT of money! :grin:

What is all this stuff?

Aside from Dragon Warriors (the revamped game from the early 90s) which comes from Drivethru for about £16.50 delivered (is on PWYW HERE) the rest comes from the annual Modiphius sale (HERE) which has about a day to run (depending where you are in the world). Have all six original books which this tome is said to encompass (or so I believe, haven't cracked it open yet) but it was a tough sell back in the day. As was Tunnels and Trolls years earlier. My old crowd didn't think it was a proper RPG unless it gave the GM a hernia whilst trying to pick up a school bag (AD&D lookin at ya).

The splatbooks for John Carter of Mars are self explanatory. 2D20 system which I know most people around here love and they will be places to go, stuff to kill, adventure suggestions and the like. Probably with a lack of bare Deja Thoris boobz or even risque art work. The art is fine but part of the appeal was the sexy Princess who could also kick ass. Still kicking ass, just with less sexy. It's a guy thing I expect.

Acthung Cthulu skirmish game looked different so I gave it a punt. Cheap too. Any good? No idea. Will I ever play it? See the last question and answer.

Similar is the Elder Scrolls battle game. I'm hoping to get my son into board games and rpgs at some point. His attention span rivals a goldfish at the moment, blame a diet of video games since he was born. Or me.

Dishonored Rpg states it is 2D20 lite so may be worth a look. Comes in A5 hardback so I'm praying it isn't Mythras-esque with regards being able to read the darn thing.

Dune RPG is full on 2D20 so will attract the hate spren (I'm reading the Stormlight Archives at the moment hence the reference). probably looks nice inside, I'm sure my shelves of games I will never play™ will appreciate the company.

Map of Barsoom is for JC of Mars. Probably very nice, folds out to be A3 I'm guessing.

Why?

I'm a sucker for sales, and maybe (at some point) I will look at these and try to run a play by post. Struggling for time at the moment with work shifts and itching to switch to another job (same industry, just not working so many weekends and nights). Maybe this will be the year I swap, who knows. This years sale doesn't have the Zoinks! (for Scooby Doo fans) that last years sale had. Blame inflation which is rampant in the UK. As an example the John Carter of Mars slipcase book set was £15 last year, £22.50 this year. Still a hefty saving from £75 rrp but indicative of the world we live in these days. Costs are up, salaries are stagnant, most people are feeling the squeeze.

So much so I'm not sure what my next RPG purchase will be. I may focus on my remastered version of the Basic D&D game (one book done but maybe needs rejigging, the DMs guide still to do) and possibly DC Heroes 2nd edition into one hardback tome and 3rd Edition remaster PDF. The guy who did the original DC Heroes 3e scan left a sticker on the outside and it's always bugged me. For personal use only, won't be distributed blah blah.

In summary

I guess my 'fear of missing out ' (FOMO) prompted the purchases. The Dragon Warriors book looks like a decent buy and took about a week to arrive which was alright. Dune looks nice but you lot have put me off 2D20 so I may have to grit teeth and do a personal playtest/review but it sounds like there is a lot of moving parts. Why couldn't they just have an old school stats + roll dice = do stuff instead of your thingummy does this which gives you momentum which you can use to blah blah. Anyway, I'll have a look. The Modiphius sale also includes PDFs of most everything you buy so it can't be knocked for value. I didn't bother with the Conan stuff. I suspect sometime in June there will be a fire sale for that line and I'll keep my eyes out then (the license is done and handed to someone else).

Last edited:
Well I've really been on one just recently... I need to slow down!

So my Realm of Chaos books arrived (24 hours after ordering them) and I was really impressed. The 40k Rogue Trader book should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. That I'm very excited about!

As for new purchases, well... I just ordered Starforged (along with the asset cards and reference book) from Modiphius.

That led me to buy the two Starsmith books, Expanded Oracles (including the PoD) and Mecha Mercs, on Drive Thru. Because why not expand your options for a game you haven't even seen yet?!

Then my lurking around on Drive Thru led to me ordering the hardback of the new Darwin's World: Nuclear Edition core book for SWADE... And then the hardback of Sprawlrunners for SWADE too!

Time to cut back on the spending I think. Maybe after I've bought several Palladium Fantasy books first though. :ooh:

So my Realm of Chaos books arrived (24 hours after ordering them) and I was really impressed. The 40k Rogue Trader book should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. That I'm very excited about!
Do you have a link where you ordered them? And the Rogue Trader?

Do you have a link where you ordered them? And the Rogue Trader?
I got them off eBay UK and, fair warning, they weren't cheap.

Rogue Trader was expensive and I'm not sure they had more than one copy. I think the Realm of Chaos seller had multiple copies and they were the cheapest seller I found.

Anyway, I'll take a look and give you the details.

I got them off eBay UK and, fair warning, they weren't cheap.

Rogue Trader was expensive and I'm not sure they had more than one copy. I think the Realm of Chaos seller had multiple copies and they were the cheapest seller I found.

Anyway, I'll take a look and give you the details.
Don't bother yourself- I found some on ebay, and wondered if the price meant I should keep looking at $100 for rogue trader.

I did pick up Battlefleet Koronus

This one was $80
1675203628551.png

This one was $8
1675203684309.png1675203718067.png

I went with the $8 because (1) less and (2) more fixable. The binding on the pages are fine- just the binding on the cover is the problem.

I don't know if it's any good or not, but I picked up the new Chivalry & Sorcery Basic Rules/Quickstart for a coupla bucks off DTRPG. It's been a system that has long intrigued me, and this feels like a good oppportunity to give it a sniff test. So far it reads like Mythras/RQ if those games's basic resolution systems were part of a Maths Exam given by medieval monks, but I shall persevere in my reading!

I don't know if it's any good or not, but I picked up the new Chivalry & Sorcery Basic Rules/Quickstart for a coupla bucks off DTRPG.
I've been looking at that as well. I'm very tempted to get it. I bought the hardback of Land of the Rising Sun and intend to convert it over to another system but, I have to admit, I'm curious about the original system.

I've been looking at that as well. I'm very tempted to get it. I bought the hardback of Land of the Rising Sun and intend to convert it over to another system but, I have to admit, I'm curious about the original system.
I know it's been given a bit of spit and polish, and I'm a sucker for a) medieval quasi-realismitude and b) real long skill lists.

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar: Soulbound. Been waiting for this game for a long time, but my local FLGS was content to let me leaf through a few times while I was waiting for the funds to snap it up. I asked them if they offered a discount for the audacity of this bitch, and they gave me the military/student discount... so this is going to my favorite book for awhile.

Book's gorgeous, but I haven't had the chance to really digest the system.

Finally received mine- I wish I'd gotten 5 also!
I'm going to gift a couple to my gaming group, but not sure I needed 5.

I'm wondering where the heck this should go in the RPGG database ... It's somewhat Mörk Borg-adjacent ...

Last edited:
I'm going to gift a couple to my gaming group, but not sure I needed 5.
Well, i wanted more than one... and the only other option was the 5. There's a couple of these small games I keep for play in a place where you might not otherwise play, when you're stuck there for longer than you ever wanted to be.

So I'm reading Amazing Adventures 5e and I'm pretty happy for $10( part of Troll Lords 5e closeout sale)
It takes the 5e system and adapts it for Heroic Pulp, horror, time travel and modern. If you can tolerate 5e I would recommend it.

Oh man... I was in the pub (not this one, an IRL physical one) earlier when I noticed that the recent Avalon Hill HeroQuest boardgame was available for £40 on Amazon UK. The first two expansions (Witch Lord and Kellar's Keep) were only £25 each too.

Naturally I'm now sans £90 (plus whatever the ten drinks I had in the pub cost me obviously).

So I'm reading Amazing Adventures 5e and I'm pretty happy for $10( part of Troll Lords 5e closeout sale)
It takes the 5e system and adapts it for Heroic Pulp, horror, time travel and modern. If you can tolerate 5e I would recommend it.
Sold. I'm assuming it's got a PDF and on Drivethru?

I also took advantage of that Troll Lord Games sale a few weeks ago, and my copy of Amazing Adventures 5E core rule book arrived a fortnight ago
It looks quite good, I may even grab a few products of it if any are still available.
I think the 5E system suits the modern Action/Adventure genre much better than it does Classic Fantasy.
Well worth the $15 AUD /$10 USD ( plus international postage) I paid for it.

Oh man... I was in the pub (not this one, an IRL physical one) earlier when I noticed that the recent Avalon Hill HeroQuest boardgame was available for £40 on Amazon UK. The first two expansions (Witch Lord and Kellar's Keep) were only £25 each too.

Naturally I'm now sans £90 (plus whatever the ten drinks I had in the pub cost me obviously).
So it is, but apparently it's only the My Little Pony version:
1675669347676.png

I picked up In Dark Alleys for 12 bucks shipped and it arrived a couple weeks back.

Sadly, I found it unreadable. Not to mention poorly edited. "Tenants" instead of tenets throughout.:errr::angry:

On the other hand, I did score a hardcopy of All Must Bow from a FLGS.

And the latest "How my! That looks shiny I want it!" picture

games_1.PNG

I'm happy to say that Pirate Borg is as good as it looks.

I waited too long for an offset print copy of Talislanta the Savage Land but all I could find was the 5e edition... So I finally bite the bullet and ordered a copy from DTRPG. I only regret I waited so long to do it. It's a great game, even if, like me, you don't care that much about Talislanta.

There was a sale for Starfinder stuff and I'm a sucker for any sci-fi related rpg product so... I know it's too crunchy for my group, I don't like magic in my sci-fi and those adventure paths could be trimmed down to a small A5 booklet once you get rid of all the useless stuff (well, useless for me at least). But there's a ton of material here so I can design my own Star-borg spin-off for my table.

Owing to my weakness for bad 90s games I'll never play, I can finally cross this one off my list:

SOD.jpg

A sister game to Shades of Nightfall, another LARP set in the totally original World of Dark Reality. Apparently, at least two more games were planned, but never materialized. This one's been one of my white whales for a minute now.

Also picked up some Shadowrun dice.

SD.jpg

The blue book is Vaults of Vaarn - a rules-light scifi/fantasy/post-apo RPG. I kind of hope I will talk my friend into running it. I want to by a player once in a while not just a GM.
The green booklet and the map is an old school adventure module that I hope I will be able to run by myself.

Attachments

• IMG_20230207_1116541.jpg
    IMG_20230207_1116541.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
The blue book is Vaults of Vaarn - a rules-light scifi/fantasy/post-apo RPG. I kind of hope I will talk my friend into running it. I want to by a player once in a while not just a GM.
The green booklet and the map is an old school adventure module that I hope I will be able to run by myself.
I’m not familiar with that but it sounds good, off to the internet to research!

Got a box from Exalted Funeral. No pictures because my tables are full of stuff, but here's the list with links.

Wyrd - Print + PDF
Mirror Image
The Lesser Key to the Celestial Legion + PDF
Primal Quest Essentials - Print + PDF
PRIMAL BELIEF - Print + PDF
The Pamphlet of Pantheons + PDF

After stumbling across them, the Primal books were really high on my list. My friends and I were trying to come up with a good narrative, single-roll d6 system and lo and behold... The setting is also a huge draw for me. I still haven't dug into it (very little time right now), but I'm looking forward to it.

Got a box from Exalted Funeral. No pictures because my tables are full of stuff, but here's the list with links.

Wyrd - Print + PDF
Mirror Image
The Lesser Key to the Celestial Legion + PDF
Primal Quest Essentials - Print + PDF
PRIMAL BELIEF - Print + PDF
The Pamphlet of Pantheons + PDF

After stumbling across them, the Primal books were really high on my list. My friends and I were trying to come up with a good narrative, single-roll d6 system and lo and behold... The setting is also a huge draw for me. I still haven't dug into it (very little time right now), but I'm looking forward to it.

Pic's or it didn't happen! More seriously, I've become a big fan of Exalted Funeral. Even snagged a t-shirt. heh.

S sharps54 Hairless Bear Hairless Bear I picked up Vaults of Vaarn myself. Posted a pic earlier on in the thread. Lovely looking game.

Last week my copy of Pirate Borg arrived from the Kickstarter together with the cards and the Dark Tides zine, which I understand is some kind of minimalist naval skirmish you can potentially use for ship battles...? Correct me if I'm wrong. Pirate Borg looks awesome!

IMG_20230206_125053.jpg

So, I've had a pretty expensive week for purchasing stuff. As you can probably tell from this haul...

Resize_20230211_200611_1118.jpg

Since my last post I ordered, and received, a bunch of Fate stuff from Dungeonland in Blackpool, UK. It was about £40 for Core, System Toolkit, Condensed, and 30 Fate tokens. That seemed too much of a bargain to miss!

Today I also received some Cyberpunk and Star Wars playing cards as well as a copy of Hard City. The latter was only £13 and, again, seemed too good to ignore.

Now, for the rest of the month I need to hold back on spending. Although there are other HeroQuest expansions... And I hear that Interface Zero 3.0 (for Savage Worlds) might get updated and a POD option before the end of the month... So much temptation lies in my path.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back