Tenra Bansho Zero Tell Me What You Know

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Jamfke

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I was dreaming up a new dice scheme using a D6 roll under idea and figured that since everything's been done before, as they say, I did a quick Gargle search to see if there were any systems already similar to what I have been cooking. Found a list that spoke about Tenra Bansho Zero and went down the rabbit hole and found the synopsis. It reads a lot like what I was thinking of but my ideas differ slightly enough to be its own critter.

I like their combat resolution system as it reminds me a lot of the Star Wars 1E rules from WEG, and I will probably use a similar version of that in my idea. I haven't dug too deeply in the rules yet, so I don't know how it handles some of the other game concepts you'd find in most systems. If you are familiar with Tenra Bansho Zero, let me know what you like about it or what you found lacking.

I was dreaming up a new dice scheme using a D6 roll under idea and figured that since everything's been done before, as they say, I did a quick Gargle search to see if there were any systems already similar to what I have been cooking. Found a list that spoke about Tenra Bansho Zero and went down the rabbit hole and found the synopsis. It reads a lot like what I was thinking of but my ideas differ slightly enough to be its own critter.

I like their combat resolution system as it reminds me a lot of the Star Wars 1E rules from WEG, and I will probably use a similar version of that in my idea. I haven't dug too deeply in the rules yet, so I don't know how it handles some of the other game concepts you'd find in most systems. If you are familiar with Tenra Bansho Zero, let me know what you like about it or what you found lacking.
I ran it for a one-shot. It was fun, though some players complained noted it being over(t)ly narrativist. Then again, it was a one-shot, and some mental gymnastics (and accepting that the world really works according to the Karma rules:devil:) helped the issues with immersion.

I ran it for a one-shot. It was fun, though some players complained noted it being over(t)ly narrativist. Then again, it was a one-shot, and some mental gymnastics (and accepting that the world really works according to the Karma rules:devil:) helped the issues with immersion.
After reading through more of the game I could tell that it was along the narrative game lines. I wouldn't be emulating much of the whole system, but I do like the opposed roll style mechanics especially for unarmed and melee combat with whomever getting the highest number of successes winning the round and causing damage to his or her opponent. Sort of cuts back on traditional methods of describing the character's actions for the round until after the dice are rolled I suppose.

The section on multiple attacks, for instance, says that facing off against multiple enemies can be done with relative ease by assuming the defender's role during the round, having the opportunity to deal damage with the counterattack aspect of the rules. This would emulate the king fu theater style of combat where the warrior or monk stands in the midst of dozens of opponents and is mowing them down in a whirlwind of blocks, parries and counter strikes. That is until his or her luck finally runs out and the dice turn sour. Even then, if the character has enough luck or Kiai points to spend on extra successes he or she could pull through the fight.

After reading through more of the game I could tell that it was along the narrative game lines. I wouldn't be emulating much of the whole system, but I do like the opposed roll style mechanics especially for unarmed and melee combat with whomever getting the highest number of successes winning the round and causing damage to his or her opponent. Sort of cuts back on traditional methods of describing the character's actions for the round until after the dice are rolled I suppose.
Sure, but that's a mechanic that's shared by many, many systems - Wushu is basically exactly the same (d6 roll-under dicepool counting successes).
But it's not the dicepool that cuts down* on the need to describe the actions, it's the decision to let the dice decide what opportunities are presented.
Other systems that do the same thing, from most to least narrative: Legends of the Wulin, Pendragon, Zenobia, Fading Suns, One-Roll Engine...:grin:

*It doesn't remove it, however, just shifts it to a more strategic level. And even in TBZ, you have to pick whether you're using some abilities before the roll.

The section on multiple attacks, for instance, says that facing off against multiple enemies can be done with relative ease by assuming the defender's role during the round, having the opportunity to deal damage with the counterattack aspect of the rules. This would emulate the king fu theater style of combat where the warrior or monk stands in the midst of dozens of opponents and is mowing them down in a whirlwind of blocks, parries and counter strikes.
Sure. But again, that's the interaction of three design decisions: to allow the "defense" to deal damage (counterattack isn't an option in all systems), to give you the option to counterattack while on defense, and to remove the penalties for facing more than one enemy in a round. Remove one of these, and it's no longer true.
A system that includes the latter for example, would instead having you run for the nearest narrow defensible place.
In a system where you can't counter on defense, like GURPS*, or even the aforementioned LotW, defense just makes you a better "tank":shade:.
Obviously if the system doesn't allow countering at all, like D&D, you simply gain nothing from "drawing the opponent to attack you", regardless of how many there are:thumbsup:.

*Well, kinda, you can play hard blocks, and you can parry and then use that parry to set up a counter next round...:grin:
That is until his or her luck finally runs out and the dice turn sour. Even then, if the character has enough luck or Kiai points to spend on extra successes he or she could pull through the fight.
Sure, unless you use one of the Monk styles (the Totally-Not-Southern-Cross one) that precludes that...:devil:
But again, that's not a feature of the dice used. You can do likewise in any system that allows the above three, and has Luck points!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back