The Band and Creedence Clearwater Revival at Woodstock

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested in such things, The Band and Creedence Clearwater Revival, two of the best acts to perform at Woodstock in 1969--neither of whom were in the movie so sometimes it's forgotten--are both putting out recordings of their performances at the festival in time for its 50th anniversary. The Creedence record isn't available just yet but I got the Band's and it's very high quality audio of a badass 48-minute performance of the group in their prime.
823564880105.jpg open-uri20190617-21067-oart58.jpg
Edit: added images that I wanted to post last night but couldn't since my phone's been having a glitch.

Last edited:
Considering some of the weak performances in the Woodstock film their exclusion was an odd choice.

Considering some of the weak performances in the Woodstock film their exclusion was an odd choice.
Levon Helm: “We were offered half our fee for the movie rights to our performance. [Our manager] Albert [Grossman] naturally said no. They did film us, in low light because we told them not to mess with us onstage." (They took the stage at 10 p.m.)

John Fogerty of CCR refused to allow the band to be in the movie because he felt that the circumstances created a performance that wasn't good enough to be documented.

The Creedence Clearwater Revival album arrived today and I can tell you it sounds great. Eleven rip-roarin' songs and a hit-heavy set:
  1. Born on the Bayou
  2. Green River
  3. Ninety-Nine and a Half (Won't Do)*
  4. Bootleg
  5. Commotion
  6. Bad Moon Rising
  7. Proud Mary
  8. I Put a Spell on You
  9. The Night Time is the Right Time
  10. Keep On Chooglin"
  11. Suzie Q
These guys kick ass and take names and then kick some more ass. All killer, no filler. Reminds me how good they were. I'm gonna have to dig out my CCR albums now. If you know their history, you also know there was no reason it had to end for them so abruptly if only the three second-tier band members hadn't killed the golden goose to assuage their egos, but that's a story for another day. Highly recommended reading, warts and all, no hagiography:
20190807_214435.jpg

Now somebody point me in the direction of a really thorough biography of the Band.

* John Fogerty is one of the few rock'n'roll singers with a voice that can handle a Wilson Pickett cover without being laughed out of the room. And then he tosses off a whipsmart guitar solo to top it off!

The Creedence Clearwater Revival album arrived today and I can tell you it sounds great. Eleven rip-roarin' songs and a hit-heavy set:
  1. Born on the Bayou
  2. Green River
  3. Ninety-Nine and a Half (Won't Do)*
  4. Bootleg
  5. Commotion
  6. Bad Moon Rising
  7. Proud Mary
  8. I Put a Spell on You
  9. The Night Time is the Right Time
  10. Keep On Chooglin"
  11. Suzie Q
These guys kick ass and take names and then kick some more ass. All killer, no filler. Reminds me how good they were. I'm gonna have to dig out my CCR albums now. If you know their history, you also know there was no reason it had to end for them so abruptly if only the three second-tier band members hadn't killed the golden goose to assuage their egos, but that's a story for another day. Highly recommended reading, warts and all, no hagiography:

Now somebody point me in the direction of a really thorough biography of the Band.

* John Fogerty is one of the few rock'n'roll singers with a voice that can handle a Wilson Pickett cover without being laughed out of the room. And then he tosses off a whipsmart guitar solo to top it off!

Hoskyns book is a modern classic.

227880.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back