The best RPG blogs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Llew ap Hywel

Lord of Misrule
Reaction score
On the back of the OSR blog post, and our own Doc Sammy’s post what are some of the best RPG blogs out there? And if your in the mood to say so why.

No need to repeat the ones in the threads mentioned, you can if you want but I’m already checking them out, and bonus points if it’s Mythras/RQ/BRP related.

Good call, I wish there were more non-D&D blogs out there.

Obviously there is The Alexandrian. Easily the best commentary I've read on game design and variety of games.

WFRP has some blogs dedicated to it, including the excellent Awesome Lies.

Reviews of R'lyeh is the best review blog out there, covering CoC as its base but also lots of other games, zines and adventures.

Age of Ravens by Lowell Francis is a very good blog that covers a really wide range of games. He also is the one who is attempting potted RPG history/reviews of subgenres like Cyberpunk, Superheroes, etc.

I'll post more as they come to me.

Last edited:
I find Jeff Rients amazing. He doesn’t really post as much these days, but every time he does, I pay attention. And of course, his classic stuff is worth combing through — hell, his (excellent) LotFP adventure Broodmother Skyfortress has a GM advice appendix that’s entirely cribbed from several of his classic blog posts.

James Malizewski is a controversial figure but since I Was Not There I found his posts enlightening. Grognardia has been derelict for nearly a decade but it was one of the rallying points of the OSR and I still believe it’s not a bad read.

robertsconley robertsconley has a blog here and his sandbox-building posts (which he condensed into manuals and should really be charging people for) are great reads, even if you’re not going into his amazing level of detail.

Akrasia Akrasia is a smart dude and digs BRP as well as OD&D, so his blog is worth looking into as well.

Trollsmyth and Monsters and Manuals have great stuff as well.

For those of us who read Spanish, we have two very insightful (and also Mythras-loving) members posting — Runeblogger Runeblogger here and Imperator Imperator here (though Imperator is on a big WoD kick, which I don’t mind at all).

I have a 'blog, but I don't post to it.

("He doesn't listen." - spot the ref. )

For my money, the best RPG blog I've seen of late is
https://talestoastound.wordpress.com/

...especially the "Traveller Out of the Box" ongoing series about reading and playing the original 3 books from the original 1977 edition of Traveller. Great stuff.

I skip the posts about D&D stuff but I'm sure that's probably top-notch as well if his Traveller posts are any indication.

You guys have already listed most of my favorites. I have learned much from The Alexandrian, Sly Flourish, Jeff Reints, and even *sigh* Angry DM (although I find his shtick grating).

DM David runs a blog that I enjoy; it's mostly old school D&D retrospective but once in a while he posts insightful commentary.

Deeper in the Game by Bankuei has great theory and playstyle stuff, specially on my favorite mode of play (narrativism):

Cannibal Halfling I only met recently while researching Masks reviews and supplements and found good articles all around:

Other than that, I must echo The Alexander and James Maliuzevski (or something) blogs, which teached me a bunch of useful stuff about playstyles and games in general.

Celestial Empire has a very cool post with some maps that actually show the missing link between hexcrawl and pointcrawl (no, that's my comment, not his:smile:).
Namely, he's posting Trade Routes.
And the Southeast one is just in time for my Exalted campaign (which is set in the South-East, mostly).

My blog simply doesn't manage to get a big enough share of my time compared to my other RPG commitments (in no particular order: posting here, on MW, CotI and Unseen Servant, playing in PbP games, running for my RL group, playing with my RL group, reading games, reading inspiration books :smile:).

My blogging career lasted three entries.

I decided it would be more fun if I started up an RPG forum.
And hey, you were right:wink:!

Maybe someday I'll copy, paste, and edit all these "Let's Reads" onto a blog. Gotta think of a good blog name, though.

In no particular order, here are my favorite RPG blogs:
https://geekrampage.blogspot.com/

Hi, New to the forum! Sorry to necro an ancient thread but this mention of my blog just made my day.

I like to tell my friends about my blog's dozen of fans (not plural, just a dozen, maybe less) so its super nice to get mentioned like I'm a for-real blogger. :-)

Hi, New to the forum! Sorry to necro an ancient thread but this mention of my blog just made my day.

I like to tell my friends about my blog's dozen of fans (not plural, just a dozen, maybe less) so its super nice to get mentioned like I'm a for-real blogger. :-)
Just saw your retroclone of the old Buck Rogers game. I've never owned this so you've made it possible for me to explore the mechanics. Thanks!

Just saw your retroclone of the old Buck Rogers game. I've never owned this so you've made it possible for me to explore the mechanics. Thanks!
Thanks!

I have uploaded the files for a print version and am awaiting the proof. Soon it will be available in actual book form.

I've also begun writing a hex-crawl adventure called "The City at the Edge of the Universe" where the players are modern people in an entire town transported to Dimension-25. They must escape the Martian overlords, survive the wilderness, fight mutant beasts, evade nomad gangs, and find allies.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back