Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
A bach is a holiday home. It's actually short for bachelor home and there's a whole raft of cultural expectations to go with it. The implication is that it got built in a hurry by labourers out of whatever materials were available because it was better than sleeping in a tent while working in a place inaccessible by road. It then got handed down through the generations and is now prized because those inaccessible locations are now accessible and often places you'd be quite happy to go for a week in the summer. My mate's grandfather built his out of lumber recovered from a disused sawmill. It has a view of a nice surf beach.

A lifestyle block is a hobby farm. Smart owners can make a profit from one, but that's not what it's there for.
That was all english and I understood every word!

One of my friends' family owns a beach house and for a while in our twenties and thirties we would go out there every so often to perform the little maintenance it needed and stay the weekend. The beds all had cardboard boxes under them filled with old Popular Science, Asimov and Amazing! magazines. Good times.
I had subscriptions to Asimov and Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction for years. A friend of mine had a sub to Amazing, and we’d trade back and forth so we could read them all.

Ah, the old days when time passed slower and you could spend an entire rainy Sunday lazing around and reading.

Apropos of nothing in particular, but I feel a lack of love for the glory that is the Siverhawks in the this thread. That is all.

This is probably the first Japanese TV I ever saw, back sometime in the first half of the 1980s, shortly before I got kicked out of school. Thunderbirds-style marionettes with a manga look-and-feel.

Actually, no, I tell lies. This was the first. It had fantastically choreographed martial arts scenes and special effects to rival the BBC.

First Japanese TV I can't recall, but was either Astroboy, Voltron, Battle of the Planets, or the Little Prince.

But I remember the first Japanese film I ever saw VERY WELL...

zjJdp0MHMguviRY4ZY6kvdImTQp.jpg

I still have my Axis & Allies set, but it's missing a couple of pieces and the box nowadays. I picked up the big deluxe edition from a few years ago, but not much chance of it ever hitting the table, sadly.

I still have Shogun complete but in hideous shape. Hasn't been played in years.

I had Fortress America back in the day, but sold it. I recently got a replacement copy and it has seen a couple of games of modern play.

A friend in the old game crew had Conquest of the Empire. We played it once. I don't know if we played it right because someone built a road and it was the instant "I WIN" button. I know there was a recent redo of the game, but I skipped it.

I always wanted the Broadsides and Boarding Parties Gamemaster game.

I still have my Buck Rogers: Battle for the 25th Century boardgame, which was similar in style and production value to those Gamemaster series games.

We played Axis and Allies to death.

I didn't play shogun until it was released as Samurai Swords in the 90s, but remember really loving that game.

I used the figs from my original Shogun box to field a Nipponese allied contingent for WFB 3rd Ed. Does anyone else miss the rules for giants being able to ride carts down hills and wreck shop? I know I do.

I remember a friend of mine owned some anarcho punk LP that included a cut-out paper cassette tape cover in case you wanted to tape the album. It also said something along the lines of "home taping is cheaper". I'll be damned if I can remember which band it was from...

EDIT: it was probably from Crass, though it might also have been The Ex

Last edited:
I was thinking about this thread and remembered my late 80's skateboard, a massive Santa Cruz deck with neon green grip tape and some franken-trucks.

First Japanese TV I can't recall, but was either Astroboy, Voltron, Battle of the Planets, or the Little Prince.

But I remember the first Japanese film I ever saw VERY WELL...

zjJdp0MHMguviRY4ZY6kvdImTQp.jpg

I didn't get to see this until I was an adult and like the luchadore films as much as I enjoyed them I was thinking 'man, if I saw this as a kid I would have been in heaven.'

In Search of..., Kung Fu, and Greatest American Hero were my favorites as a small child. Well that and Dukes of Hazzard which absolutely mortified my mother.
The Greatest American Hero was fab. The pilot is on Youtube. I watched it a few years ago, and found that it had dated a bit, but nowhere near as badly as a lot of its contemporaries.

Last edited:
The Greatest American Hero was fab. The pilot is on Youtube.

Don't forget the hilarious 'D&D is dangerous!!' episode 'Wizards and Warlocks.' Used to be up on YT as well but I can't find it now.

Did any other TV shows have (probably anti) D&D themed episodes?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back