Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
OMG that was very popular here as well for a while. To think I actually enjoyed watching something so cringe.
Yes it was total cringe but we were little kids. I am not going to judge a 5-7 year old who enjoys looking at the General Lee and Daisy Duke.

The Greatest American Hero was fab. The pilot is on Youtube. I watched it a few years ago, and found that it had dated a bit, but nowhere near as badly as a lot of its contemporaries.

The Dungeons & Dragons episode of that show was INSANE

Well that and Dukes of Hazzard which absolutely mortified my mother.

I was very young, but that show had enough impact on me that the unofficial reunion on Smallville choked me up a bit

I had a Daisy Duke toy I got at a county fair when I was like 4-5, it was the ugliest damn thing in the world

dukesdaisy0813.jpg

Looks ike Dani Davido's head in a wig on a girl's body

Yes it was total cringe but we were little kids. I am not going to judge a 5-7 year old who enjoys looking at the General Lee and Daisy Duke.
I think we were a little older than 5. Let me look up what year it was on TV here... It says on Wikipedia 1979 - 1981, so I was around 8-10 years old.

There was apparently a spin-off series named Enos (1 season of 18 episodes), an animated series called The Dukes (2 seasons, 20 episodes) and a 1997 TV movie The Dukes of Hazard: Reunion!.

I was very young, but that show had enough impact on me that the unofficial reunion on Smallville choked me up a bit

I had a Daisy Duke toy I got at a county fair when I was like 4-5, it was the ugliest damn thing in the world

View attachment 23102

Looks ike Dani Davido's head in a wig on a girl's body
OMG that thing is hideous you were not joking. At the very least I was expecting a classic brunette Barbie with a body that looks like it was designed by horny 12 year old boy.

I think we were a little older than 5. Let me look up what year it was on TV here... It says on Wikipedia 1979 - 1981, so I was around 8-10 years old.
I was born in October 1974.

I think I remember the Dukes of Hazzard mainly for how it disrupted my bus ride home from school for a few weeks. They were filming only a street or two away from where I lived in 1978. I know my family watched it for several years, but I only vaguely remember watching it.

I think VHS tapes did start in the $60 price range in the early 80s but by 1990 they were around $20 due to the explosion of people owning a player.

I remember them being pretty expensive in the early 80s with prices upwards of $100. It was one of the factors that made video rental shops viable.
Weird. $20-25 I remember, but higher is strange. I owned an awful lot of Disney tapes in the 80s...

Weird. $20-25 I remember, but higher is strange. I owned an awful lot of Disney tapes in the 80s...
The $25 videotape era started towards the end of the decade around 1987 when a few high profile releases at about $28 sold like hotcakes and forced the studios to rethink their previous policies. Before that, you could sometimes find video rental stores selling their used tapes at about $20 but that always seemed kind of dubious to me. I remember one of the vid stores near me would buy around 10 copies of a hot new movie and rent them while the demand was high and when it fell off they'd sell the extra copies and keep only one of two. I think they charged $4 a rental which at the time didn't seem like a bad deal. Obviously, this was before Blockbuster drove all those places out of business.

Last edited:
Don't forget the hilarious 'D&D is dangerous!!' episode 'Wizards and Warlocks.' Used to be up on YT as well but I can't find it now.
Jesus that was hilarious!

I love the way the students on campus are so deep into the game that they cannot be communicated with normally and the investigators realise they have to also assume in game speech in order to get the info they need. Even the kid they're trying to rescue thinks the guys literally coming at him with guns are NPCs and never realises the truth.

And the part where the game is so complex they have to get "Gygax" to help them.

"There's hundreds of variations and play paths, it could take me years to find this kid" :grin:

And in the end the agent dude is thinking of incorporating D&D techniques "here in the Bureau".

I'd never actually seen this show though. Miami Vice agents, a superhero, Saudi princes, almost hullicinatory immersion into D&D, it just kept throwing stuff out there, I couldn't stop laughing.

Last edited:

I love the way the students on campus are so deep into the game that they cannot be communicated with normally and the investigators realise they have to also assume in game speech in order to get the info they need. Even the kid they're trying to rescue thinks the guys literally coming at him with guns are NPCs and never realises the truth.

And the part where the game is so complex they have to get "Gygax" to help them.

"There's hundreds of variations and play paths, it could take me years to find this kid" :grin:

And in the end the agent dude is thinking of incorporating D&D techniques "here in the Bureau".

I'd never actually seen this show though. Miami Vice agents, a superhero, Saudi princes, almost hullicinatory immersion into D&D, it just kept throwing stuff out there, I couldn't stop laughing.
It was quite good - and often very funny. Robert Culp did a great job of playing the deadpan Fed as well. Very much an artifact of its time, but it's aged a lot better than most of its contemporaries.

The theme song was a minor hit as well, IIRC, I seem to remember it's popularity outliving the show itself

I always associated William Katt with this fun but campy tv show but then I watched Milius' underrated 70s character piece Big Wednesday (also by far the best surf film ever) and Katt gives the central and strongest performance.

The theme song was a minor hit as well, IIRC, I seem to remember it's popularity outliving the show itself
Even though I was really young I owned a tiny cheapo record with that "Believe it or Not" song. I was under the impression the song was quite popular at the time. I know that young me sure as hell loved it.

Even though I was really young I owned a tiny cheapo record with that "Believe it or Not" song. I was under the impression the song was quite popular at the time. I know that young me sure as hell loved it.
It was all over the radio about 1982 or 1983, although I think Joey Scarbury was a bit of a one-hit wonder. I don't recall him doing anything else.
I always associated William Katt with this fun but campy tv show but then I watched Milius' underrated 70s character piece Big Wednesday (also by far the best surf film ever) and Katt gives the central and strongest performance.
[ . . . ]
I've seen him in one or two other things - House (also Starring Richard Moll of Night Court fame) and something else I can't remember.

Last edited:
He was in the first film version of Stephen King's Carrie

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back