Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Godfather Punk

Glorifying bloodthirsty dictators
Reaction score
Let me tell you Escape was DIFFICULT! The dice only let you move forward on a 1-3 and for the other values you had to consult a chart, and when you could push someone 'back' there were endless discussions if that meant closer to the garbage compactor or away from whichever objective you were closes to. Also only moving in straight lines, so you needed to land on an intersection if you wanted to turn a corner the next turn. And then there was this novelty mechanic with Cards... And that was before the final space battle... (ok, we were young and the hardest games we knew were probably a variant or Pachisi, and Checkers).

Gabriel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you Escape was DIFFICULT! The dice only let you move forward on a 1-3 and for the other values you had to consult a chart, and when you could push someone 'back' there were endless discussions if that meant closer to the garbage compactor or away from whichever objective you were closes to. Also only moving in straight lines, so you needed to land on an intersection if you wanted to turn a corner the next turn. And then there was this novelty mechanic with Cards... And that was before the final space battle... (ok, we were young and the hardest games we knew were probably a variant or Pachisi, and Checkers).
The US version had/has a spinner. It sounds like there may be some other differences. I think players can land on each other and force them back to the compactor. There were cards that made you move back towards the compactor or teleported you to special spaces.

When my partner and I played it more recently, we felt the rules for the final Millennium Falcon escape were unclear and wonky, so we may have modified them a bit. I think we changed it so once you're in the Millennium Falcon you no longer spin to move, and can only move a single square. BUT, if you choose to fight a TIE fighter and win, you get to immediately move again, so it's possible with lucky spins to win in a single turn after launching the Falcon. Or, if you're not rushed, you can take the safe route and take a full four turns. It's one of those risk/reward bits.

I'm sure it plays differently with a full four players, and is probably more cutthroat. It plays quickly too, so even though it's kind of mindless, it goes quick, and the theme makes it pretty fun as a super casual game.

Gabriel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
What was the one that was pre-Surge that really emphasized it was all sugar and caffeine? It wasn't around long.

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Reaction score
I think? It rings a bell at least. Looking up online, the lightning bolt part of the branding seems familiar. I seem to recall that bit.
It was the first drink I recall being targeted as an energy style drink. Lots of caffeine. Lots of sugar. Long before RedBull. The thing was it tasted like ass and had enough caffeine at the time I got jittery and headaches.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
The only one I miss is Crystal Pepsi. I really liked the taste and texture.

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Reaction score
It was the first drink I recall being targeted as an energy style drink. Lots of caffeine. Lots of sugar. Long before RedBull. The thing was it tasted like ass and had enough caffeine at the time I got jittery and headaches.
"All the sugar and twice the caffeine" was their initial slogan.

Teyrnon

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I liked the grape flavored Jolt I had around the turn of the century. Never saw it again though. Did kind of wonder why they made it clear.

Endless Flight

Catch a Wave
Administrator
Reaction score
The only thing I remember about Jolt, other than it being nasty, was that the bottles always seemed to be sticky, like the bottling machine spilled the Jolt all over the bottles as it filled them. I always drank Mountain Dew to get my caffeine kick.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com