Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Team Knight Rider

But everyone tries to forget that one.

Oh, and there was also the early 00s, Knight Rider show where KITT was the ugliest Ford Mustang ever conceived. But everyone tries to forget that one too.

I only recall Team Knight Rider because I’d get home from gaming in the wee hours, and the local CBS affiliate decided that was the perfect time to air it.

Well, if you're going to do Street Hawk, Knight Rider, and Airwolf, you'd better bring along The Highway Man and by extension Max Headroom.

Team Knight Rider

But everyone tries to forget that one.

Oh, and there was also the early 00s, Knight Rider show where KITT was the ugliest Ford Mustang ever conceived. But everyone tries to forget that one too.

Don't forget.

MV5BMzZkNDYxMWItN2ViNS00YjZmLTllNjMtZDRkZjc1NTdkNzFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ2MjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

Well, if you're going to do Street Hawk, Knight Rider, and Airwolf, you'd better bring along The Highway Man and by extension Max Headroom.

I don't know what The Highway Man is, but the Wikipedia entry makes it seem like it probably fits in the super crimefighting vehicle genre.

It's been over 30 years since I last saw Max Headroom. I don't recall any super vehicle aspect. I mean, I guess if we look at it as crimefighting with some kind of supertech assistance, then it fits in right alongside KITT the AI, but the genre was really more about the vehicles. If it's just about the tech, then I guess we'd need to include Time Trax as well. I'd say they're both the same genus of TV show, but not the same species.

I just remembered one that I saw on a Saturday afternoon in the 90s. It was basically Knight Rider meets Mad Max. I don't recall the title. It was set in some post nuke wasteland. The hero had this patched together armored car and I think it had an AI on board like KITT. I don't remember anything else about it, because it wasn't very good. It was one of those pilot movies for syndicated shows that never got picked up. It aired contemporaneously with the "Action Pack" if anyone recalls that syndication block.

Highwayman featured semitrucks that were also helicopters. It featured Jedo from the Energizer (OI) comercials. It was set in a dystopian near future, maybe five minutes into the future, hence the tie in with Max Headroom in my mind. But also, a Max Headroom / Kitt crossover would be hilarious.

Wow! A 80's-style show I never heard of that has both G Gordon Lilly and Billy Dee Williams? How in the hell did I not hear of this?

Fun fact: G Gordon was the bad guy in the Super Force pilot.

Second Fun Fact: I only learned of 18 Wheels of Justice a few years ago, when someone in a book group brought it up a six-book (IIRC) novel series that had come out years earlier and very similar.

Okay, there were a few crime-fighting vehicle shows in the 90s and aughts. Were any of them successful?

Fun fact: Sam Jones, who played the titular character, also played Flash Gordon in the 1980 film. The sidekick was played by an Australian Rules Football player called Jacko, who was best known for advertising batteries.

Fun fact: Sam Jones, who played the titular character, also played Flash Gordon in the 1980 film. The sidekick was played by an Australian Rules Football player called Jacko, who was best known for advertising batteries.

I never made the Flash Gordon connection, which is bad, since “Not the bote works!” was a go-to line for me at times.

I knew Jacko from his Energizer battery commercials, but never knew he did football.

I caught The Highway Man on late night tv in the late eighties/early nineties and loved it (seriously, this was Wales in the late eighties/early nineties - there wasn't much else going on).

I caught The Highway Man on late night tv in the late eighties/early nineties and loved it (seriously, this was Wales in the late eighties/early nineties - there wasn't much else going on).
I recall enjoying it, but all I remember is the episode with the alien, and a scene with Jacko attempting to do a meet-up with informant that went hilariously wrong.

I always remember the bit where Jacko takes out a truck's radiator with his steel boomerang and then comes over and talks about them migrating this time of year. I sure hope the show was better than the intro.

Does anybody remember the name of the show there was a cop or P.I. who had friend that was a digital guy (like right out of Tron) that could come out of
the computer and walk around in the real world?

And I remember he had this “digital” car that would take corners by suddenly making 90-degree turns.

I only saw like two episodes and then never saw it on TV again.

Does anybody remember the name of the show there was a cop or P.I. who had friend that was a digital guy (like right out of Tron) that could come out of
the computer and walk around in the real world?

And I remember he had this “digital” car that would take corners by suddenly making 90-degree turns.

I only saw like two episodes and then never saw it on TV again.

Automan?

That was Automan. Another one I fucking loved! Ran for 1 season I believe. I missed the pilot ep but had the novelisation to make up for it.

I never made the Flash Gordon connection, which is bad, since “Not the bote works!” was a go-to line for me at times.
Bore worms, surely? Or am I missing part of the joke?

I knew Jacko from his Energizer battery commercials, but never knew he did football.
My mum, who was an Aussie, recognised him. He loved to have the cameras on him. Apparently he played one match in fishnet stockings as a joke.

Yes! Auto man was the one I was thinking of. At the time, there was nothing cooler than seeing the wireframe turn into a real Lamborghini.

I remember in '98 we went to a film festival in New York where I saw Dark City, and I immediately fell in love. So when it got a wide release later that year I convinced a whole bunch of my friends in art school to go to the premiere, and then, suddenly there at the beginning of this film is this obnoxious voiceover explaining the whole plot to the audience. I was mortified.

I remember in '98 we went to a film festival in New York where I saw Dark City, and I immediately fell in love. So when it got a wide release later that year I convinced a whole bunch of my friends in art school to go to the premiere, and then, suddenly there at the beginning of this film is this obnoxious voiceover explaining the whole plot to the audience. I was mortified.
I used to go to audience test screenings when I lived in LA. It was a lot of fun to see what changed. One of the nice things I liked about LA.

I really enjoyed Ebert’s commentary track for Dark City. It was based off of a workshop he had done where he pond others went through Dark City frame by frame. It is one of my top commentary tracks to listen to.

Really? Wow, I’ve never seen that version.

Really? Wow, I’ve never seen that version.
The original or the one with the voiceover? The voiceover was the standard available on home video until the director's cut was finally released on DVD in 2008, ten years later. I think only the director's cut made it to Blu Ray

The original or the one with the voiceover? The voiceover was the standard available on home video until the director's cut was finally released on DVD in 2008, ten years later. I think only the director's cut made it to Blu Ray.
The one with the voiceover intro. I saw it in LA, so must have been the early version.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back