Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Jack of All Trades didn't last long enough. Same with Brisco County Jr (that was another one that used to be after the Xfiles, wasn't it?)

Yup, it aired alongside the first season of the X-Files. I rather enjoyed it. I think it actually had the 8:00 PM time slot with the X-Files at 9:00 PM.

Community and Frasier I think are my two favourite sitcoms

I wasn't allowed to watch much TV as a kid, most of what I saw was saturday mornings before my parents got up, so when I was a teenager, I was suddenly consuming media at a rate that, looking back, barely seems humanly possible. Most of it wasn't very good, but it took a while for me to develope any taste over just a desire for consumption (I always picture Johnny Five going "Input! Input! Input!"). So, while I don't hold any particular affection for Saved by the Bell or Friends, I was aware of them, and saw a fair bit of them, so I have some level of investment in the characters. I was happy to see Zak and Kelly finally tie the knot in that TV movie years after I'd stopped watching. I was chuffed up at the final episode of Friends and that bittersweet end to a TV era. So, I have no expectations of a reboot or reunion this many years later, but it depresses me a little to see Friends reinterpreted as a deppressing Lifetime channel film, or Saved by the Bell with two of my least favourite characters and no Zak or Kelly in sight, complete with jokes that...well, probably are as bad as the jokes in the original, if I think about it, but still distancing me as targetted as a generation I'm not a part of.

Buffy...is something different. I was 18 when I started watching that show, and it's one I genuinelly appreciate to this day (at least the first three seasons). I don't really want to see a Middle Aged Xander or Willow though. It was of it's time, I'd prefer to leave it there.
Zak and Kelly are in it, but not main characters. Zak’s the state governor, the blond douche guy is their kid. Zak’s the one with the idea to bring the working class kids to Bayside High.

Zak and Kelly are in it, but not main characters. Zak’s the state governor, the blond douche guy is their kid. Zak’s the one with the idea to bring the working class kids to Bayside High.

I wonder if he's inherited Zak's time-control powers

Not sure if these were as common outside the West Coast but on the West Coast in Canada in the 80s every neighbourhood had a corner store run by Chinese-Canadians. It was so common they were usually just called 'the Chinese corner store.'

vernon-drive-grocery.jpg

Sadly they have been disappearing over the last few decades.

I went to school with the son of one of these families and when I moved back into the neighbourhood after being gone 20 years they were still there running the store.

They told me their kids weren't interested in taking over, so they finally sold the property off just last year. They probably got a pretty penny too as the local real estate has sky-rocketed in the years since.

In another neighbourhood I lived in the local store was the only business for miles so we hung around it all the time. They had their own softserve icecream machine and would dip the cones in chocolate. They must have made a fortune during the summer months.

Last edited:
hm, growing up in Ontario, the corner stores were all Mac's Milk. I have no idea/memory of the people behind the counter though

Not sure if these were as common outside the West Coast but on the West Coast in Canada in the 80s every neighbourhood had a corner store run by Chinese-Canadian. It was so common they were usually just called 'the Chinese corner store.'

Sadly they have been disappearing over the last few decades.

I went to school with the son of one of these families and when I moved back into the neighbourhood after being gone 20 years they were still there running the store.

They told me their kids weren't interested in taking over, so they finally sold the property off just last year. They probably got a pretty penny too as the local real estate has sky-rocketed in the years since.
I can back that up.

There also was a Lone Gunmen spin-off from X-files, but I never watched that. No idea if it was any good.

I didn't like the recast of Jimmy and the disappearance of Cat and Lex Luthor from the show, but I generally enjoyed it, even if it felt a bit like it was aimed at an older audience than myself (there was a definite 30-something vibe about it, almost-but-not-quite a Soap Opera). I also really enjoyed the Superboy series that predated it by a few years. But my favourite superhero live action TV show in the 90s had to be Swamp Thing. It didn't last long, but it was really dipping it's toes into Vertigo comics territy, in the wake of Alan Moore's run on the comic.

Lois and Clark had one fantastic season and then died horribly. I'm not sure why but I'd guess it's because Lex Luthor, Jimmy Olsen, and Cat Grant made the show and with them gone or replaced it lost what made it so cool.

Michael Landes (who played Jimmy Olsen in the first season of Lois & Clark) was fired after the first season because he (no joke here), "looked too much like Dean Cain" and "took the attention away from Dean Cain."

1473888027-lois-and-clark-season-one.jpg

The resemblance really is uncanny. /s

As for Lex Luthor, John Shea (the actor), lived in NYC with his family, and filmed Lois & Clark in Los Angeles. He lived in Los Angeles during the week, jetted to NYC for the weekend to see his family, and jetted back Monday morning. Every week. After a year of that, he gave up and wanted his role severely reduced.

The second season of Lois & Clark was okie, but the absences of Michael Landes and John Shea really hurt it. Then the show jumped the shark in the third season.

Michael Landes (who played Jimmy Olsen in the first season of Lois & Clark) was fired after the first season because he (no joke here), "looked too much like Dean Cain" and "took the attention away from Dean Cain."

View attachment 21043

The resemblance really is uncanny. /s

As for Lex Luthor, John Shea (the actor), lived in NYC with his family, and filmed Lois & Clark in Los Angeles. He lived in Los Angeles during the week, jetted to NYC for the weekend to see his family, and jetted back Monday morning. Every week. After a year of that, he gave up and wanted his role severely reduced.

The second season of Lois & Clark was okie, but the absences of Michael Landes and John Shea really hurt it. Then the show jumped the shark in the third season.
That show went silly after the frog episode....
One of my favorite things from that show is this... however.

I remember that from when it aired. It seems kinda clumsy now.

What I can't recall is if she retained that knowledge from that episode on, or did she have some sort of memory erase by the end?

Last edited:
Yeah. H.G. Wells erased Lois' memory of the event... only for her to discover Superman's real identity on her own a few episodes later.

If nothing else, this conversation just made me buy all four seasons of Lois & Clark on digital video because it doesn't look like DC Universe is long for this world.

I'm actually watching the first episode right now...it's been a long time

I think I'm just going to do the first season of L&C, this is actually making me nostalgic for Smallville

So, one episode was enough to convince me not to revisit the show. That was a calvacade of cringe. I still like Teri Hatcher, and Dean Cain in the roles, but it's definitely from a time in TV history that I've found is best left in the past. I'm, perhaps naivelly, optimistic XFiles will hold up a bit better, with Twin Peaks as a huge inspiration. Plus...I still have a crush on Gillian Andersen.

8572285572_0166dc358b_h.jpg

For a minute there, I was like, "hey, whatever happened to the Lone Ranger?" but then the momory of the existence of that Disney....thing...came flooding back

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back