Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The Simpsons and "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" are probably my favourite American comedies. I don't think any character in any show has made me laugh as much as Dennis in Always Sunny.

...because of the implication.

It's Always Sunny is up there for me as well.

Besides that, lessee...favourite American Comedies, of all time.

Community, of course. Daria. Frasier.

Venture Bros, Rick & Morty, and the early Adult Swim stuff - ATHF, Metalocalypse, Moral Orel, Lucy: Daughter of the Devil, Home Movies, etc.

Parker Lewis Can't Lose, maybe? I'm sure I'm not recalling a lot of shows off the top of my head....but then TV was pretty awful overall the first few decades I was alive.

Favourite Britcoms:

Black Books, The IT Crowd, Father Ted, Fawlty Towers...and I guess Red Dwarf until the smart guy left.

I also watched a lot of Are You Being Served? growing up. I can't remember ever laughing at a single joke, but it was ... easy to watch?

I guess Red Dwarf until the smart guy left
Yeah recent Red Dwarf, I really want it to be funny because I'm fond of the old show but it's gotten very stale.

Moral Orel
That was an interesting show. Started out wacky, got very dark and then ended on a positive note.

Venture Bros and Rick and Morty are great! I'd probably prefer Venture Bros overall just because it nails the genres it draws from so well and has a cool world, even though I'd say Rick and Morty is more "laugh out loud funny".

Favorite American comedies of mine:

Archer - It's crude, but at times absolutely hilarious.

Futurama - Others have already talked about it.

NewsRadio - This show was pure genius. I still miss Phil Hartman. Probably my favorite American comedy television show. If you watch one comedy on this list, watch this one. I'm sad that it still hasn't been remastered to HD yet, and probably never will be.

Parks and Recreation - As someone who works for the American federal government, Ron Swanson is my spirit animal.

That '70s Show - I have a soft spot for the 1970s, and the show was legitimately funny at times. I definitely recommend skipping the final season though.

Oh yeah, Archer is good, though I'e kinda lost interest in later seasons. I really liked the precurser to it as well, Frisky Dingo.

NewsRadio I recall liking when it was on, but it seems to have gotten skipped over for syndication so haven't seen it since the mid 90s.

Parks & Rec and The Office both I don't mind in short bursts, same with 30Rock, which wasn't the same people, but I associate them because the of the same time period and Tina Fey and Amy Poehler being very public gal pals. The Office is maybe the one time I liked the American remake more, I'm not as enamoured with cringe comedy.

I enjoyed what I saw of that 70s Show, but it's been ruined by what I've found out about the actors since then. However, that does remind me of a show that I really loved the first...maybe 3 seasons: Scrubs. It jumped the shark after that, becoming a parody of itself, but the first little bit straddled that line between comedy and genuinely touching tragedy so well.

Strangers with Candy was another one from back in the day. Surprisingly dark for it's time, I doubt you could even have a show like that on TV these days.

My favorites sitcoms of all-time are:

Three’s Company - If for no other reason than John Ritter and Don Knotts doing their thing.

Seinfeld - I never watched this as it aired but I never fail to laugh when I watch them on reruns. It really is the show about nothing.

That 70’s Show - I’ve seen every episode probably at least five times or more.

Futurama - Always enjoyed it more than the Simpsons.

The Golden Girls - I adore this show. It might be my favorite ever. The writing was just top-notch.

All my friends hold it in high regard. I was just the wrong age. A 7-8 year old boy isn't going to sit down and watch a show about 4 elderly women. Even Cheers was something I only saw because my parents watched it.

I actually didn’t watch it much as a kid either. I liked it but didn’t love it. That only came much later when they showed reruns during the mid-00s. It was then that I realized what was genius about it.

I actually didn’t watch it much as a kid either. I liked it but didn’t love it. That only came much later when they showed reruns during the mid-00s. It was then that I realized what was genius about it.
I'll have to give it a shot at some point, if it holds up that well.

A few other comedies I liked that I thought of over the last few hours -

Flight of the Conchords, Children's Hospital, Party Down, Get Smart, and Black Adder.

I'm not sure Bojack Horseman counts as a comedy. There are certainly plenty of surreal comedic elements, but it's ultimately a show about depression, child abuse, destructive relationships, and self harm, and I think the comedy is just there to make all that more palatable. Genius show, regardless.

I don’t think I want to ask.

Nothing Cosby level, he was just an insane egomaniac, insisted the actors treat the puppet as a real person even when the cameras weren't rolling, and generally torturing the actors involved, whose lives were constantly at risk of injury during filming as it was.

Seriously. I just dropped one off at Goodwill last Sunday; after a session of decluttering I unloaded a cache of artifacts from the 90's and 00's.
What people today don't appreciate is how much of an improvement it was over the other one we all owned that had those plastic flipping numbers that made a noise EVERY minute when a number changed.

My favourite from back in the day was WKRP In Cincinnati. I watched the reruns so many times I could say every line with perfect timing.

For modern stuff, it’s Arrested Development (first three seasons only, of course) and Archer as my top two.

My wife and I are only now getting into Always Sunny for the first time, and it’s awesome. We’re only up to Season Two at this point, though.

For modern stuff, it’s Arrested Development (first three seasons only, of course) and Archer as my top two.

My wife and I are only now getting into Always Sunny for the first time, and it’s awesome. We’re only up to Season Two at this point, though.
I am not a big Live TV fan but Sunny and Arrested Development are two of my faves. Sunny gets better IMHO as the seasons march on. You are in for a treat.

Oh yeah, Archer is good, though I'e kinda lost interest in later seasons. I really liked the precurser to it as well, Frisky Dingo.

NewsRadio I recall liking when it was on, but it seems to have gotten skipped over for syndication so haven't seen it since the mid 90s.

Parks & Rec and The Office both I don't mind in short bursts, same with 30Rock, which wasn't the same people, but I associate them because the of the same time period and Tina Fey and Amy Poehler being very public gal pals. The Office is maybe the one time I liked the American remake more, I'm not as enamoured with cringe comedy.

I enjoyed what I saw of that 70s Show, but it's been ruined by what I've found out about the actors since then. However, that does remind me of a show that I really loved the first...maybe 3 seasons: Scrubs. It jumped the shark after that, becoming a parody of itself, but the first little bit straddled that line between comedy and genuinely touching tragedy so well.

Strangers with Candy was another one from back in the day. Surprisingly dark for it's time, I doubt you could even have a show like that on TV these days.

Shows not mentioned so far that I think are top notch comedies are Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Larry Sanders Show and Kids in the Hall.

More recently I've really enjoyed Fleabag and I Think You Should Leave.

Shows not mentioned so far that I think are top notch comedies are Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Larry Sanders Show and Kids in the Hall.

I was leaving out sketch comedies, or Kids and the Hall, The State, Whitest Kids You Know, Monty Python, and The Upright Citizens Brigade would be on my list

Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Larry Sanders Show are kinda like Sienfeld to me - just a type of comedy that doesn't reach me.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back