Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I don't know that they horrify me but I sure as hell can't watch them with the kids or anyone under 45 around.

tumblr_mqi2r3fXUE1qb05aco2_250.gif

I might be too harsh. I judge almost all women by what my wife looks like. She’s 49 but looks about 35.

Yeah, my fiance apparently doesn't age. She just turned 30, and looks exactly the same as she did when I met her when she was 23.

Meanwhile, I've looked 40 since I was 16

Yeah, my fiance apparently doesn't age. She just turned 30, and looks exactly the same as she did when I met her when she was 23.

Meanwhile, I've looked 40 since I was 16

Clean living and Swedish genetics have ensured that I still look 25 at age 39. However, my body hair has started turning white despite my head hair staying brown! Plus, French 'cabaret girl' genetics have cursed me with 60-year-old kidneys full of rocks. :tongue:

Please note we need an entrance large enough for a forklift to get it into your home.
You may laugh but my standing desk adaptor arrived on a pallet. Fortunately the delivery driver took pity on me and helped me to lug it upstairs.

"Let me tell you 'bout my mother..!"

Nostalgia Tax: while awaiting The Empire Strikes Back, this got played a LOT!

3c498d9a-86ed-11e6-97ec-22d097c88c53.jpg
$_84.JPG

Story Time!

I was 7 or 8. I saw this game at a local store. To my young mind, it seemed like the most awesome thing ever! I may have gotten it confused with the Destroy Death Star game with the rotating board, but for some reason my mind latched hold of Escape the Death Star, and I wanted it very, very badly.

Maybe a couple of weeks had passed. In little kid time, that felt like decades. I begged for the game at every opportunity. Please, please, please, buy me the Death Star game! I'll be good forever. I'll do chores until I'm retirement age. Please, please, please! I really don't know why I latched hold of the idea of getting this so badly, but it was really one of the toys I begged for the hardest in my childhood.

Well, the day came, and my mom said that she was finally going to take me to the store that had it and buy it to shut me the hell up. YAY! All I needed to do was wash my hands, and we were ready to go.

So the bathroom in my childhood home had towels on the opposite side of the bathtub. In this case, the towel was on that rack. Now, I could have just stepped INTO the tub in order to reach the towel, but I was a stupid little kid. It would be much more FUN to climb onto the edge of the tub, and hold on to the towel racks to cross over to the other side and get the towel. I had done this many times before. I was a kid.

Well, this time, as I got on the other side of the tub, holding on to the towel rack, it came free of it's mooring. I fell backwards, and the back of my head impacted on the edge of the tub. I lost consciousness.

I woke up in my great grandmother's lap. She was holding a cloth to the back of my head. I remember her saying "there's so much blood. This one is soaked, give me another rag." My mother was on the phone, presumably with a doctor's office or something. She then came over and asked to see the wound. I remember her saying, "it's deep. I don't know if they're going to be able to stich that up." Upon realizing I was conscious, they started asking me all kinds of questions to determine if I was OK. My answer was that my head hurt.

I got taken to a doctor. I'm pretty sure it wasn't an emergency room. My mother was an RN and my dad was an emergency room nurse. I didn't realize it at the time, but they sort of had connections that could get emergency services without actually going to emergency services. I remember being in a doctor's office and getting the back of my head sewn back up. They gave me some painkillers, which oddly didn't knock my tiny self for a loop. My headache subsided. I don't even remember feeling the stiches. Luckily, I didn't have a concussion or anything. I had been fine except for the gaping, gushing, gash in the back of my head, which was now all sewn up.

Anyway, I must have looked pretty pathetic. I remember several remarks at how pale I was. I had gushed out a fair amount of blood. To make up for my ordeal, my mom told me that instead of going to the store where the Escape Death Star board game was, we would instead go to the BIG TOY STORE. Wow! I needed to bash my head in more often! I was elated.

When we got to the big toy store, my favorite place in the whole world at that age, I looked for the game and... they didn't have it. I was told I could have any toy I wanted, but I needed to get it from this store (or that was what I understood anyway). I don't even recall what I got. It may have been a Han Solo blaster, because I recall owning one of those. Still, I was disappointed because I didn't manage to get the board game I wanted.

Some time later... who knows when, I finally got the board game in question. Yet, I had forgotten I didn't have anyone else to play with. My family didn't let me go over to other kid's houses or have other kids over. So, I played Escape Death Star by myself until I managed to lose all the cards and pieces and the spinner and it was just a board that got thrown away.

More recently, I bought the reissue of Escape Death Star. This time I didn't even have to crack my skull in. This time I had my partner to play it with. I mean, it's not a great boardgame by any means, but I definitely would have enjoyed playing it with my friends when I was little. It's definitely better than the Hoth boardgame they reissued, which technically only needs a player to spin the wheel. Escape at least as some very, very minor strategy and decisions to make.

Let me tell you Escape was DIFFICULT! The dice only let you move forward on a 1-3 and for the other values you had to consult a chart, and when you could push someone 'back' there were endless discussions if that meant closer to the garbage compactor or away from whichever objective you were closes to. Also only moving in straight lines, so you needed to land on an intersection if you wanted to turn a corner the next turn. And then there was this novelty mechanic with Cards... And that was before the final space battle... (ok, we were young and the hardest games we knew were probably a variant or Pachisi, and Checkers).

Let me tell you Escape was DIFFICULT! The dice only let you move forward on a 1-3 and for the other values you had to consult a chart, and when you could push someone 'back' there were endless discussions if that meant closer to the garbage compactor or away from whichever objective you were closes to. Also only moving in straight lines, so you needed to land on an intersection if you wanted to turn a corner the next turn. And then there was this novelty mechanic with Cards... And that was before the final space battle... (ok, we were young and the hardest games we knew were probably a variant or Pachisi, and Checkers).
The US version had/has a spinner. It sounds like there may be some other differences. I think players can land on each other and force them back to the compactor. There were cards that made you move back towards the compactor or teleported you to special spaces.

When my partner and I played it more recently, we felt the rules for the final Millennium Falcon escape were unclear and wonky, so we may have modified them a bit. I think we changed it so once you're in the Millennium Falcon you no longer spin to move, and can only move a single square. BUT, if you choose to fight a TIE fighter and win, you get to immediately move again, so it's possible with lucky spins to win in a single turn after launching the Falcon. Or, if you're not rushed, you can take the safe route and take a full four turns. It's one of those risk/reward bits.

I'm sure it plays differently with a full four players, and is probably more cutthroat. It plays quickly too, so even though it's kind of mindless, it goes quick, and the theme makes it pretty fun as a super casual game.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back