Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Aren't younger generations also fucking less?
And committing a lot fewer crimes. Also their music is quieter and less melodic, dynamic, and varied.

It all has to do with no longer having tetraethyl lead in the petrol (gasoline).

Music was best when you could hear mistakes like...breathing. I recently remembered seeing somebody (can’t recall who) saying that Charlie Watts would end a particular song drumming at a tempo faster than what he started at (started around 100 beats per minute and ended up around 120). That doesn’t happen now.

I've seen 3/4ths of so many movies on those
I don't think TV carts were really a thing until my high school years. Although I have an odd recollection of a slide show showing scenes from Annie in the first or second grade..

I don't think TV carts were really a thing until my high school years. Although I have an odd recollection of a slide show showing scenes from Annie in the first or second grade..
Pretty sure I watched the Challenger blow up on a TV cart

Pretty sure I watched the Challenger blow up on a TV cart
I'm sure you did. That happened during my high school years when TV carts were all the rage. :grin: Things can change pretty rapidly and a difference of a mere five years makes for differences in the ubiquity of things like VCRs, computers, projectors. I hear that in the current decade some schools are doing away with chalkboards.

I remember watching a live feed from the NASA Giotto probe to comet Halley in the classroom.

They left it running so that any kid who was interested could watch, but they also locked us out of the room because... I don't know.

I remember watching a live feed from the NASA Giotto probe to comet Halley in the classroom.

They left it running so that any kid who was interested could watch, but they also locked us out of the room because... I don't know.

They did that at my school as well, although it was just a classroom with a TV in it that folks could go and watch. We weren't locked in, so I suppose we had that going for us. Do you remember the graphic about the micrometeorite hits on the whipple shield?

that Charlie Watts would end a particular song drumming at a tempo faster than what he started at (started around 100 beats per minute and ended up around 120). That doesn’t happen now.
That's a huge tempo shift! Must've been even before drummers started playing with click tracks in the studio. Perhaps it was a live recording? I would definitely have wanted to do a second take in such a case and pay extra attention to my tempo.

Anyway, Charlie Watts himself has never claimed to be a particularly proficient drummer. The people placing him among the top greatest rock drummers of all time probably didn't play the drums themselves, because that is really pushing it, IMHO. That said, his drumming with the Stones was always perfect for the Stones and he definitely had his own unique groove.

I think that particularly case the shift is intentional.

Can't remember the exact track but someone posted it when he died and that seemed pretty obvious.

Whether or not it is 'proper' probably didn't worry him as he was self-taught and they are playing rock n' roll although he did play jazz early on so hardly lacking in technical proficiency.

he did play jazz early on so hardly lacking in technical proficiency
What I've seen of his jazz playing seemed fine to me, but nothing outrageous. Really, he has literally said himself that "what I'm doing is incredibly simple". Also, he never played any solos; didn't enjoy them and probably wasn't very good at them. He didn't quite get what all the fuzz was about his playing, being the humble guy that he was. I really don't know how they're going to "replace" him. His death caused a rippple in the Drummer Force, as a fellow drummer of mine said when the news broke. RIP

Drummers back then usually didn’t like to play solos. Ringo wouldn’t do it. The only reason the Beatles got his solo in “The End” is because they mixed the other instruments out in the final cut.

I remember, along with the TV cart, my elementary schools would always have this one monstrous projection-screen TV thing with 3 holes giving off red, blue and green lights that I think played film reels or something. There was all these weird "educational" short films from the 60s and 70s we saw on those.

I remember watching the shuttle launches in elementary school. I definitely remember Columbia in 1981, I think it was.

We just had portable projectors that the teacher would put on a desk. I think later on they then had them drop from the ceiling.

We just had portable projectors that the teacher would put on a desk. I think later on they then had them drop from the ceiling.
And when you say projectors I suspect we are talking actual film projectors. Not some tv projector like we have now.

I had to move my classroom because so many students kept showing up and my old classroom was the smallest in the building with the current space requirements. (Pic from during the moving phase).

The two 75" tv's I run off a Mac Mini with the 65" using a 4K Apple TV box to mirror the big screens. I can have all three showing the same thing or I can have two be the same with the third separate, or even all three as separate screens.

I also have an HDMI splitter for the two 75" screens for a blu ray player I use for the Exploring Film Through Writing Class with an audio cable running from one of the tv's to a simple stereo receiver where I have four speakers hooked up to as well adaptors to plug in an iPod classic and the Mac Mini.

At my desk I'm running a Macbook Air with a 24" monitor as a second screen.

I was writing a rock song for my generation at work today. I think I'm at least as angry as I was when I was a teenager but I'm mad about other things.

Windows

Wait, what the heck?
Why did they change it?
This is stupid!
It worked fine the way it was!

I can't find my files!
I can't find my apps!
(apps is a stupid name for programs)
My pop up menus drop down now.
(I see no innuendo in my Nintendo)
What idiot decided that?!

That's all I've got so far. Another song about plugs that are incompatible with sockets.

Last edited:
I had to move my classroom because so many students kept showing up and my old classroom was the smallest in the building with the current space requirements. (Pic from during the moving phase).

The two 75" tv's I run off a Mac Mini with the 65" using a 4K Apple TV box to mirror the big screens. I can have all three showing the same thing or I can have two be the same with the third separate, or even all three as separate screens.

I also have an HDMI splitter for the two 75" screens for a blu ray player I use for the Exploring Film Through Writing Class with an audio cable running from one of the tv's to a simple stereo receiver where I have four speakers hooked up to as well adaptors to plug in an iPod classic and the Mac Mini.

I didn't know they house classrooms in dungeons now.

oh yeah, here we go...this monster....

View attachment 36262

Horrible picture and sound, and probably weighed 2 tons

Yeah, that's just a 70s/very early 80s era projection TV. I thought those with the front projector lenses were pretty cool for some reason. By the 80s, most of those were phased out for an internal rear projection system which required less space.

I recall there was some cereal that ran a contest to win an Odyssey 2 with the UFO game and one of those types of TVs. The funny thing was that in the small print of the contest there was a note that playing video games on the TV could damage it. (You weren't supposed to use video game systems of the era with projection screens for some reason)

I remember thinking it would have been awesome to have one of those behemoth TVs (they were huge) with a RCA Selectavision CED player. That seemed like the pinnacle of home video tech in 1980 to my young mind.

Most of my schooling wasn't dominated by the AV cart. Instead, we watched film reels off a spooled projector. When you saw the projector sitting in the middle of the class, you knew it was going to be an easy period. Even when the AV cart with the TV and VCR started appearing when I was in high school, it was still a pretty even mix of projector and VCR presentations.

I remember when I was in second or third grade (77 or 78), my school rented an actual movie which they projected onto the cafeteria wall. The movie was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. My friend and I started cracking jokes that it was Shitty Shitty Bang Bang. There was some girl who was a well known tattle-tale and teacher's pet who heard us and said she was going to tell on us. We spent the whole movie scared we were going to get hauled out and whipped. It was probably second grade, come to think of it. We had a teacher then who was really quick and enthusiastic to give children a beating.

Wait...what's the unbelievable part?

Ooh get you with your lah-de-dah classroom, all tv screens and macs and neat rows on clean carpets!!!
I've got one screen on a table propped up by a giant set square because someone sat on the desk it's on and bent it, pushing it down by about 3 degrees. I've an A3 whiteboard next to the telly which means only half the class can see it.
The tables all come from sets which are meant to lock together but I've ended up with dog ends of several systems - all of which are incompatible with each other.

I bet your students do as they're told as well!

Bastards.

Behavior wise, yes they do. Work wise, not so much..to Many if it can't be directly related to a job and making money, they resist or often choose not to do the work, even after I show them how the underlying skills of what we do can be applied outside of the classroom.

My very first classroom was in a portable from 1970 with carpet so full of dust every step set off a cloud. A white board and a black board and an AC unit that would always break down on the hottest days of the year. I taught theatre in that portable...

Behavior wise, yes they do. Work wise, not so much..to Many if it can't be directly related to a job and making money, they resist or often choose not to do the work, even after I show them how the underlying skills of what we do can be applied outside of the classroom.
"Why are we learning this?", "What's the relevance of this?", "This is booring!" :weep::argh:

I teach Health and Social Care to 16 years plus. (Oldest student is in his 30s), they still resist if they can't see a direct application (despite me showing them how it relates to care, marries up to the unit specification or otherwise has relevance.)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back