Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Pithy answer - when it started sucking ;)

but more seriously, for music, I would think it would be defined by when the mass of the generation is 18-21, where much of your musical taste gets defined. Thus, definition of the individual members represents definition of the generation.

I’m not certain that millennials had that, though. I’m not sure they had “music that defined a generation”. There are big acts, for sure, but it’s hard to lump them all together. You can see a serious shift in the late 90s, however. Britney hit the scene in 1999. Madonna, Shania Twain, and Elton John all had hits in 1998. There are more.

But really, in the US, the end would be defined by the end of Grunge and Ska (visualize raleel spitting on ska). Down on the Upside from Soundgarden is fairly pop focused compared to previous efforts, and that was 1996. AIC unplugged was the same year, and their self titled was late the year before. It’s gotta be in that space.

after that I don’t think it was exclusively Gen X anymore, but might not be fully millennial. 10 years after this, Taylor hit the scene and it was definitely full millennial then.

Working in search engines in the early 2000s Britney was huge. A consistent #1-5 in top searches from 1999-2005 ish. She was like a shining star for me to know the day was going to be the normal abnormal.

Oh, I remember!

Cops in Ballard was my favorite. My dad grew up in Ballard.

Oh, I remember!

Cops in Ballard was my favorite. My dad grew up in Ballard.
My dad worked in Ballard. I used to see the carnage that was old folks walking the streets of Ballard in spring as all the concrete has popped up creating tripping hazards. It was like someone went to war on the elderly.

The shear number of accidents where the driver was dead before the accident occured was shocking.

The above post got me thinking...at what point did film/television/music become Millenial?
What was the Last Gen X sitcom, genre show, film or album?
The Millennials were born in the '80s and '90s, and take their namesake from their generation coming of adulthood at the turn of the millienium - I guess they would nominate anything after the year 2000 as being 'their era'.

Which is kinda total bullcrap, as it infers some kind of group inclusion/exclusion thing that never happened that way, but it's what they will likely say

I reckon the last of the big Gen X sitcoms from the USA would have been Seinfeld, Frasier, and Friends (the last two ran into the 2000s). I think that the last big Gen X music styles that bookend the era would have to be House Music and Grunge Rock.

But to paraphrase Robin Thicke, these lines are blurred to say the least

Last edited:
Pithy answer - when it started sucking ;)

but more seriously, for music, I would think it would be defined by when the mass of the generation is 18-21, where much of your musical taste gets defined. Thus, definition of the individual members represents definition of the generation.

I’m not certain that millennials had that, though. I’m not sure they had “music that defined a generation”. There are big acts, for sure, but it’s hard to lump them all together. You can see a serious shift in the late 90s, however. Britney hit the scene in 1999. Madonna, Shania Twain, and Elton John all had hits in 1998. There are more.

But really, in the US, the end would be defined by the end of Grunge and Ska (visualize raleel spitting on ska). Down on the Upside from Soundgarden is fairly pop focused compared to previous efforts, and that was 1996. AIC unplugged was the same year, and their self titled was late the year before. It’s gotta be in that space.

after that I don’t think it was exclusively Gen X anymore, but might not be fully millennial. 10 years after this, Taylor hit the scene and it was definitely full millennial then.

I think you really mean Ska-Rock/Punk (aka. third wave).

When I was getting into local/underground music in my late teens and early 20s I also found the attempt to combine rock/punk with ska a very awkward fit. The rhythmnic styles have little in common.

Then I discovered ska music was actually a form of Jamaican RnB with a touch of jazz and even American film soundtracks from the 60s that developed into rocksteady, reggae, dancehall, etc. When people say they hate ska I assume they mean 90s ska-rock as the 60s innovators to me are as fresh and soulful as ever.

I would worry more about people who didn't find her hot. That was kinda the point.

As a kid I wasn't sure about the intention of those jokes about her unattactiveness but Katey Sagal's attributes were clear as day to me.

I knew that Applegate was supposed to be the sexpot but she never did much for me, my prefence for curvier women like Sagal was definitely in gestation.

...and there was also Peg's daughter Kelly (Christina Applegate)! :shade:
View attachment 59379

It's a bit strange she didn't have a bigger career after the show but I think it was harder to move from tv to films back then and it was a while until prestige tv arrived. She was really good in Anchorman though, she doesn't seem to get much praise for her performance in that film for some reason.

Kinda ironic that Sagal and O'Neil are now such respected character actors when one recalls has disreputable Married with Children was at the time.

On Milch's (Deadwood) underrated, mystical surfer series John from Cincinnati, O'Neil gives one of his best performances and is impressively comfortable with Milch's dense, highly allusive monologues.

Sagal of course was one of the best things on the very uneven Sons of Anarchy. It was really her and her strong fellow cast members (Perlman, Callie, Mark Boone Junior and Kim Coates in particular) who kept that show watchable for me. One of the worse season finales ever though.

Applegate got hit with breast cancer in the late 2000s and more recently with MS. The show Dead to Me earned her several Emmie I think but her MS has prevented her from following up on that success and lead to her leaving acting. She's just doing voiceover work I think now.

The only person I've ever seen actually eat avocado on toast is my 77-year-old godmother.
Grew up with two trees in my backyard. An avocado tree and a nasty apricot tree. Don't get me wrong, I like apricots, they're just nasty on the ground to clean up. I digress though, I grew up putting avocado on toast. Hehe, and still do weekly when I can get them. :grin:

It's clear to me that Jetstream had no right to be polluting this thread with his Millennial hipster nonsense!
I demand the mods do something so I can feel validated!!
The next thing you know this thread will be full of stuff from the 2010s and people calling us boomers!!!

It's clear to me that Jetstream had no right to be polluting this thread with his Millennial hipster nonsense!
I demand the mods do something so I can feel validated!!
The next thing you know this thread will be full of stuff from the 2010s and people calling us boomers!!!
,⭐

There is a ton of stuff from the 90's coming back. 90's reboots - and the other night I actually noticed that they had Beavis and Butthead on TV, the "new episodes" - and they're rebooting King of the Hill.

It's like the past 30 years in television never happened at all and now Bevis makes fun of Tik Tok videos as fervently as he once did music videos. Picard is still on TV. It's a good time for nostalgic types.

Sagal of course was one of the best things on the very uneven Sons of Anarchy. It was really her and her strong fellow cast members (Perlman, Callie, Mark Boone Junior and Kim Coates in particular) who kept that show watchable for me. One of the worse season finales ever though.
My favorite memory of Sons of Anarchy was seeing an in-game advertisement for it while playing Anarchy Online.

ao123.jpg

Sons of Anarchy Online

i dunno about that. Nothing kills nostalgia like a reboot these days.
My wife and I watched the new Beavis and Butthead and it was pretty funny in a really corny way. Reminded you of being a teenager. Picard was awesome, even if the 3rd season was a bit... interestingly written. There are reboots and then there are reboots. I'm excited to see what they do with King of the Hill. :grin:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back