The Board Game Thread - What have you Played recently?

Smith

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Inspired by the Video Game thread, I thought it might be interesting to have a similarly themed thread based on people's board gaming experiences recently.

What have been playing?

Yesterday my kickstarter copy of Pax Pamir 2nd Edition arrived, and so my wife and I did a simple 2 player game so I could teach her the mechanics. I was loyal to the Ruskis, whilst she was loyal to my native Brits - we set about building armies and roads but I was able to battle her down to no British pieces - realising that fighting that fight was pointless, my wife switched tactics and joined the Ruskis - then stormed ahead in proving herself most influential with them! A court game was then afoot - which ultimately I lost, she had many more spies than I. I think that the moment she saw she was not only able to capitalise on my efforts to promote the Russian coalition, but leapfrog me in the process showed her the fun this game provides.

This game is beautiful not only in it's aesthetics but also in the flow of the game. It really is quite simple in concept but the decision space it creates is quite deep. You have only two actions a turn but if you are able to create a court that utilises the current favoured 'climate' you can get away with much more. The clay pieces truly are a treat to handle, too.

Gabriel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The partner and I have been on a Games Workshop kick the past few weeks. Most recently we've played:

Crypt Hunters = It plays quickly and is somewhat addictive. Turns out it's a reskin and rules modification of a previous 40K themed game called Lost Patrol.

Blackstone Fortress = I bought this game at launch. It sat forever before I assembled it. Then it sat forever until just recently we finished punching the cardboard, learning the game, and playing. Now I wish I had been playing it all along and had picked up some of the other supplements while they were available for reasonable prices. Anyway, it doesn't play so much like a dungeon crawler, but more like a boardgame version of a console tactical RPG, and for us that's a good thing.

40K = Yeah, tabletop miniatures instead of an actual boardgame. But I finally got the partner through all the tutorials and we had our first games that actually resembled "real" 40K games. We're still on starter box stuff and know absolutely nothing about the psyker step, but now we are playing at a very basic level.

E-Rocker

Not a goose
Reaction score
I have and enjoy the game Zombies!!! and its many expansions. Been thinking of getting that out for a little solo Halloween-season board game action. I don't recall if any of the expansions have official solo rules, but I know Zombies!!! Deadtime Stories has co-op rules, and it's usually easy to use co-op rules as solo rules.

Last edited: