The Call of Stevethulhu

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Stevethulhu

Studiously Indifferent
Reaction score
And why was I not informed about this? If it was TristramEvans TristramEvans, I want to lodge a formal complaint against him for self moderation.

If not, I strongly suggest a change in policy when it comes to informing people

The system should have sent you an email, Steve.

We have a policy that any moderation complaints are to be filed in this forum and not in other forums. Any posts that do so will be deleted as soon as they are caught.

Can we change the modbot icon to a goose?

The system should have sent you an email, Steve.

We have a policy that any moderation complaints are to be filed in this forum and not in other forums. Any posts that do so will be deleted as soon as they are caught.
If I got an email, my spam filters ate it.

As for a moderation complaints, I wasn't complaining about moderation. [redacted personal attacks]

I would like to request that from this date (15th January 2021), [Tristram] doesnt respond to any posts I make and I will do the same for him. And he will also refrain from indirect mockery of me, that stupid bingo card he made to insult me and all other forms of derogatory or inflammatory comments regarding me or anything I might post. And i will show him the same level of courtesy he shows me.

[redacted personal attacks]

Last edited by a moderator:
Stevethulhu said:
You are not supposed to interact with me. Ince again, I find your moderation suspect. And I know you won't do anything about this because I never get feedback.

Oh, and the rules are no politics. Saying everyone should get along and the blatant warring between posters should have a one drawn under them isn't politics, the last time I looked.

Allright, you wanted feedback. Here's the feedback.

You aren't above the rules and casting shade at me isn't a "get out of jail" card for you to flagrantly ignore the rules and then play the victim.

The resolution above? That wasn't you being given the ability to dictate rules to the moderators. That was me being amenable to simply ignoring you. And what does it very clearly say as a caveat? I'll quote it again since you appear to have not gotten it the first time:

TristramEvans said:
I will no longer acknowledge or respond to Stevethulhu's posts except in regards to any necessary moderation

I'll also quote for you the very specific rules of the thread you got a threadban from:

TristramEvans said:
1. Let's start with an assumption of good faith. Yeah, I know there's histry. I know there's posters here who really don't like each other, or at least dislike the opinions others have on this subject. But if we don't start from the assumption that people's responses are made in honesty and without a secret agenda, there's no point in discourse.

2. Leave the stuff that happens off the Pub off the Pub. OK, so maybe you encountered someone who said something somewhere, or you've heard some group express some opinion and it gets your goat. We get it. But unless it's something people actually present can account for or respond to, it serves no purpose to bring up. By that same token, try not to speak in generalities or group people together. We're all individuals with our own opinions, and everyone can speak for themselves.

3. Don't use any terminology without providing your definition. It just leads t continued assumptions and miscommunication. We're talking about stuff far too nerdy and too specialized to have a common dictionary definition to fall back on. In that respect, don't attack or argue with people over their definitions, that will get us nowhere and just take the conversation in circles. The point is not the terms themselves, it's understanding what a person means when they use them.

4. By that same token, part of acting in good faith is, once you know how a poster is using a term, respond to their points or arguments on those terms, not your own.

5. Obvious logical fallacies - goal-post shifting, strawmen, appeals to popularity etc. won't be tolerated. These are also bad-faith arguments. If you need a refresher on these here: https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/common-logical-fallacies. However, likewise, if you think a person is engaging in a fallacy or bad faith argument - let the mods arbitrate that, don't try to argue it with them.

6. If you find yoursef getting angry, or otherwise emotionally upset, step back, tae a breather, and remember none of this matters - at all. It may be you cannot change anyone's mind. The point here is for everyone to have the opportunity to communicate their POV and to foster understanding. Agreement isn't a necessary part of that. If you feel like you're arguing against a brick wall, just walk away. As long as you've clearly laid out your position, that's all that matters. there's no winners or losers. None of this affects your life or how you game.

7. Don't expect other posters to bend over backwards to reassure you that your PoV or your opinions are "Okay". You should already know this and not need anyone to tell you this. A person expressing their opinions and preferences should not be defacto interpreted as an attack on your own.

8. Jennifer Aniston and Brain Damage Boy don't need to be named or discussed. We already know their opinions, and the arguments they've made. This thread isn't about them.

9. No personal attacks, no group attacks.

10. As is probably implied, this thread will be more heavily moderated than usual. If you are upset with a mod call, then recall the Site and community forum is the right place to discuss that, and mods aren't obliged to put up with abuse anymore than any other poster.

That thread, clearly labelled as a Mod+ thread, indicating a different level of moderation applies, which was then made very clear several times throughout the thread on top of the OP, you dropped into twice to threadcrap saying that the discussion the thread is based upon shouldn't be taking place at all. The first time, you lucked out with simply a warning from Endless. The second time, you got a very lenient day-long threadban. If another moderator had gotten there first, you would have been permanently booted, but I was going easy on you on the assumption that maybe you simply hadn't bothered to read the OP. You know, one of those assumptions of good faith that your own posts were completely devoid of?

Instead you made it very clear that you simply think those rules don't apply to you. But then that's how this thread started, didn't it? Another case where you blatantly broke a rule, that time one we both knew you were very much aware of, and when your post was removed because of that, you tried to cry "mod bias" as an excuse. To be clear, you launched into a rant about how I was a horrible moderator and toxic influence on the board, because I disagreed with you about the definition of "canon" in a Star Wars thread. And hell, we didn't even say you weren't allowed to do that, we simply said you had to make any criticisms of moderation in the appropriate forum.

There isn't an excuse Steve. You not wanting to accept responsibility for breaking a rule isn't something that's a problem with me. And thinking you can dictate when and who gets to moderate you when you break the rules is a sense of entitlement that needs to be dropped post haste.

As indicated by the other thread, "A Change in Moderation" policy, while we wre discussing this bacjstage, Endless simply had enough of us bending over backwads to accomodate you. So the accomodation I made just to satisfy you is now out the window. Your attempt to take advantage of that is the straw that broke that camel's back. As one mod put it, "imagine him trying to argue a moderator shouldn't be allowed to interact with him on TBP". The moderation on the Pub is so slight, we are so open to both citicism and hearing out poster's PoV, and we are so reluctant to ban anyone here, that the fact you continually are running into issues with it, you really should consider, is your issue more than the board's.

And, I get that the truth of The Pub is, it's going to be very hard on any poster who takes personal issue with me. I'm one of the most active posters by a wide margin (only Dumarest ever posted more), and I'm involved in, not all, but most of the threads at some point. If you have a personal problem with me, it's very hard to also be an active poster here.

But your calls of "self moderation" aren't going to work as an excuse for your own behaviour. I didn't moderate me, I moderated you. When you broke the rules. Completely in my compacity as moderator. And the belief that because you were personally insulting me at the time that somehow gives you a free pass doesn't stand up to any logical scrutiny. The truth is, there is no time you were moderated by myself, ever, that anyone else looking at the situation thought that you were in any way treated unfairly. If anything, I've been excessively accomodating, and if the end result of that accomodation is this? Well, that's where it has to stop.

I've no doubt you're going to take this post as an attack, and I'm certainly not mincing words calling you out, but you should, if you want to continue to be a part of this community, take it as a wake up call. A lot of your posts are just fine, but periodically you get a bug up your ass about something and you become unecessarily excessively hostile, resorting to personal attacks, and even stooping to outright dishonesty to win some internet argument. And most of the time it's given a pass. But when a moderator, any moderator, including myself, puts on his Mod hat and takes one of your posts to task, you're going to have to just accept that. That's our job. It's not a personal vendetta against you, it's not a corrupt abuse of authority, it's you being held to the same standards as everyone else for the good of The Pub as a whole, because the only thing any Moderator here wants, myself included, is a friendly forum where we can shoot the shit about a hobby we all enjoy. And I can't imagine why you can't be a part of that.

Last edited:
You want to be treated as a moderator, stop attacking posters and act like a moderator. You have a habit of attacking the poster, not the post.

You moderate issues where you are one side of the dispute. In other words, you are part the problem, as well as being judge and jury for the issue you are involved in. Which makes you massively unprofessional. It also makes the rest of the moderators and admins look weak. And is the cause of my accusations of your self moderation. If you can't see it, and the rest of the staff can't, there's a systemic problem.

The simple fact is, nobody else has ever moved, edited or deleted anything I have posted. Also, none of the moderators on here, or any other forum I've been a member of, have made personal attacks against me. And yet you feel he need to repeatedly and publicly humiliate me. And then claim some kind of moral high ground for the fact that you're acting like a cyberbully.

A bully that gets tacit permission for his gross misconduct as a face of the forum from the admins.

You want to moderate me, fine. You want to shitpost stuff like this, taking a private report and making it public, that shows your true colours. And when you post things like this:

Let's just say that if I was an admin on a site where a moderator posted something like this about a forum member, that moderator would be severely reprimanded and probably fired if it was part of a consistent pattern of behaviour. Which it is.

And if you did it on TBP, you'd probably get a permanent ban, too.

On here? One rule for you, another for me.

I'm yet to be proved wrong about that feeling.

So for those who are even slightly interested, this kind of abusive, humiliating, conduct is my problem with TristramEvans TristramEvans.

The fact that you took my assertion that the only difference between the types of games is one of perception on the part of the person playing those games as bad faith, despite that being agreed with by a few posters who were very active in the thread, shows that you do in fact have issues with me. The fact that you then decided to air this particular load of dirty laundry in public is more evidence of that.

Obviously you don't want to see a Gripping Hand introduced to a discussion.

I don't trust you. I don't trust you not to edit this post or to turn it into yet another public humiliation in your relentless drive to put me down.

I dont want or expect preferential treatment. I would like people other than the mod who has repeatedly and clearly demonstrated a hostile attitude towards me to be involved in the process of moderating issues I may be involved in. There is zero impartiality at the moment. There is only TristramEvans, moderating things he has escalated and handing out punishments or humiliating the person he has issues with.

Which puts me in a position of not trusting the rest of the staff, as nobody else is taking charge of this mess. And puts the forum in a bad place, too. Look how many disputes that 18 months ago would have been friendly disagreements, have turned into open hostility. You can't tell me that a mod openly mocking posters, and worse, isn't contributing to the atmosphere here. I've helped run Five Rings Online, where similar problems occurred. It gets ugly and has the potential to snowball out of control.

To sum up, if you want to my respect, earn it back. You want to ban me, just do it. Otherwise, leave me alone. You don't have to be sole arbiter of my conduct. Last time I checked, there were other staff here. Ones that haven't demonstrated a need to humiliate and demean me.

Let them play, too.

You want to be treated as a moderator

No, I dont even know what that means. I am a moderator here, that's simply the situation. It doesn't require your trust or approval.

You obviously have your own ideas of what that means or should entail, but ultimately that choice is up to Endless and us as a group.

I'll deal with your other criticisms later.

Steve, some of the staff have suggested coming down harder on you than Tristram for recent posts. What do you want? I think you’ve gotten plenty of leeway to change some of your behavior. We aren’t asking for a lot.

I don't mind being named as one of the members of staff pushing for a more hardline approach.

Steve, for the record I a) told Tristam he'd been over lenient in that thread (if I'd handled it you'd have got a perma threadban) and b) suggested that at the very least you should be told to strongly consider leaving the forum. (You don't like the moderation and that's not changing. An increasing number of your posts are you complaining about how you don't like how the forum is run. You've claimed you're leaving several times and then gone back on it. All of that, in my view, suggests you might well be happier somewhere else or possibly setting up your own forum).

Funnily enough, one of the main people arguing against me on those things and suggesting a more leniant tack was Tristam.

At the very least, I'd say that your complaints that other moderators aren't moderating you enough might not actually lead to the result you may be hoping for.

Steve has obviously got it in his head that I have a personal vendetta against him, so when I moderate him the reaction is that it's me using my position to persecute him. I don't know how to disavow him of that notion, but I think I've bent over backwards enough being accomodating to him while still maintaining my role as moderator that there isn't much I could do at this point. Yeah, I did defend against flat out telling Steve maybe he should leave. Every bit of moderating we do here - even the stuff he complains about like removing/moving posts or threadbans - is in lieu of the way things are handled at other forums, where folks are simply banned. I find that's very extreme and often unfair, and shortsighted.

So...is that the thread where I can bring my growing impression that Stevethulhu Stevethulhu is being actively hostile towards simulationist/immersionist gaming as a playstyle, and doubly so towards anyone who claims it's not the same thing as storygaming:devil:?

I must add that I definitely don't want to see him gone. But sometimes he's kinda hard to extend the assumption of good faith to. Maybe it's just me being thin-skinned:thumbsup:.

This ain’t the thread to get a chuckle. Tread lightly.

That's why I basically asked if I should join at all:thumbsup:.

Dinna worry, I don't think Endless' comment was directed at you. I'm sure the person it was knows who they are

I think he's communicating the same thing he's communicated many times over again here - his contempt for The Pub and the staff, and his continued intention to troll.
No I have contempt for you as a mod. Well and a bit towards the moderation policies.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we had to ban Sommerjon today.

He is the fifth person we’ve banned in almost four years. We don’t take this action lightly.

Zak Smith, zweihander, Felixgaming, mythusmage and Sommerjon.

I feel like I’m saying Beetlejuice three times.

Oh yeah, Fox and the Nambla guy. What was Felixgaming up to, was that one of Fox’s sock puppets?

I don’t want to give any of them more time than they deserve. A little search will help anyone find what they are looking for.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back