The Comedy Thread: What tickles your fancy?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Nobby-W

Not an axe murderer
Reaction score
Post clips of stand-up acts or other comedic items here. Sometimes we all need a laugh.

Some Rhod Gilbert ...

On baked potatoes

On electric toothbrushes

On board games

Ranting about an electrician

Last edited:
I consider Pryor’s Live in Concert the greatest filmed stand-up ever. He mastered a cumulative storytelling approach to stand-up that lent a coherency to his performances and the 79’ film is him at his peak.

But due to probably strict copyright enforcement you can’t find much of his performance on YT. This 77’ TV performance gives you some idea of his brilliance although he obviously had to tone down his infamous profanity and ribald subject matter for TV.

Completely different in style but nearly as great I think is Steven Wright with his absurdist, minimalist string of non sequitur jokes. The writing here is amazing, so many ideas. Happily his entire 85’ special is currently on YT.

Last edited:
And finally this bit by Doug Stanhope is one of the best I’ve seen in the last number of years. Very vulgar though FYI.

If we're going to get NSFW let's recall the Master of NSFW.

I'm a big Stewart Lee fan. Very difficult to find anything by him that doesn't touch on politics...

I particularly like this parody of observational/political/nostalgia comedy...

Last edited:
Sebastian Maniscalco

This one is pretty funny. It's about how people feel about their doorbell ringing today compared to when we were younger

Joy Koy is probably my favorite comedian right now, on par with Fluffy and Maniscalco. His two netflix specials are riots

I'm a big Stewart Lee fan. Very difficult to find anything by him that doesn't touch on politics...

I particularly like this parody of observational/political/nostalgia comedy...

It's very difficult to find anything of his that's actually funny, too. Which I think is a source of pride to him, as he seems to like making his audience laugh in discomfort, rather than from his humour.

Most of the stand-up on Netflix lately hasn't been my thing but there is a new Marc Maron set up which is up to his usual high standards.

In case it's somehow unclear from the clip title, this bit is very much NSFW. I mean, unless you're working from home...

heh, I love On Cinema at the Cinema, the whole damn series is the most brilliant slowburn comedy. And him using his own murder trial to call an expert witness to debunk Gregg's claims about Star Trek 2 had me in tears.

heh, I love On Cinema at the Cinema, the whole damn series is the most brilliant slowburn comedy. And him using his own murder trial to call an expert witness to debunk Gregg's claims about Star Trek 2 had me in tears.

Yeah it is amazing, just watched Mister America last night which is their feature about Tim running for DA of San Bernardino after his trial, wherein they reveal the secret of
the hung jury.

Also just read an interview in Film Comment (from 2015) and found out that Gregg Turkington is also the meta-standup-comic Neil Hamburger!

I grew up on British comedy and in the 80s HBO / Showtime comedy specials. Monty Python, Peter Cook and Dave Allen at Large, from the British side, Bill Cosby, Bob Newhart, Robin Williams, George Carlin, Steven Wright, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, George Wallace, Jerry Seinfeld as well as a resurgence of earlier comedians like Rodney Dangerfield just to name a few.

I consider Pryor’s Live in Concert the greatest filmed stand-up ever. He mastered a cumulative storytelling approach to stand-up that lent a coherency to his performances and the 79’ film is him at his peak.

But due to probably strict copyright enforcement you can’t find much of his performance on YT. This 77’ TV performance gives you some idea of his brilliance although he obviously had to tone down his infamous profanity and ribald subject matter for TV.

Richard Pryor was a master of using comedy to address social issues. He is subtle, drawing you in by making you laugh and then when your guard is down he drops some heavy stuff on you to think about. His bit about visiting Africa in Live on the Sunset Strip is a great example of this. Sadly hard to find the complete piece online.

If we're going to get NSFW let's recall the Master of NSFW.

It is unfortunate that most will only know him for his role in Sanford and Son.

Craig Ferguson keeping up with and feeding off Robin Williams.

Rob

It would be hard for me to pick only one, but Robin Williams is on my short list. He was local to the SF Bay Area (where I grew up), and one of the first stand up comedians that I was aware of that wasn't something I learned of through my parents (Bill Cosby, Bob Newhart). His way out but thoughtful comedy was really in tune with me. Not so much the Mork & Mindy stuff, but his weird stream of consciousness stand up.

Celebrity deaths don't usually effect me but the suddenness and cause of death left me completely unprepared. His death hit me hard, it has only been the last year or so that I can watch him.

My personal favourite comedian (and I'm showing my age here) is Dave Allen. He's very Irish in that he tackles lots of issues to do with religion. And drinks heavily during his sets.

Loved Dave Allen at Large on KTEH Channel 54 (PBS) right before Dr Who.

Williams was a brilliant stand-up, his HBO special in the early 80s is classic, I find a lot of his filmwork too sentimental for my tastes, to me his best film remains The World According to Garp. But when you consider the demons he was always fighting that direction for him makes sense.

When he passed and so many expressed surprise I figured they must have never seen or forgotten his stand-up where he openly discussed his excessive drug use and general mental turmoil.

QOTD: When I'm In the company of men in a group like this I feel happy about my life choices.
- Sandy Toksvig.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back