The Cosplay Thread ("She Looks Very Healthy" Warning)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It's not? It looks like something out of a dollar store to me. Just look at the most recognizable part of the uniform- his crest. It looks terrible!

Yea the other costumes look nice but in addition to being inappropriate the Superman costume looks shoddy. If it was up to me I woulda used Apollo Creed's costume from Rocky IV

1918.jpg

I don't know how much or in what capacity Mr. USA is personally responsible for his outfit, but it's not that it looks shoddy or anything like that. I mean, you could even make the case that a superhero outfit is an American "national costume" (personally I would have gone for either a cowboy or some kind of stylized business suit), but even so it should have been something more generic. Tying it to a specific character IP, even Superman, just kind makes the whole thing . . . as you said, sad.
It's not like the Mexican pseudo-Aztec costume makes much sense, but yeah, the Superman one is rather sad.

It's not like the Mexican pseudo-Aztec costume makes much sense, but yeah, the Superman one is rather sad.
The weird part is I recall around 2007 or so another competitor did Superman as well.

I feel bubba with a check shirt, body warmer and MAGA hat would be more on point.

I feel bubba with a check shirt, body warmer and MAGA hat would be more on point.
I honestly have to ask: What’s a body warmer? That was slang for one’s SO in my youth, so I’m really confused right now.

I feel compelled to burst your bubble and say that I have never seen anyone who even remotely looks like this except at Rust Belt rallies on television. There are significant regional, ethnic, religious and cultural differences that make stereotypical representation of all Americans difficult at best.

The only American stereotype that I can confidently say is true from coast to coast is that a lot of Americans are fat.

Last edited:
I feel compelled to burst your bubble and say that I have never seen anyone who even remotely looks like this except at Rust Belt rallies on television. There are significant regional, ethnic, religious and cultural differences that make stereotypical representation of all Americans difficult at best.

The best part of stereotypes is that they don't have to be representative, only stereotypical. Hence, for example, the running sheep-shagging jokes about New Zealand. Really, we don't molest sheep in New Zealand at all. much.

The only American stereotype that I can confidently say is true from coast to coast is that a lot of Americans are fat.

I had to get a new chair as the combined weight of myself and the spawn crawling over me broke its predecessor through metal fatigue on the joint where the gas lift goes. So, I looked around for chairs rated for a heavy weight and found one rated for 220kg (500lbs). Needless to say it was American.

The best part of stereotypes is that they don't have to be representative, only stereotypical. Hence, for example, the running sheep-shagging jokes about New Zealand. Really, we don't molest sheep in New Zealand at all. much.

I had to get a new chair as the combined weight of myself and the spawn crawling over me broke its predecessor through metal fatigue on the joint where the gas lift goes. So, I looked around for chairs rated for a heavy weight and found one rated for 220kg (500lbs). Needless to say it was American.
If your little spawn is pushing you into the 500lbs territory it's time to put your spawn on a diet.

If your little spawn is pushing you into the 500lbs territory it's time to put your spawn on a diet.

I hope we come nowhere near 500lbs. The chair is built like a tank, though, and comfortably survived the tender ministrations of #1 spawn's climbing habits.

I don't think it will be long before the #1 spawn figures out how to climb over the fence. His gross motor skills are pretty on the ball.

I think Back to the Future's "Hill Valley" is supposed to be "Anytown, California." It was filmed at the Puente Hills Mall which is about 40-50 minutes away from me (with good traffic).
Gah, is the Puente Hills Mall still around even? I figured most malls have gone the way of the dodo.

I think Back to the Future's "Hill Valley" is supposed to be "Anytown, California." It was filmed at various locations in the Greater Los Angeles area.
The only thing I know about California is that it produces grapes and surfer punk bands, but surely it's not that cold?

Marty Mcfly is wearing pretty much what I wore during the eighties. Granted the UK is a little chiller than California but his attire didn't seem strange.

Gah, is the Puente Hills Mall still around even? I figured most malls have gone the way of the dodo.
According to Wikipedia it's still open.

The only thing I know about California is that it produces grapes and surfer punk bands, but surely it's not that cold?
Southern CA is built on a desert but northern CA can get pretty cold.

Southern CA is built on a desert but northern CA can get pretty cold.
Yeah, even in summer, weather in northern California is highly variable. When Mark Twain said, "The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco", he wasn't being metaphorical. You can go from bone-chilling fog to sweltering heat in an hour. When I am in San Francisco, I aim to have about 5 layers of clothing that I can wear or toss in my backpack as the weather shifts.

For some reason I find the expression on the face of the woman next to him priceless.

In other news, for the first time ever I understand the appeal of the Baroness
View attachment 41284
it is simple, G.I. Joe covers most of the hot girl categories
Baroness is the sexy librarian (with a little bit of leather queen on the side)
Cover Girl is the model
Jinx is the asian foreign exchange student
Lady Jaye is the tomboy girl next door, who cleans up good (also known as "the one you actually have a chance with")
Scarlett is the feisty red head
and Zaranna is the punk rock chick you hook up with that one time in the bathroom at the bar, who leaves you with a burning sensation when you pee

those guys at Hasbro had it all figured out.

Last edited:
Cover Girl is the model
Lady Jaye is the tomboy girl next door, who cleans up good (also known as "the one you actually have a chance with")
and Zaranna is the punk rock chick you hook up with that one time in the bathroom at the bar, who leaves you with a burning sensation when you pee

Hah nice breakdown. The Baroness has always been my favorite GI Joe girl. In the comics she was a radicalized aristocrat who could be ruthless and cold blooded but also sentimental and honorable. Ten year old me found her fascinating and it didn't hurt she had vampy black hair and was Eastern European.

Cover Girl is the model

I’m not sure what amuses me more: The realization I never had even an inkling of a crush on any GI Joe character back in the day, despite being a fanboy, or the number of your post as you enlightened me to Hasbro’s “appeal to their glands” thinking.

81D56C8E-0169-408A-8FC4-0E2D89D5F77C.png

I’m not sure what amuses me more: The realization I never had even an inkling of a crush on any GI Joe character back in the day, despite being a fanboy, or the number of your post as you enlightened me to Hasbro’s “appeal to their glands” thinking.

View attachment 41385
I promise you, the number thing was not intentional. as for the breakdown of the women from the Joes, it was something that one of my friends and I came up with when we were drinking, back in my college days.

I promise you, the number thing was not intentional. as for the breakdown of the women from the Joes, it was something that one of my friends and I came up with when we were drinking, back in my college days.

I feel like I should introduce you to the fellow I mentioned in another thread who has my GI Joe comics. He related tales of many hours spent discussing cartoons in his college days, though I believe he was more focused on anime.

In Northern California people wear layers because of the climate. Marty McFly’s 80’s layered look was a fashion statement across the country, though.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back