The Dank Memes

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
25314.jpg

This was almost word-for-word what I can remember my mother saying when I watched this with her as a kid.

I do think that people overemphasize the number of episodes that have a clear lesson. For every episode like "Eye of the Beholder", which has a clear point (Standards of Beauty can be subjective!), you have episodes, like the Matheson ones, that are thought provoking without having a single specific point. "Little Girl Lost" is built around the fear of not being able to help your child. "Terror at 20,000 Feet" is murky. Shatner is right to try and draw attention to thing on the wind, but everyone else is entirely reasonable in doubting him. It's the lack of a clear lesson that makes the episode so scary. Then you have episodes like "Time Enough at Last" that instead rely on cruel irony and the fear of losing the the ability to do the thing you love. And there are the goofy episodes and the sentimental ones as well.

This is where attempts to revive or duplicate The Twilight Zone usually fall on their face. Every episode makes a clear, underlined point, and being TV, it is a point they expect the audience they are trying to attract will agree with. It's something that the '80s version got right, providing a variety of kinds of stories. The most recent one, at least based on the episodes that I saw, fell deep into the trap of making every episode a lesson.

Anyway, that's enough of me overthinking TV shows for the Goofy Meme thread.

My daughter noted when I shared this with her, her other siblings and my wife that what we think it must be is actually what it has to be. Since it actually can't be "Luck Be In the Air Tonight". Since there is an "i" in air and air isn't showing the "i". lol.

It's still funny as hell but it is exactly as what we think is and I'm amused that I missed that. (stares off) I'll blame it on the fact that I'm still distracted over my DCC funnel fun last night and losing one character to falling off of a ladder. lol. Splat. He had a 5 luck so he was no big loss in my opinion.

You know, I never understood what the song "American Pie" is about. It's like I understand the words but I come with a complete blank regarding what they are trying to convey. What exactly was he planning to do at the had the levee not been dry? And where do the singing good old boys fit in? Are they in the back of the chevy all along? It's all so confusing!

You know, I never understood what the song "American Pie" is about. It's like I understand the words but I come with a complete blank regarding what they are trying to convey. What exactly was he planning to do at the had the levee not been dry? And where do the singing good old boys fit in? Are they in the back of the chevy all along? It's all so confusing!
It's a drug fueled trip into the singer's psyche. Or, you know, some other shit that sounds good. Don't let the need for rhyming overwhelm you.

The day the music died is the plane crash that killed half a dozen fifties rock stars. IRRC Richie Valance and the Big Bopper. Bye bye miss American Pie is a reference to the death of innocence and the American Dream. The levy is the source of water (life) and it's dry because the music was the water of life. The 57 Chevy is the emblematic car of the 1950s. The good old boys are drinking whisky and rye singing "this'll be the day that I die." because the youthful innocence of childhood is dead, the dream is dead, and the dark future of the nineteen seventies makes Warhammer 40k look like a sentimental feel good story.

I'm also pretty sure Don McKlane didn't like heavy metal. "And as I watched him on the stage, my hands were clenched in fists of rage, no angel born in hell could break that satan's spell. And as the flames rose high into the night to light the sacrificial rite I saw Satan laughing with delight, the day the music died."

The song was released in 1971, more than a decade after the 1959 plane crash.

I'm also pretty sure Don McKlane didn't like heavy metal. "And as I watched him on the stage, my hands were clenched in fists of rage, no angel born in hell could break that satan's spell. And as the flames rose high into the night to light the sacrificial rite I saw Satan laughing with delight, the day the music died."

The song was released in 1971, more than a decade after the 1959 plane crash.
I think that line is a reference to the Rolling Stones concert where they hired Hells Angels to provide security with a predictable outcome.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back