The Dank Memes

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
rSuDaWy.gif

For some inexplicable reason, the apartment complex where I live has decided they need to come into every apartment and change all the light bulbs. Why they're doing this, I can only guess, because light bulbs are explicitly left up to the residents in the lease. But last week they came in twice. The first time they came in and only changed the light bulbs in one area, saying they'd come back later that day to do the kitchen and other area. They didn't come back that day. Instead, they came back the next day, and checked the same area which had already been done, and left.

And then they came back in twice more because they had "forgot a stool" they used to stand on to change the high light bulbs. They hadn't brought a stool into my apartment.

I don't know what they're looking for. The people are contractors, not regular apartment maintenance. They're doing this to every apartment in the complex.

Therefore, this one seems appropriate:

privacy.jpg

I don't know about where you live, but here in Van it's required by law for 48 hours notice to be given before any apartment manager or otherwise enters a private residence

For some inexplicable reason, the apartment complex where I live has decided they need to come into every apartment and change all the light bulbs.
That is sketchy on so many levels. Like TristramEvans TristramEvans said, I don't know where you live but in California and New York, landlords (or their agents) can't just waltz into your apartment. Tenant law is usually pretty straightforward and easy to research; please do yourself a favor and look up your rights under the law!.

That is sketchy on so many levels. Like TristramEvans TristramEvans said, I don't know where you live but in California and New York, landlords (or their agents) can't just waltz into your apartment. Tenant law is usually pretty straightforward and easy to research; please do yourself a favor and look up your rights under the law!.
It makes me think either "casing the places" or "secretly installing something illegally." Why make it super inefficient by going into the same place multiple times? The only thing I can think of is they're trying to find a time when no one is home. I'd hide your valuables and check the new light bulbs.

It makes me think either "casing the places" or "secretly installing something illegally." Why make it super inefficient by going into the same place multiple times? I'd hide your valuables and check the new light bulbs.
There are a few things that don't make sense. If these are legit contractors, management is throwing away a shit ton of money on a nonsensical, inefficient scheme to change lightbulbs. Maybe if it was public/government subsidized housing it would make more sense. This thing is gonna bug me all night until I crack the code!

It makes me think either "casing the places" or "secretly installing something illegally." Why make it super inefficient by going into the same place multiple times? The only thing I can think of is they're trying to find a time when no one is home. I'd hide your valuables and check the new light bulbs.
It's the year of Covid. Everybody is friggin home!

I have tried to have this exact conversation, and I always stop because it sounds utterly mad when I hear myself saying it out loud.

The trick is trimming that shit way down to its bare essence and conveying it in normal-person imagery.

"It's a really dark comedy about a far future where humans are religious fascists wearing robot armor and fighting horror movie aliens and demons who want to kill us all. It's a board game originally, but they've made a bunch of video games and books too."

That's 46 words, which is about all the average date can take before tuning out. If you're lucky, they'll be cultured enough to get it if you say it's Dune crossed with Doom crossed with Lord of the Rings.

The trick is trimming that shit way down to its bare essence and conveying it in normal-person imagery.

"It's a really dark comedy about a far future where humans are religious fascists wearing robot armor and fighting horror movie aliens and demons who want to kill us all. It's a board game originally, but they've made a bunch of video games and books too."

That's 46 words, which is about all the average date can take before tuning out. If you're lucky, they'll be cultured enough to get it if you say it's Dune crossed with Doom crossed with Lord of the Rings.
I like 1. you did not say "grim dark" and 2. you avoided mentioning "space orks."

I can work with this.

My favorite elevator pitch for 40k comes from Rogue Trader.

For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, and for whom blood is drunk and flesh eaten. Human blood and human flesh - the stuff of which the Imperium is made.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. This is the tales of these times. It is a universe you can live today if you dare - for this is a dark and terrible era where you will find little comfort or hope. If you want to take part in the adventure then prepare yourself now. Forget the power of technology, science and common humanity. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for there is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed.

"board game"? The hell you talkin' bout Willis?

*Ahem* I choose my words carefully Tristram :tongue: :

I know in our little underworld the words "miniature wargame" means something, but I assure you that out there in normal-land the term "board game" will get the concept across way faster, and brevity is important because they're going to start tuning out your dork stuff PDQ. :wink:

I'm not convinced "wargame" is actually as obscure as people on the thread seems to think. It's definitely more widely known than RPGs, and those are practically mainstream these days.

I'm not convinced "wargame" is actually as obscure as people on the thread seems to think. It's definitely more widely known than RPGs, and those are practically mainstream these days.
You think? I can see that open for debate

105699901_3374893665933136_1632591065015911079_n.jpg

I could definitely see uplifted racccon pirates in a setting. Attracted by ocean garbage, they happened upon strange chemical/magic that had been dumped.

Now, there's gnome sized raccoons travelling around eating everything in site, grabbing what's shiny, and chewing up your nice things.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back