The Dank Memes

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I recognise that situation, but in 4E I've had martial characters with the same Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...
Yeah... 4E was pretty notorious for making everything the same in that way.
There really wasn't a difference between the classes anymore, every kind of ability or action just became a generic "descriptor X + damage Y + side effect Z".

I still think it would've made a great basis for a video game, but for PnP it just lead to all characters feeling 90% the same to play as all other characters and that just didn't cut it for anyone I've talked to who played it.

It was not a sameness problem. It was that the fighter suddenly suffered decision paralysis, because now there was more than swinging a weapon.

Yeah... 4E was pretty notorious for making everything the same in that way.
There really wasn't a difference between the classes anymore, every kind of ability or action just became a generic "descriptor X + damage Y + side effect Z".

I still think it would've made a great basis for a video game, but for PnP it just lead to all characters feeling 90% the same to play as all other characters and that just didn't cut it for anyone I've talked to who played it.
I strongly disagree, but off topic.

I strongly disagree, but off topic.
I think people who think they all played the same just never actually played the game or played it in the absolutely most shallow way possible.

There were problems with 4e but "every class played the same" was not one of them. Every class had the same at will, encounter, daily power structure, but that didn't make them play the same at all.

a4MeP6.gif

Last edited:
I think people who think they all played the same just never actually played the game or played it in the absolutely most shallow way possible.

There were problems with 4e but "every class played the same" was not one of them. Every class had the same at will, encounter, daily power structure, but that didn't make them play the same at all.
I strongly agree. Many of the complaints seem to be from people who didn't actually play the game. I didn't care for 4e as an RPG but thought it would make a decent combat engine for a video game, board game, or even skirmish miniature game.

I strongly agree. Many of the complaints seem to be from people who didn't actually play the game. I didn't care for 4e as an RPG but thought it would make a decent combat engine for a video game, board game, or even skirmish miniature game.
I always wanted a turn based strategy video game using the 4e system.

Last edited:
I've always thought the D&D aspect of 4e actually dragged it down. It wanted to be something else and could have been quite good at it.

I've always thought the D&D aspect of 4e actually dragged it down. It wanted to be something else and could have been quite good at it.

I like the Gamma World version based on a streamlined 4e. I was even ok with the cards aspect, though trying to make them collectible was stupid. I think 4e mainly failed to pass the sniff test of being D&D to too many people. But parts of it's structure are in 5e, with long and short rest replacing daily and encounter powers, respectively and most characters having a simple blast or attack constantly available.

I do indeed have favorite stove burners, one big and one small. I only use the other two if I already have two things cooking.
I do too, but more because of the four, one straight out doesn't work and one ticks ominously when turned on. So I just use the two on the left side that seem to more or less work and don't announce impending doom.
I like the Gamma World version based on a streamlined 4e. I was even ok with the cards aspect, though trying to make them collectible was stupid. I think 4e mainly failed to pass the sniff test of being D&D to too many people. But parts of it's structure are in 5e, with long and short rest replacing daily and encounter powers, respectively and most characters having a simple blast or attack constantly available.
I did like the Gamma World based on 4e, especially the random character gen. The game was really only made to play gonzo style stuff and couldn't be taken seriously really but it was fun for beer and pretzels style gaming. I also prefer how you can buy full sets of the cards from drivethru now (which I did). The collectible bit was always stupid.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back