The Dank Memes

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
that recipe is weird. I don't use sugar , scallions or imitation crab in mine, and it has no shrimp or spices
Yeah, the recipe is a bit shit. I wasn't doing serious research. I'd go with real crab, which obviates the need for sugar IMO, but I'd keep the scallions. I might be tempted to add just a sprinkle of star anise if I were feeling fancy.

For anyone who thought that scene in Prometheus was unrealistic...

did you account for the lost week when we switched over to the Gregorian calendar?
Those lost days (and the larger number of days the Russians lost later) were contrived to make the proleptic Gregorian calendar line up with the Julian calendar in the epoch when the Catholic Church proclaimed the dates of the Christian festivals (which was in the fourth century, IIRC), That means that some of them come pre-adjusted. The correction that remains to be made is three days (to bring the southern solstice back to 25 December).

Well technically I also have to adjust for leap years too which is remarkably more involved than most people are used to encountering in their lifetime. It's like add a day every 4 years unless it's divisible by 100 and then something different I'd it's divisible by 1000 and maybe something else if it's divisible by 400. It's more work. Whatever library function your programming language has for accounting for dates is what you should use.

Well technically I also have to adjust for leap years too
Yes, and that's exactly what the lovely and talented TristramEvans TristramEvans and I are discussing — the difference in the system of leap years between the Julian calendar and the Gregorian calendar.

In the [proleptic] Gregorian calendar leap years [would] have been omitted in AD 100, 200, 300, 500, 600, 700, 900, 1100, 1300, 1400, 1500, 1700, 1800, and 1900, which is fourteen times since JC was assassinated.

So the calculation goes: Caesar was murdered on 15 March 44 BC according to the Julian calendar, which would have been 18 March 44 BC in the proleptic Gregorian calendar. From 18 March 44 BC to 18 March AD 2023 will be 2,066 years, which will be 2 066 × 365 = 754 090 days plus the number of leap years. There would have been 2 066 div 4 = 516 leap years in that span except that the century rule eliminates fourteen of them, so there have been 502, for a total of 754 592 days from the assassination of Caesar to this coming Saturday. 754 589 days from the assassination of Caesar to today.

The easy rule of thumb, which involves some risk of a rounding error of one day, is to multiply the number of years from the Ides of March 44 BC to this coming Saturday by the average length of a Gregorian year, which is 365.2425 days, and then round up. 2 066 × 365.2425 =754 591.005, which rounds up to 754 592. And then you subtract three days wanting until Saturday: 754 589 days from the Ides of March 44 BC (Julian) to 15 March AD 2023 (Gregorian).

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back