The Dank Memes

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
1684341055712.png
I... don't have the words.

"Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode,
The rolling English drunkard made the rolling English road..."

Here I thought that was the standard for kindergarten? It's the standard right?
No it apparently disappeared in the 70s. Kindergarten now is different. Not quite the same as when we were kids at it shoots to be more academic but it has such a range of kids it has to do a lot of work to get kids just to follow in a line, write letters if they don't already know, do numbers. It gets a range of kids from ones who went to academically rigorous Pre-K where kids might come out reading to kids who have never seen any kind of group classroom at all. It has to do a lot to establish a base level of behaviour and knowledge of both just how a school environment works to being away from parents for longer periods of time to basic academic skills.

When I tell my wife we used to put down mats and take naps in kindergarten she looks at me like I came from a different planet or I'm high as hell.
Me, it was the 60's, and we didn't get a mat, we just slept at the desk with our arm as a cushion.
But I still do naptime at work, when nobody is looking (hate afternoon meetings!).

No it apparently disappeared in the 70s. Kindergarten now is different. Not quite the same as when we were kids at it shoots to be more academic but it has such a range of kids it has to do a lot of work to get kids just to follow in a line, write letters if they don't already know, do numbers. It gets a range of kids from ones who went to academically rigorous Pre-K where kids might come out reading to kids who have never seen any kind of group classroom at all. It has to do a lot to establish a base level of behaviour and knowledge of both just how a school environment works to being away from parents for longer periods of time to basic academic skills.
We still had naptime at my kindergarten in 1983.

The teacher kept all the mats (we had to bring one to school when we started the year) behind the free-standing chalkboard. We put our chair on our spot on the shared tables, stood in a group and come forward when called to get ours, then we found a spot on the floor, laid out the mat, and had a nap. I have no idea how long it actually was, but since I was never one to fall asleep during the day and I was six, it seemed like about eighty years per day. Then, the teacher woke everyone up, we bundled up our mats, then she used the roll call list to have us come up and hand over our mats for storage. Once you handed over the mat, you went and got your chair back down off the table and sat down. Once everyone was done and calmly in place, we started up the last bit of the day before time to go to the buses.

I listed all that out, because after reading your post, I realized that the naptime ritual was being used to teach us organized process as you describe. It was, of course, a bit more chaotic, given that we were five and six year old who'd had recess and a snack beforehand, but looking back I think it worked.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back