The Drawing as a Hobby Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Nobby-W

No, I have not got an onlyfans site.
Reaction score
IDK, some people have a better sense for shapes in 3D for example. Or better (finer) hand eye coordination. Or whatever. Different brains aren't equally good at the same tasks. I'm not saying those people can't draw only that they might need some additional scaffolding that other people don't. I do agree that it's a Carnegie Hall kind of affair though, for anyone.
I think some people think in 3 dimensions more easily than two. I can deal with physical models of 3D objects much more readily than I can mentally come up with a two dimensional drawing. I've had one or two arty types (back from the days when I used to flat with fine arts students) comment that everything I did always had depth or was always 3 dimensional.

Funnily enough my mother used to teach structural geology papers which require the ability to visualise things in 3 dimensions. She commented that the distribution of marks you saw from those courses were always bimodal. You got the folks who could and the folks who couldn't. She thought that some people had the cognitive faculties to visualise stuff in 3 dimensions and some people didn't, and that tended to be the main element in whether people could really grasp the material.

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well I'm still at the stick men and smiling suns preschool stage of drawing, so I really am in awe of some people's ability to just bring their imagination on to a page. It was interesting to see that Tristram just essentially drew the Gnoll without prior stages, even mental ones as such.

Spellslinging Sellsword

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I haven't drawn anything beyond a doodle in probably 20 years. I was half-way decent at looking at a drawing and redrawing it on another piece of paper. I struggled to draw anything from an idea in my head.

hawkeyefan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
When I was younger I absolutely wanted to be a comic book artist. I had a knack for it....but mostly for static images like a cover. I lacked a lot of the fundamentals for comics like storytelling or being able to draw mundane shit like buildings and cars and so on.

I probably should have stuck with it in some way and maybe I’d have gotten better at those parts. Now I’m so out of practice I can barely doodle.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com