The Entertainment Industry's Dilema

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
With only a few owners of most of radio, most of it is pretty boring now. I listen only ~15 minutes/week, when others are in the car. I listen to books in the car when alone (Thank you library and Overdrive). I'm not surprised that it's slowly dying.
In the pre Covid when I worked in the office it was in an expensive and trendy ZIP code; most of my coworkers had privileged backgrounds. When my coworkers learned I listened to radio they kinda ribbed me because "radio is for poor people". Crazy huh? I think radio has a purpose. I've been listening to KROQ for like 30+ years because it's the best way hear new stuff and expand my horizons with music I normally wouldn't listen to. Oh and I listen to an 80's station too because I 'm crazy for 80's new wave. And a classic rock station when the other two don't have anything good playing. I live in Greater Los Angeles area I have found the radio selections aren't nearly as good in most places; I travelled a lot in the 90's and early 00 to find the radio stations across America were just awful.

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I love listening to NPR on the radio. When I had to go into work, I listened to NPR, Podcasts, Music or Books depending on how I felt that day. Tiny Desk and Fresh Air are always nice to listen to, and Tiny Desk is how I discovered several great artists.

Chris Brady

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Take what the Wall Street Journal says with a grain of salt, they're owned with old Network money, so they are opposed to streaming in general.

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Reaction score
Take what the Wall Street Journal says with a grain of salt, they're owned with old Network money, so they are opposed to streaming in general.
Rupert Murdoch IIRC, so it's going to have his activist agenda. See also Fox Television, The Sun.

JRT

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Then why would they write an article saying it's doing really well, they should be badmouthing it.

Rupert Murdoch IIRC, so it's going to have his activist agenda. See also Fox Television, The Sun.
But there's no real political agenda here either. It's not involving a political agenda, nor does Rupert own or is invested in any of the companies. None of the streaming services have his involvement.

WSJ is aimed at providing investors with accurate information so they can choose what to invest in, and this was a report on what a media metrics company had surveyed and accurately reported.

I can take it with a "grain of salt", but I also tend to trust sources like the Hollywood Reporter and WSJ. It's okay to be a little skeptical, but I'm not going to fall into the trap of cynicism where people think the "Mainstream Media is lying to you" as the default whenever they don't agree with the message, which to me is a problem that has serious consequences for our civilization.

JRT

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Speaking of that, here's another interesting article on the Streaming services, noting the unique challenges they will all have to face.

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Reaction score
Regarding WSJ and business reporting. They sometimes have scary good sources for information. I was at a company going public and WSJ seemed to have the only reporters who actually understood what was going on in the company. Sometimes they were reporting stuff before employees even knew what was going on. Turns out they had one of the executives admins as an informant.

Chris Brady

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Then why would they write an article saying it's doing really well, they should be badmouthing it.
I'm not saying they're wrong, but they have a slant, take that into consideration. A lot of the reports on Netflix made claims that have yet been unsubstantiated. Again, they may be reporting it accurately, but they do have an angle.

JRT

Legendary Member
Reaction score
That one you mention might not be considered a blockbuster, so it could be more likely to go direct to PVOD like several other mid-tier movies. Unless you were itching to see that one in the theater.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
That one you mention might not be considered a blockbuster, so it could be more likely to go direct to PVOD like several other mid-tier movies. Unless you were itching to see that one in the theater.
I'd be fine with that, I just want them to hurry up and get it out

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com