The fastest gun in Hollywood

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
Fun fact: Peter Breck, who played Nick Barkley on The Big Valley, was reportedly able to draw his gun in 16/100ths of a second, making him the fastest draw in Hollywood history.

63026e34b9fa3ea92cb6012e73c0ab9b.jpg

Nick was always my favorite brother among the Barkleys (I liked them better than the Cartwrights...)

I think Buster Scruggs could give him a run... :smile:

Nick was always my favorite brother among the Barkleys (I liked them better than the Cartwrights...)
Of my three favorite Western TV series: Cannons of Arizona > Barkleys of California > Cartwrights of Nevada :thumbsup:

Man that should be an RPG right there. Toss in Luke McCain, Jim Maverick, Matt Dillon, and Dr. Bill Baxter... oh man. That would be awesome.

...Luke McCain...Dr. Bill Baxter...
Frontier Doctor doesn't get much play...is it even in reruns? It only lasted one season.

We're using the image of Chuck Connors as Lucas McCain over in the Boot Hill PBP. You should quit the chuckline, mosey over to your lineback dun, saddle up, and ride into Pima County.
ml44541_created.png

I think Buster Scruggs could give him a run... :smile:

1. initiative. Scruggs wins
  2. free action draw, action to shoot. Close range gets choose location. Buster is extremely good, so the penalty for a pistol doesn't impact him much. hits, chooses head. Serious Wound to head, endurance fails to beat Scruggs' roll
  3. people spend action to stand up because they can't draw sitting down apparently
  4. bartender is surprised or intimidated by him taking down the guy he insulted
  5. Scruggs shoots and scores. could easily be a drop foe here.
  6. people spend action to draw pistols
  7. bartender turns around
  8. Scruggs shoots and uses Flurry (aka double tap) and hits both times. Because he didn't choose location once, one guy goes down but doesn't die, serious wound stuns him for a minute though. other one goes down
  9. bartender reaches for gun
  10. Scruggs shoots, scores
Scruggs is clearly a master of his weapon. He can survive the penalty and still be taking down guys. He has the advantage of positioning (standing) and a quick draw ability. None of those other guys have a quick draw.

1. initiative. Scruggs wins
  2. free action draw, action to shoot. Close range gets choose location. Buster is extremely good, so the penalty for a pistol doesn't impact him much. hits, chooses head. Serious Wound to head, endurance fails to beat Scruggs' roll
  3. people spend action to stand up because they can't draw sitting down apparently
  4. bartender is surprised or intimidated by him taking down the guy he insulted
  5. Scruggs shoots and scores. could easily be a drop foe here.
  6. people spend action to draw pistols
  7. bartender turns around
  8. Scruggs shoots and uses Flurry (aka double tap) and hits both times. Because he didn't choose location once, one guy goes down but doesn't die, serious wound stuns him for a minute though. other one goes down
  9. bartender reaches for gun
  10. Scruggs shoots, scores
Scruggs is clearly a master of his weapon. He can survive the penalty and still be taking down guys. He has the advantage of positioning (standing) and a quick draw ability. None of those other guys have a quick draw.
He disqualified himself by shooting a man in the back. :tongue:

Is that from some comedy movie?

Yeah it's a Coen Bros. anthology. This was the titular short - the Ballad of Buster Scruggs. It's by far the best in show.

lovely little parting cowboy song too. I don't wan't to spoil it. Worth watching just for the first short.

Dumarest - by chance do you own a console? Because I don't know whether I'm bummed that you don't or excited that you do - and haven't played Red Dead Redemption 1 or 2.

Dumarest - by chance do you own a console? Because I don't know whether I'm bummed that you don't or excited that you do - and haven't played Red Dead Redemption 1 or 2.
Just looked up what you are referring to...I don't really like video games...the only console I own is by the steering wheel in my van. :wink:

Oh man... you would *love* Red Dead. It's the only videogame that was meant for *you* to play. It's worth the price of entry if only for you to play this one game.

Edit: and I'm an OLD MAN and I play videogames - you can do it!!!!!!!

Oh man... you would *love* Red Dead. It's the only videogame that was meant for *you* to play. It's worth the price of entry if only for you to play this one game.

Edit: and I'm an OLD MAN and I play videogames - you can do it!!!!!!!
I have no time even if I were inclined to try it...I barely watch an hour of television any given week. Plus this is the maximum complexity of controls I can handle when it comes to video games:
63.jpg

BAH!!!!! those games are HARD by today's standards. Seriously. I have very little time too - but you know, I make time for my hobbies. If you can handle Kung Fu Mater and Karate Champ - you can be whipping ass: Playing poker/blackjack, Stealing horses, Fishing, Hunting, Robbing banks/people/stores/trains etc, visiting prostitutes, doing good/bad deeds, finding wild horses to tame, being an outlaw, cooking etc. etc. - all of which are part of the game.

I want to be clear about Red Dead. It's not "just and action-game". Its a cowboy simulator. It really is. I walked into a saloon to do a "mission" and saw some guys playing poker - and I said I'll play a few hands to make an extra buck. I played poker for 5-hrs straight...

heh I'm just sayin' there is sooooo much to do in Red Dead beyond just the insanely good story. It's pretty damn close to being a solo-sandbox game that you feel you can do whatever the hell you want in. AND it happens to be a cowboy RPG. No crazy magic. No lazers. It's like the apotheosis of Louis L'Amour, John Huston, Larry McMurtry, and Sergio Leone created a massive sandbox for you to play cowboy in.

Neither of these hombres should fuck with this guy.

Yeah it's a Coen Bros. anthology. This was the titular short - the Ballad of Buster Scruggs. It's by far the best in show.

lovely little parting cowboy song too. I don't wan't to spoil it. Worth watching just for the first short.

I liked the Buster Scruggs story but would give the Jack London story with Waits and the Zoe Kazan story the edge on it.

OT perhaps but also gotta love this hilarious and classic scene with Clift in Red River.

This was the movie that made me love classic Westerns as I grew up on the Spaghetti and Revisionist Westerns of the 70s.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back