The Last Moderation Discussion thread of 2023

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Andrew J. Luther

It’s all just a game
Reaction score
I’ve held it in long enough, but I have to get this off my chest.

In the Media and Video Games section, why are “What are you listening to” and “What are you watching” threads stickied, but the “What you are reading” thread is not?

What’s going on here? Is this some kind of weird conspiracy to drive me crazy? Consistency matters, damnit!

I’ve held it in long enough, but I have to get this off my chest.

In the Media and Video Games section, why are “What are you listening to” and “What are you watching” threads stickied, but the “What you are reading” thread is not?

What’s going on here? Is this some kind of weird conspiracy to drive me crazy? Consistency matters, damnit!
Because the readers are tidier and tend to get a napkin?

img.jpg

I wondered the same thing when I first started reading the Pub; the answers to the question are the reason I keep coming back here lol

Agree, I am shocked at what a time sink that thread has been for me, and I'm not even particularly well invested in WOTC or 5E.

Lol, I had to stop reading it as it was too much of a time sink. I agree that what WoTC is doing is garbage, and I like that the rest of the industry is rising to oppose them, but beyond that, I'm going to stick with the Cliff Notes version :smile:

Lol, I had to stop reading it as it was too much of a time sink. I agree that what WoTC is doing is garbage, and I like that the rest of the industry is rising to oppose them, but beyond that, I'm going to stick with the Cliff Notes version :smile:
I keep getting pulled back in by reactions to my posts. I wonder... what was that reaction for? And then I'm pulled back in...

I second sticking up the Reading thread. I'd also point out that the Videogames thread isn't stickyed in the Media and Video Games section. What's up with this?

I keep getting pulled back in by reactions to my posts. I wonder... what was that reaction for? And then I'm pulled back in...

Me too, my notifications for that thread are pretty much wiping out all other notifications.

I wish someone would start a TLDR thread on open content licensing, and just post significant news on the front. I can't keep up with everything, and on one hand I don't actually care that much since I play RuneQuest and Cold Iron, and robertsconley robertsconley has pointed out Blackmarsh is "safe". On the other hand, most of what I DO purchase is from some segment of the OSR. I haven't paid attention to how it is all licensed but some of it must be OGL, and in general I would be sad if the OSR's wings are clipped by what's going on.

I wish someone would start a TLDR thread on open content licensing, and just post significant news on the front. I can't keep up with everything, and on one hand I don't actually care that much since I play RuneQuest and Cold Iron, and robertsconley robertsconley has pointed out Blackmarsh is "safe". On the other hand, most of what I DO purchase is from some segment of the OSR. I haven't paid attention to how it is all licensed but some of it must be OGL, and in general I would be sad if the OSR's wings are clipped by what's going on.
Summary so far:
WotC wants VTT control. So they're trying to revoke the OGL. If we let them do so without a fight. So far the OGL 1.0a stays or my money goes elsewhere is winning. I say that because they keep giving things up to negotiate. That wouldn't happen if they didn't have to.
Paizo and other are working on creating a new license and I suspect SRD with a crapton of mechanics so everyone can keep publishing without fear of lawsuit.
Until WotC releases an official OGL update that's where it stands.

Sorry french guy here, so when I read...

because we French people (with the exception of Muslim French people) are the most unreligious people on this planet.

To give non-french people a bit of context that's about as intelligent as saying that all white americans are gun-nut fascists.

TLDR: this is, at best, ignorant, at worst, it's far right propaganda.

I also think that this post is breaking the "non-political" rule of the forum. Moderator action would be appreciated.

There is obviously a cultural context that I'm missing here. What does the claim that the French people are not religious (presented as an explanation for not having an equivalent to "the Satanic Panic", which was a phenomenon among the religious right in North America, in France) have to do with "far right propaganda"? Also, since the claim is, in context, nothing to do with race and presented complimentary, how can it as a claim be compared to "saying that all white americans are gun-nut fascists"?

Note that this question is only for posters from France or who have legitimate intimate knowledge of that country/culture (particularly Lychee of the Exchequer Lychee of the Exchequer and Kobayashi Kobayashi), not an open invitation for political debate. I simply am looking for clarification on a subject in order to know how I should proceed as a Moderator, so please direct responses only to myself and the mods, not each other.

There is obviously a cultural context that I'm missing here. What does the claim that the French people are not religious (presented as an explanation for not having an equivalent to "the Satanic Panic", which was a phenomenon among the religious right in North America, in France) have to do with "far right propaganda"? Also, since the claim is, in context, nothing to do with race and presented complimentary, how can it as a claim be compared to "saying that all white americans are gun-nut fascists"?

Note that this question is only for posters from France or who have legitimate intimate knowledge of that country/culture (particularly Lychee of the Exchequer Lychee of the Exchequer and Kobayashi Kobayashi), not an open invitation for political debate. I simply am looking for clarification on a subject in order to know how I should proceed as a Moderator, so please direct responses only to myself and the mods, not each other.
I believe the subject of the report wasn't the coment on french people being irreligious, but rather the comment insinuating that French Muslims are very religious.

Yeah, I'm confused as well. About the only thing I know about this issue is that France are officiallly a secular state so further clarification would be really helpful!

The problematic passage was in bold, basically french people are unreligious except french muslims.

Why the focus on muslims ?

Let's go for context then
Muslims are under heavy attack by far right groups in France and in the media. Universities are called "Islamo-gauchistes" (islamists-lefties) if they even dare question France's colonial past (and this accusation was made by the person in charge of french universities). The past presidential election was quite ugly on that regard, the far right candidate being the actual president's main rival two times in a row. Fringe catholic groups are in bed with far right groups, fighting against same-sex marriage and abortion rights (among other things). So how come the phrase comes as "because we French people (with the exception of Muslim French people)" ? Some french catholics can be pretty agressive too.

Hypothesis 1: french people are unreligious unless they're ... religious? Thanks Captain Obvious!
Hypothesis 2: french people are unreligious except muslims ? Except muslims in France are like any other french people: they're religion might be important to them but it's not followed very strictly and most of all they don't bother anyone with it.

Another point of context
Making a difference between "french" and "muslim french" is a big no-no here and it's a distinction that is usually done by far-right groups.

I believe the subject of the report wasn't the coment on french people being irreligious, but rather the comment insinuating that French Muslims are very religious.

Thank you, I don't think that was that hard to spot.

Last edited:
Sorry french guy here, so when I read...

To give non-french people a bit of context that's about as intelligent as saying that all white americans are gun-nut fascists.

TLDR: this is, at best, ignorant, at worst, it's far right propaganda.

I also think that this post is breaking the "non-political" rule of the forum. Moderator action would be appreciated.

I think this is a case of bad phrasing, Muslims are by definition religious, like Catholics, Hindus etc. With so many conflating Muslim with people of Middle Eastern descent though I can see the cause for concern.

The poster is wrong anyway, France doesn't even make the top 10 of least religious countries.

I think this is a case of bad phrasing, Muslims are by definition religious, like Catholics, Hindus etc. With so many conflating Muslim with people of Middle Eastern descent though I can see the cause for concern.

The poster is wrong anyway, France doesn't even make the top 10 of least religious countries.

You point the main problem that may go beyond bad phrasing, why not saying:
_because we French people (with the exception of catholic French people)
_because we French people (with the exception of jewish French people)

Which would mean... french people are unreligious unless they're ... religious? I really try to be charitable here, but I don't think it boils down to bad phrasing.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I don’t think it’s necessary to point out a specific faith. Everyone can be their own judge on who is religious or not. I knew people who went to church every Sunday and that was as religious as they got. Other people I knew never went to church and believed in a higher power.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back