The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I made
Bread & Butter Ghost Pepper pickles and Garlic Dill Ghost Pepper pickles cuz I can.

Son is taking 3 weeks of leave and will be home on Sunday, I'm starting the marinade for around 6 pounds of jerky later today.

Cast Iron is also IMO the best way to cook eggs, especially omelettes.

I gotta try this. Maybe when I’ve built up the seasoning a little further.

I approve of that message:grin:!

For a chef's knife, however, I use a ceramic knife that I got for the kingly price of about $3, and cuts like a razor. With proper use (meaning not dulling or nicking the edge), I suspect it would also last damn near forever:shade:!

Same here. Though my mother-in-law did get me a hunting knife (!) that I am sometimes tempted to use for slicing roasts. :worried:

They're nice glazed/caramelised - with steak.
That made me think of cebollitas asadas (roasted little onions), often eaten with dried beef (cecina de res). But a shallot is not an onion, right?

cebollitas asadas
6f1ab5052e84e6905cebfe0a2bcadd87.jpg

Tomorrow's lunch in progress:
20190630_222756.jpg
20190630_222943.jpg
20190630_223106.jpg
Pickles not pictured as they'd soak through before I got to eat the sandwich. I bring them in a separate container to add when ready. :thumbsup::eat:

Got some items percolating for tomorrow festivities.
Couple pounds of big scallops with a dry rub of paprika, black pepper, orange peel, ground ginger, garlic powder, salt, sumac, thyme, and lime peel.
Currently have some chicken breasts in a brine of lemon shandy beer, aminos, thyme, rosemary, coriander seeds, black pepper, minced garlic, and ginger paste.
We got some camel burgers at a local butcher shop. See how that goes over.

Have a celery root and some brussel sprouts to grill up as well, oh and some parsnips.

And if the meats fall flat have a back up plan of a couple pounds of salmon with orange and lemon slices couple sprigs of dill(fresh) and thyme(fresh)

Got some items percolating for tomorrow festivities.
Couple pounds of big scallops with a dry rub of paprika, black pepper, orange peel, ground ginger, garlic powder, salt, sumac, thyme, and lime peel.
Currently have some chicken breasts in a brine of lemon shandy beer, aminos, thyme, rosemary, coriander seeds, black pepper, minced garlic, and ginger paste.
We got some camel burgers at a local butcher shop. See how that goes over.

Have a celery root and some brussel sprouts to grill up as well, oh and some parsnips.

And if the meats fall flat have a back up plan of a couple pounds of salmon with orange and lemon slices couple sprigs of dill(fresh) and thyme(fresh)

Sounds like quite the feast!

What’s the deal with the rub on the scallops, though? Sounds mighty fierce for such a delicate critter.

The Camel meat burgers turned out awesome!

Scallops were fantastic and the brined chicken was superb. Kinda blackened(burnt) the celery root(a bit) but didn't effect the flavor much.

Last edited:
A creamy, eggy, custardy flan like crustless “pie” that is not too sweet and you can make with almost any fruit. Quite nice to have for breakfast.

Rob

A creamy, eggy, custardy flan like crustless “pie” that is not too sweet and you can make with almost any fruit. Quite nice to have for breakfast.

Rob
It's the fruit I'm worried about as I'm rather picky in that department.

Just got back from Russia, so I've had two glorious weeks of eating loads of different Russian/Bashkort dishes. Pure bliss. We only ate in a few times, as eating out is relatively cheap.

Ploff is probably my favourite dish of the area, small chunks of barbecued meat fried with rice. A bit like paella, but not really. Lovely.

Use whatever fruit you want. Traditional is with cherries but I have used blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and pears. Pears actually are quite nice in Clafoutis, sliced thin.

Rob
Good. I really only enjoy most fruits in juice form, or sometimes canned with syrup. Notable exceptions: bananas, and apples and pears, but they need to have their peal and core removed. It's the peals, seeds, pulp and other hard bits in most fruits that I can't stand. It just spoils the whole experience for me, even if the taste is nice. There's also a bunch of fruits, mainly all kinds of berries, which simply taste too sour for me. Mango is good, if not off-season.

Threw a 2 lb chuck roast and half a bottle of BBQ sauce in the crock pot & let it cook on low for about 18 hours. Super lazy, but really tasty. Had some store-bought potato salad (the mustard-based kind) for a side.

Silly question here, but what is exactly meant by the term "Canadian Bacon?" I have heard the term my whole life, but have never inquired into its meaning.

Silly question here, but what is exactly meant by the term "Canadian Bacon?" I have heard the term my whole life, but have never inquired into its meaning.

It’s what Americans call a type of cured pork, often the loin and usually lightly smoked. Canadian’s just call it ham.

Rob

Ahh, I see. Ok, cool.
The only bacon that we eat up here that looks like that is some cuts of Peameal Bacon. For the most part, in my experience, when Canadians refer to bacon they are talking about thin strips of pork, with lots of fat, which are fried and usually eaten at breakfast.

Aka, streaky bacon. Good at breakfast, on burgers, etc. I prefer the center cut, not as fatty.

One of my local meat markets makes butt bacon, taken from the pork butt. Makes the best BLT’s.

Rob

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back