The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
We bought some chicken wings from Tesco, basically a whole tray of them. As they were not frozen, my wife cooked them all up in the evening, so now we have two plates piled high. They were really nice, but my wife told me I could only have 4 of them, so they'll take an age to eat. Maybe Roast Beef today, which we rarely have, but we might have chicken as well.

My wife is going to prepare enfrijoladas and carlota de limón for my birthday today!

I don't even know what that is but it sounds delicious.

Just googled it, yes it looks delicious too.

Oh, and Happy Birthday! :cake:

It’s what Americans call a type of cured pork, often the loin and usually lightly smoked. Canadian’s just call it ham.

Rob

Fun fact: here in Brazil we call it “Canadian pork loin” (lombinho canadense). So good.

Smoked pork shoulder, which our neighbors in Argentina and Uruguay call bondiola de cerdo (and we just call, well, smoked pork shoulder, paleta suína defumada) is increasingly common here too. Goes great on pizza, sandwiches or Eggs Benedict.

Shakshuka!

I used fire roasted diced tomatoes, diced up some hard chorizo and used a Mediterranean herb feta cheese.

Rob

Interesting, it looks like the kind of thing that is love it or hate it. not sure which camp I'm in. Looks pretty easy to make though, must add it to my list of things to try when I'm feeling adventurous, and lazy. :smile:

Shakshuka!

I used fire roasted diced tomatoes, diced up some hard chorizo and used a Mediterranean herb feta cheese.

Rob
How well does it work as leftovers?

How well does it work as leftovers?

Very good. The sauce can be prepared ahead of time and even frozen and then you heat up the sauce and finish with the eggs. If I make it with the eggs and there are leftovers, reheating will fully cook the yolks, I usually end up doing a few eggs to add to the leftovers.

Rob

We bought some chicken wings from Tesco, basically a whole tray of them. As they were not frozen, my wife cooked them all up in the evening, so now we have two plates piled high. They were really nice, but my wife told me I could only have 4 of them, so they'll take an age to eat. Maybe Roast Beef today, which we rarely have, but we might have chicken as well.

Cooked them on Saturday, I had 4, she had a few more but said they weren't that nice. I had 6 on Sunday. Went out to play RQ on Monday, came back from work on Tuesday and thought "I'll have some of those chicken wings, they were really nice", to find out that she had eaten the lot.

Cooked them on Saturday, I had 4, she had a few more but said they weren't that nice. I had 6 on Sunday. Went out to play RQ on Monday, came back from work on Tuesday and thought "I'll have some of those chicken wings, they were really nice", to find out that she had eaten the lot.
Clearly, they were so bad that she went out of her way to eat them so that you wouldn't have to suffer.

My wife is going to prepare enfrijoladas and carlota de limón for my birthday today!

The enfrijoladas.
IMG_20190812_182812.jpg

The carlota de limón.
IMG_20190812_193330.jpg

IMG_20190812_193509.jpg

*The tapete (rug) on the table is handwoven from Teotitlán del Valle, Oaxaca.

Last edited:
Made some rhubarb crumble using rhubarb donated by a friend and it turned out very nice, 5 little ramekins of delight, one down and 4 to go. No photos, I am afraid, as they were made for eating not displaying.
Minced beef and rice for tea tonight, nothing to do with me, though, as my wife isn't that keen on how I make it. baked potatoes and mushrooms for dinner today, very tasty it was indeed.

Back from a local microbrew festival, had a couple of fun brews from a friend's operation, including a Sahti which really blew my mind — very malt-forward and very light on the juniper.

Fixed myself a couple of salmon burgers on wheat rolls topped with guac, paired with some shells & white cheddar and some leftover veggies.

No one will ever mistake me for a master chef. Fortunately, my culinary needs are simple.

Wife just made cauliflower pizza, it's been our cheat treat as of late.

What do bananas and boiled eggs have to do with cheese?

It's a meme. Some person (Dana Perino?) posted a vile-looking concoction on Twitter with the caption "I made queso", with an even more impressively wrong recipe. This is part of the fallout.

It's a meme. Some person (Dana Perino?) posted a vile-looking concoction on Twitter with the caption "I made queso", with an even more impressively wrong recipe. This is part of the fallout.
I prefer Saint Louis-style hot dogs.
D2rK8SGWsAAVaLx.jpg

I'm kind of curious now how boiled eggs with banana will actually taste.

Jasmine brown rice going in the cooker, I’m going to make cilantro lime rice with it. Chicken simmering in broth with Mexican seasoning (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, etc). Black beans, shredded extra sharp cheddar, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, sour cream round out fixings for the rice bowls.

Rob

My baby bird was too young to try the spaghetti last time I fixed it for her mom. This time, she loved it.

I need to get a pic of the green chile stew I made to help with burning out the gift from the plague monkeys. Chicken stock, pork, extra-hot roasted green chile, diced potatoes, onion, ro-tel tomato with habanero, garlic, cumin, Mexican Oregano, a little sea salt and a stack of homemade flour tortillas.

Rob

I need to get a pic of the green chile stew I made to help with burning out the gift from the plague monkeys. Chicken stock, pork, extra-hot roasted green chile, diced potatoes, onion, ro-tel tomato with habanero, garlic, cumin, Mexican Oregano, a little sea salt and a stack of homemade flour tortillas.

Rob
Green Chile stew is magic for removing plague. Absolutely love it. I was in Denver a week and a half ago and got done at, of all places, a New Orleans style restaurant. It was exceptionally good and a balm for the soul.

Man when I move I want to move to a place with a better kitchen. We moved where we did because its a fairly large house for a reasonable price in a super safe area, which is great for the kids... but the kitchen is a small galley style kitchen for some reason. It sucks to cook in it, so I don't do anything beyond basic stuff very often :/. Just feel like I have to fight with my lack counter space to make much.

Spent a week with my sister in Berlin where I learned at her feet to tackle that ultimate show piece: Beef Wellington.

(photo won’t load, too big)

Fuck me, tenderloin is expensive in Germany. But very, very good. And then their ham is amazing, and oh so cheap... and the beer aisle, ah, the beer aisle... (not to mention their great access to wine and spirits...)

Didn’t have as much beer as I expected but had a very nice Hefeweizen brewed locally in Potsdam, and a delicious Altbier that went great with some roast chicken. And a visit to a local German restaurant got me digging into a nice plate of schweinbraten, to the tune of a glass of Köstritzer — just the right amount of malty sweetness and toasty bitterness.

Our jaunt in London in the previous week saw me on a Porter kick — tried three different brews in the style, but had to hand it to Fuller’s (all others were trying too hard to taste like carbonated iced coffee), which I tried at one of their pubs, with a nice shepherd’s pie to go with it — and visit The Whisky Exchange in Covent Garden where I picked up a bottle of Redbreast 12 (Irish whiskey other than Jameson is fiendishly hard to find in Brazil, not to mention expensive when found) and a store exclusive, plus a bunch of samples.

Also bought a bottle of Bunnahabhain Cruach Mhòna at the duty free. Great price and good reviews from my scotch-swilling buddies.

Didn’t eat anywhere fancy but had some great meals. So much for the bad reputation of British cuisine.

Now I’ve got to empty some bottles to make room for the new ones... (and work like a dog to pay my credit card because the exchange rate is terrible right now)

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back