The Food and Drink Thread

Kilted Rob

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I took some of Trader Joe’s Miso Ginger Broth, a hand full of stir fry veggies, and tossed in some pork dumplings for a very nice , simple soup.

Rob

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Reaction score
We just decided to make up a batch of Rendang on the spur of the moment. It's just simmering now; should be finished sometime around midnight. Watch this space.

soltakss

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Roasted a duck for when my wife got back, just plain duck, seasoned with salt/pepper, roasted with various potato-stuff. It went down very well, indeed.

E-Rocker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've been pretty good about doing more home cooking this year vs. last year.

Might try my hand at biscuits and gravy this weekend.

ETA: that's "biscuits" in the American sense. Per Wikipedia, "A biscuit in the United States and Canada, is a variety of small baked goods with a firm browned crust and a soft, crumbly interior. They are usually made with baking powder or baking soda as a chemical leavening agent rather than yeast."

Gravy on cookies would be pretty gross!

Last edited:

Jetstream

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've been pretty good about doing more home cooking this year vs. last year.

Might try my hand at biscuits and gravy this weekend.

ETA: that's "biscuits" in the American sense. Per Wikipedia, "A biscuit in the United States and Canada, is a variety of small baked goods with a firm browned crust and a soft, crumbly interior. They are usually made with baking powder or baking soda as a chemical leavening agent rather than yeast."

Gravy on cookies would be pretty gross!
One time I had to explain to a Welsh friend what a biscuit is to us. I said “a scone without all the sugar.”

Last edited:

CRKrueger

Legendary Member
Reaction score
After seeing this (there’s a whole series of Brian Cox pronouncing almost every Scotch there is)

I decided to try the Lagavulin 16. Jesus Wept. I’ve heard people say “smoky but with no peat bite” before, but now I know what that means. Think I’m going to start picking up a bottle per paycheck and starting working my way through the whisky world.

The Butcher

Power Armor Commando
Reaction score
After seeing this (there’s a whole series of Brian Cox pronouncing almost every Scotch there is)

I decided to try the Lagavulin 16. Jesus Wept. I’ve heard people say “smoky but with no peat bite” before, but now I know what that means. Think I’m going to start picking up a bottle per paycheck and starting working my way through the whisky world.
God damn, you started right at the top! Great choice.

Let me know if I can help you with recommendations. I’ve been at it for a couple of years and still feel like a beginner.

CRKrueger

Legendary Member
Reaction score
God damn, you started right at the top! Great choice.

Let me know if I can help you with recommendations. I’ve been at it for a couple of years and still feel like a beginner.
I know zero about Japanese whiskeys. You get much into those yet?

The Butcher

Power Armor Commando
Reaction score
I know zero about Japanese whiskeys. You get much into those yet?
Those are even trickier to get into here in Brazil, but I’ve had the Yamazaki Distiller’s Reserve and absolutely adored it. If I’d had it blind I’d swear it’s a Speyside, all honey and flowers.

The head honcho at our whisky club swears Yamazaki 18 is his “end of the world whisky” — but age-stated Yamazakis have stopped production as demand far outstripped production and they’ve run dry (or so we’re told).

I’ve never had the Hakushu (another distillery operated by Suntory) but it’s supposed to be a more exotic, herbal malt, with pine, spearmint, and smoke. I’m not sure I’ll like it as much as the Yamazaki but it’s on my wishlist for sure.

Nikka is another whisky giant with a huge portfolio. Their “Whisky From The Barrel” gets rave reviews (and is often rumored to be mostly imported scotch malt!) but I don’t know how their core range fares.

Last but not least, Hibiki Harmony is supposed to be a good introduction to Japanese whisky, but I have yet to try it.

Last edited:

CRKrueger

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Has Suntory decided to get rid of the Premium Whisky labels? Near everything is being discontinued.

The Butcher

Power Armor Commando
Reaction score
Has Suntory decided to get rid of the Premium Whisky labels? Near everything is being discontinued.
Their official stance is that increased demand has stripped their stocks and they need a few years to age what they have and/or step up production. This article has a pretty good run-down (and guide to their range).