The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
BTW, do any of you make "Asian" stir-fry at home?

If you have not, I must recommend it tremendously. The time spent chopping veggies can be daunting (I'm CHOPPING BROCCOLI!!), but its a great way to create a meal with lots (or all) veggies and little (or no) meat. I have always enjoyed shiitake mushrooms and Chinese eggplant, but only recently hunted down an Asian market to bring those home. In non-Asian markets, shiitakes have stupid prices, but the Asian market often sell them in bulk and the eggplant is surprisingly cheap. BTW, Chinese eggplant isn't the traditional aubergine used in Italian cuisine. It's long with dense meat instead of squat and watery. Goes tremendously well with ginger and garlic.
Stir frying's a fantastic technique, really easy. And I love noodles (This may be why I am fat).

If I'm cooking a meal for my partner, then I'll probably just get a packet of ready-prepared vegetables, because that works out cheaper for us (We don't eat together often enough that it would be worthwhile buying and preparing vegetables ourselves); brown the meat (Usually chicken), add vegetables, noodles, noodles, sauce, etc. Minimal prep time, easy to cook, tastes great.

If I'm cooking for myself, then I'll probably just chop up a pepper or two, because I am lazy and I really like peppers (When I was growing up, peppers were "exotic"). Add meat, noodles, sauce (Soy, with some sweet chilli or sriracha; but I also really like a spicy mustard and barbecue sauce mix, good for blowing out the sinuses and making sure nobody else steals my food).

There used to be a brilliant mongolian restaurant in Glasgow, and a slightly less-good one in Edinburgh, which I'd make sure my group always went to if we were in town. But they're both closed now.

Oh yeah. For a while there when I wasnt as financially well off, a wok, udon noodles, and Yashido sauce was my mainstay.

Foods - my tastes, I’ve decided, are pretty middle eastern, dried fruits and hummus and kabobs and the spices that go along with it. I could live on Persian food every meal and not get tired of it. I like a lot of other things - I order the special at most restsursnts and I love good buffets for variety- but Persian is the best. Second best is probably Moroccan, especially tagines.

Booze - rum is my poison, though I am not overly picky. I don’t like any beer, but I do like ciders. I like those pretty dry. Wines I will drink most of them, but I do prefer fruitier ones there. I have a special fondness for absinthe, as I love licorice.

For those of you who like rum, I highly recommend, of all things, Costco’s Kirkland brand spiced rum. It stands tall against rums more than twice it’s price. Great sipping rum, and a great price. It beats all of Captain Morgan’s, even the private stock, IMO. I’m also a big fan of mount gay rum.

Last edited:
No harshing on smelly, kale-eating vegans ...

I appreciate the sentiment, but for the record, I'm not smelly. :grin:

Did someone say booze? I'm all about Black Bush these days - it's Bush Mills' slightly fancier cousin. Love it pretty much straight - just a dash of water to bring out the flavor. Can't stand regular Bush Mills for some reason, though ...

I had a gin and tonic the other night while out with the pals singing Karaoke. I hadn't had one in maybe 20 years, only bought it because I wanted something with a straw (it was "Scary-oke," and I had make-up on ... ), but it was pretty good. The added bonus is that I can have one and then switch to club soda with a lime, and people think I'm still drinking booze and don't annoy me - I'm trying to be more moderate these days, especially when I'm out and about, rather than drinking from the comfort of my own home.

I'll also drink cheap light beer and not complain.

Oh yeah. For a while there when I wasnt as financially well off, a wok, udon noodles, and Yashido sauce was my mainstay.

That's how I started back in college.

Being in LA gives me easy access to Asian markets (we have a chain 99 Ranch Market) which helps tremendously - I love Chinese eggplant and king trumpet mushrooms and for reasons unknown, those awesome veggies haven't become mainstream in the US.

BTW, for anyone who hasn't had trumpet mushrooms, here's the info
http://www.thekitchn.com/ingredient-spotlight-king-trum-110829

So my gf buys some expensive candy bar, dark chocolate with sea salt and almond, decides she doesn't like it, so she hands me it and while I'm watching TV I eat 1/2 of it absentmindedly.

My mother baked me three entire pans of cheesecake last week. I feel like I've gained thirty pounds just by looking at it all.

I’ve put on 6kg since Baby Butcher was born, as I quit my one physical activity (hopefully temporarily) and failed to mount an effective downtime diet. Hopefully I can get my sorry ass back into a gym (or, ideally, the mats) not too long after the holidays.

It's like Traveller's "Aging Rolls" except I call them Sedentary Lifestyle rolls. Mats? Do you do Brazilian Jiu-jitsu?

More like “gaining rolls” amirite? :hehe:

I do. Martial arts are the only sort of physical exercise that I really look forward to, and BJJ has the right mix of isometrics (I’m glucose intolerant and need the muscle mass), fat burning (my diet is... not as good as I’d like it to be) and cerebrality (to keep the mind occupied, clear away a day’s worries and hopefully stave off depression and dementia).

But I’ve also done judo and Shorin-Ryu karate (and kobudo) in the past, and loved both. I’m also boxing- and Muay Thai-curious. Hell, I even took a couple of fencing classes.

Baby Butcher makes regularly attending a 7pm-9pm BJJ class a challenge. I’ll pump iron if I have to but I hate it.

So you're the grappling expert around here. I did my fair share of pumping iron, until I broke my back as a Firefighter, then my doctor told me it would make my condition worse. Now I ride a bicycle when the weather is nice. I miss hiking (hunting) in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, that was the best exercise ever.

Sorry to hear about your injury, hope it doesn't trouble you too much.

At blue belt, I'm hardly the expert, unless we have no one else doing BJJ or wrestling. Hiking is very much a California thing, isn't it? My sister is a nurse in the US, and she recently moved from Florida to California; she commented on how much healthier Cali folk tend to be on average, which she ascribed to a more outdoorsy lifestyle.

Submitted without comment:

DPoCFaOUMAAasjb.jpg

My Doctor said to not get the cage and work on my core strength instead, I'm glad I listened to her, because they recalled that cage a while back. Otherwise it comes and goes, some days are better than others.

You are probably the most knowledgeable here on BJJ and wrestling, I bet. How does your sister like Cali, are they treating her well? SF has a little Carnivale, probably nothing compared to Rio's, it's nice to see them make the effort. California is outdoorsy because it has nice weather and a stellar outdoors to enjoy. To bring this back around to food, for 20 years of hunting in the mountains, the only thing I ever shot was a wild pig: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Wild-Pig That was during horse camping with my wife pit BBQ'ing it with a bunch of other people. By myself, the rifle was merely to ward off people/mountain lions/bears, but mostly people, while wandering through the wilderness. I would go mostly to get away from the city and people; that wild pig though, it was tasty.

Sis digs Cali, it’s apparently one of the best states for nurses to work in. And the lifestyle can’t hurt either. She does miss Cuban food ;) but other than that she’s loving it.

I never did hunt — big city born and raised — but when I was in Uruguay a few years back (yes, I had coffee with Pundit) I was handed a brochure for a country resort that offered wild pig hunting as an activity.

I was very much intrigued, particularly considering the Uruguayan penchant for grilling just about anything over charcoals and washing it down with a big bold red or an ice-cold beer :kiss:

Just a note, HIking and outdoorsy stuff is not just a Cali thing. Pretty of it around here. The wife and I were not able to get ou much this summer. As she broke her foot, while we were berry picking on state land.

Two things that are irrefutably true:

Christmas season will soon be upon us, here in the States.

I love fruitcake.

That is all; carry on.

Two things that are irrefutably true:

Christmas season will soon be upon us, here in the States.

I love fruitcake.

That is all; carry on.
So you're the other guy who loves fruitcake! Dad will be so happy I found the other one.
Rumor has it there is only one fruitcake made a hundred years ago and it just moves from household to household.

So you're the other guy who loves fruitcake! Dad will be so happy I found the other one.
Rumor has it there is only one fruitcake made a hundred years ago and it just moves from household to household.

Christmas time is the best time, becuase everybody gives me their fruitcakes. I go into New Years as a fruit cake eating bitch.

I will see your fruit cake and raise you rum cake:grin:

Planning a dinner party later this week. I have high hopes:

64JSWKG.png
OBWSucx.png

This is in response to my "banana burrito": slow-cooked pulled pork, yam/banana mash, cheese blend and cotija, and pepper-candied raisins on flour tortillas, smothered with lightly sweetened mole.

As far as booze goes, I am mostly a cider and mead drinker. Though I've been mixing gin and lime juice with ginger ale to positive results.
Try cold green tea and gin mixed. Sounds off, but oh so delicious and refreshing. Especially on a hot day.

I had a friend at work said he drank some on these last night and it was really good. He kind of had me right till the maple part:errr:
SSCN4775.JPG

Try cold green tea and gin mixed. Sounds off, but oh so delicious and refreshing. Especially on a hot day.

All right, let's talk gin.

I can appreciate the kick of a classic juniper-forward London Dry like Tanqueray or Beefeater, but I'm a sucker for the smooth, lively new school stuff like Bombay Sapphire or Hendrick's. The Botanist and Monkey 47 so far have eluded me (on account of being hard to find and ridiculously expensive here).

I only ever drink it as a mixer; I love the stuff but to me the high proof and strong scent just beg for the dilution of a G&T, a French 75 or a Tom Collins. Green tea is something I'm not used to, but lemongrass or peach iced tea with Bombay Sapphire sounds like a winning to me.

Oh, and regarding G&T — it's 1 part gin to 3 or 4 parts tonic, poured over ice in a highball glass (OK, I'll take it in a wine glass or brandy snifter if I have to), garnished with a slice of citrus and maybe a slice of cucumber if you're feeling frisky. No aromatic herbs — this one upscale place I went to put juniper in it. Ummm, what? Fucking gin not juniper-y enough for you, Mr. Mixologist? Now I can't pick up anything of the gin's bouquet. FML.

All right, let's talk gin.

I can appreciate the kick of a classic juniper-forward London Dry like Tanqueray or Beefeater, but I'm a sucker for the smooth, lively new school stuff like Bombay Sapphire or Hendrick's. The Botanist and Monkey 47 so far have eluded me (on account of being hard to find and ridiculously expensive here).

I only ever drink it as a mixer; I love the stuff but to me the high proof and strong scent just beg for the dilution of a G&T, a French 75 or a Tom Collins. Green tea is something I'm not used to, but lemongrass or peach iced tea with Bombay Sapphire sounds like a winning to me.

Oh, and regarding G&T — it's 1 part gin to 3 or 4 parts tonic, poured over ice in a highball glass (OK, I'll take it in a wine glass or brandy snifter if I have to), garnished with a slice of citrus and maybe a slice of cucumber if you're feeling frisky. No aromatic herbs — this one upscale place I went to put juniper in it. Ummm, what? Fucking gin not juniper-y enough for you, Mr. Mixologist? Now I can't pick up anything of the gin's bouquet. FML.
Yes but it hides that they're cutting the gin with cheap gin!

When it comes to booze, whiskey and vodka are my drinks of choice.

And when it comes to whiskey and vodka, Jameson and Belvedere are my brands of choice.

If you like Jameson you should try Bushmills, and Tulmore Dew. Both are excellent Irish whiskey. As far as Vodka, try Stolichnya. Excellent Vodka in my opinion.

Yes but it hides that they're cutting the gin with cheap gin!

You may be right. The bastards :angry:

When it comes to booze, whiskey and vodka are my drinks of choice.

And when it comes to whiskey and vodka, Jameson and Belvedere are my brands of choice.

When it comes to vodka, I default to Absolut or Stoli, but I only really drink it as a mixer.

Regarding whiskey, I'm working my way through a bottle of Monkey Shoulder — amazing scotch, great value, pretty much my favorite so far... though I still want to get a bottle of the first scotch I really enjoyed, the Balvenie Double Wood 12 years. And some day, try the smoky peaty stuff.

I have a bottle of Bulleitt open too. Didn't really grab me — too raw, too pungent, too in-your-face. I might use it as a mixer and I'll definitely use it to cook (I got this American BBQ spice rub that I combine with honey, bourbon and balsamic vinegar to spread on a rack of ribs before grilling, that's just amazing).

I got a sample of Woodford Reserve with my Bulleitt purchase and liked it so much better. Very similar flavor profile but much more subtle and elegant. Looking forward to try Maker's Mark (which retails for a ridiculous $100+ around here).

You may be right. The bastards :angry:

When it comes to vodka, I default to Absolut or Stoli, but I only really drink it as a mixer.

Regarding whiskey, I'm working my way through a bottle of Monkey Shoulder — amazing scotch, great value, pretty much my favorite so far... though I still want to get a bottle of the first scotch I really enjoyed, the Balvenie Double Wood 12 years. And some day, try the smoky peaty stuff.

I have a bottle of Bulleitt open too. Didn't really grab me — too raw, too pungent, too in-your-face. I might use it as a mixer and I'll definitely use it to cook (I got this American BBQ spice rub that I combine with honey, bourbon and balsamic vinegar to spread on a rack of ribs before grilling, that's just amazing).

I got a sample of Woodford Reserve with my Bulleitt purchase and liked it so much better. Very similar flavor profile but much more subtle and elegant. Looking forward to try Maker's Mark (which retails for a ridiculous $100+ around here).
Maker's is my daily bourbon. Costco sells the 1.5 litre jugs at a reasonable price. Now if only I hadn't been foolish and got my wife to appreciate whiskey and bourbons too. I'd last so much longer.

Two questions eat away at my soul this evening.

Who the fuck puts raisins in mango chutney?

And how did I go all these years without putting mango chutney on my cheeseburgers? Fuck ketchup, this is the real deal.

I seek solace at the bottom of a scotch glass, but I’ve gone too long without drinking whisky and become unused to the high proof once more. Ffffuuuuu—

Two questions eat away at my soul this evening.

Who the fuck puts raisins in mango chutney?

no idea. sounds weird.
And how did I go all these years without putting mango chutney on my cheeseburgers? Fuck ketchup, this is the real deal.

you wouldn't be the only one. where can i get some?
I seek solace at the bottom of a scotch glass, but I’ve gone too long without drinking whisky and become unused to the high proof once more. Ffffuuuuu—

I support this. You can tell from your other...um... more illuminating posts ;) I've had more than a few of those nights.

And how did I go all these years without putting mango chutney on my cheeseburgers?

That sounds great!

I love fruitcake. The problem is most store versions are crapass chemical blocks.

A homemade fruitcake is a joy.

you wouldn't be the only one. where can i get some?

There are quite a few commercially available preparations, both industrial and craft — I’m using a jar of craft mango chutney my father-in-law gave us, which is fantastic, except for inexplicably having raisins — but making your own is a breeze.

A “chutney” is essentially a fruit or vegetable preserve with vinegar and sugar. I have a pretty good pineapple chutney I do when I’m serving pork, and I even whipped up a tomato and red onion chutney once that was amazing, if I may say so myself.

There are quite a few recipes out there but they all boil down (heh) to the same principle — simmering fruit in the a solution of water and vinegar of your choice (for mangos and pineapples I favor rice or white wine vinegar; many recipes call for cider vinegar, which I don’t like) with just enough sugar to counteract the vinegar’s acidity (never let it outshine the fruit’s natural flavor!) and whatever seasonings you deem appropriate — for mangos and pineapples I favor the traditional cumin, coriander, turmeric and chilies. Or just a few spoons of your favorite curry mix when you’re in a hurry.

Regarding mangoes, some recipes will recommend that you use unripe mangoes — don’t do it. They should be ripe enough to be sweet but not so ripe that they’ll be mushy.

I support this. You can tell from your other...um... more illuminating posts ;) I've had more than a few of those nights.

No, that’s just me. :hehe: I hardly ever drink more than my one-ounce nightcap, every other day. I am very self-conscious about my alcohol intake.

Constantly.

Noman's standard, too-tired to really cook, 'authentic' stir-fry

Ingredients:
  • A bunch of rice. I like brown rice, but I'm forced to use white.
  • A bunch of baby bok choi, chopped.
  • A bunch of spinach, stems removed.
  • A bunch of green cabbage, chopped.
  • An onion, chopped.
  • Garlic, fresh and minced.
  • Ginger, sliced.
  • Any cooking oil you prefer. I use canola oil.
  • Sesame oil.
  • Soy sauce, any.
  • Any store-bought stir-fry sauce you prefer. I like savory rather than sweet with this dish, so I usually use some kind of garlic bean sauce or dark soy sauce.
  • Tofu, extra firm and diced into cubes. Substitute with any meat you prefer. Pork would do well with the greens.
  • A middle-aged or elderly Chinese Matron, preferably related by marriage (this is what makes this recipe authentic).

1. Get a wok. If you don't have one, buy one. Have a holy man bless it. Put it on the stove and light to max heat.

2. Drizzle with oil, throw in the tofu. Add a little soy sauce. Stir-fry until slightly brown.

3. Add the garlic, ginger, onion, and cabbage. Stir-fry that shit. Gently. Mutter sweet nothings to it in Cantonese. Continue until onion and cabbage are just beginning to get soft. Maybe a minute or so.

4. Enjoy the sweet, dulcet sounds of the Chinese Matron telling you, in no uncertain terms, how you're not good enough for her daughter because you're not a doctor, a lawyer, or a doctor who moonlights as a lawyer, while simultaneously watching her grudgingly acknowledge that your wok technique is quite good for a white dude and the tofu, is in fact, perfect.

5. Add the greens and one or two drops of the sesame oil. Stir-fry for less than a minute, adding a moderate amount of your sauce of choice. You want the spinach to just begin to wilt before you cut the heat.

7. Ask the Chinese Matron who she is and how she got into your home, then invite her to stay for lunch.

6. Plate the stir-fry over the rice, serve with tea or spirit of choice, and enjoy with the Chinese Matron.

While I'm delighted to see the uptick in activity :grin:, I'm equally disappointed in the lack of food & drink discussion and threadjacking. :sad:

So here's an article about Malt Liquor. Because all spirits are equal in the eyes of the gods. :drink:

Enjoy!

It's almost like people here have turned all courteous and civilized all the sudden. Place is going to hell.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back