The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I've been on a smoked salmon kick lately. I tried smoked salmon & scrambled eggs for the first time this morning and it was amazing. If anyone has simple dishes with smoked salmon to share lay them on me.

Smoked salmon with scrambled eggs is amazing!

See if you can whip up Eggs Royale — exactly like Eggs Benedict but with smoked salmon instead of ham. So good.

Smoked salmon and cream cheese is a classic, but if you’re feeling frisky, see if you can substitute it for creamy goat cheese (Boursin de Chèvre). Maybe a little dill and pickles. All in a nice pumpernickel or rye bread.

Last edited:
I have three teenage sons. I'm making nachos for dinner. Sometimes it doesn't actually feel like I left the restaurant industry at all. :grin:

I finally found a restuarant in town that had chickenfried steak breakfasts on the menu, so, excited, I waited all day until the next mornig to put in an order once they opened on DoorDash, at 11 am, for chickenfried steak, biscuit, and sausage gravy (no grits unfortunately)

...and it was the most disgusting thing ever. The "steak" was the consistency of wet rubber, the gravy was congealed and jello-like, and the buscuit was cardboard. It was barely food. (sigh) So still haven't gotten to re-experience that Texas breakfast. That was 30 bucks into the recycling bin.

There are some diners in the surrounding area, going to look into some of them and see if I have better luck.

There's a big issue in the city with restuarants being bought up by foreign owners, who then cut corners on ingrediants, hire people who cant cook western food, and sorta coast on the places' former reputations until they inevitably close down and get turned into sushi or bubble tea joints.

I dont know if thats what happened here, but it did seem like the food was made by someone who had no idea what it was supposed to be

I tend to order things at restaurants that I can't make at home. So salad is out unless it looks superb, same with pasta dishes. I don't deep fry at home (because fat enough thanks), but I'll usually go fries when I'm out, even at swankier places where they might be pretentious enough to call them frites.

Fortunately I'm only allergic to band aids, conditioner and narcissistic bullying, pranking and taunting.

I didn't develop the allergy as an adult... but I didn't figure out until I was almost fucking forty that the reason weed was such a bad time for me as a kid-- and me smoking weed was such a bad time for everyone else-- was that I have a mild allergic reaction to it. As a kid, I just figured... some drugs aren't for some people, and I just didn't think about it again until my daughter's big sister gave me a bottle of CBD for my... everything.

Worst part? I could tell it was really effective because my baseline anxiety improved while I couldn't breathe.

Also a pretty good indicator of how bad my normal anxiety level is.

I tend to order things at restaurants that I can't make at home.
We follow this rule as well but also include dishes that are labor intensive or just a pain in the ass to cook. For example, I'm sure I could cook pho if I put my mind to it but to do it really isn't worth the time and effort for just the Mrs and I. It's kinda like changing my oil; I know how to do it but paying a professional is more economical.

And then sometimes we're in a position where we have to visit a restaurant out of necessity and I'm just looking for something, anything that is the slightest bit healthy. That's where I end up ordering salads from rando greasy spoon diners and the inevitable disappointment.

I cooked with a kitchen full of Filipino guys for a while. Great cooks, and I learned to make some great Filipino food. I make Sinangag and Sisig all the time, and Abobo, Kare-kare, and Menudo on a pretty regular basis (my tag spelling there could be bad, my apologies).

I also mostly try to eat things I can't make, or at least can't easily make, at home when I go to a restaurant. I'll make the occasional exception, but if you ever catch me paying restaurant prices for a grilled sandwich, please slap some sense into me.

I briefly rented a room from a Fillipino family, and they introduced me to the lifelong love that is longanisa

One of my BFFs (and former D&D 3e DM) is Filipino and an excellent cook. Sadly, I haven't been able to hang out with him at all during this whole virus thing. Man, I miss that food! Oh, and my friend, too!

longanisa
longaniza? the looong chorizo? I know Mexican longaniza.

chorizo.jpg

longaniza and four types of chorizo, Mexican style

longaniza? the looong chorizo? I know Mexican longaniza.

chorizo.jpg

longaniza and four types of chorizo, Mexican style

these ones...

these ones...

Looks great! It appears more like a chorizo than the longaniza I am familiar with, but there's lots of these types of sausage all over the Spanish-influenced world, and they're all slightly different. While it's certainly not bad, chorizo from Spain is not particularly noteworthy to me, but Mexican chorizos are a godsend.

Looks great! It appears more like a chorizo than the longaniza I am familiar with, but there's lots of these types of sausage all over the Spanish-influenced world, and they're all slightly different. While it's certainly not bad, chorizo from Spain is not particularly noteworthy to me, but Mexican chorizos are a godsend.

The Fillipino ones are very sweet and spicy

My wife is going to make enfrijoladas tomorrow! It was my birthday last wednesday but we were having a heat wave so I didn't want her to have to do any cooking. She was planning to prepare enfrijoladas for me so now that the heat wave is over...

I made some spectacular corn flake crispy squares last night. Late last night. Drunk off my ass. Hot sugar and drunk fellas dont often mix, but it went well.
I once got drunk off my ass and reinstalled my PC's OS. Spectacularly bad decision, but it worked out okay.

I have a drinking game for when my wife and I handle the spring cleaning. Every time she says "just one more job to do" I take a shot, and then I try to fight a mop, and then I pass out.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back