The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Pico de gallo. A chunky salsa made of roma tomatoes, onions, lime juice, cilantro, maybe a few other things like jalapenos.
D'oh... of course. I know what pico de gallo is.

Ok, bear with me here. I might be a little drunk (woot) but the disgusting sounding thing I just did is actually really tasty, I had a quarter bag of leftover Spicy Doritos, so I dropped those into a bowl. Then I grated some cheese and put a tablespoon of salsa over them and threw a lot of hot sauce-type shit at the bowl (YMMV). Then I fried two over easy eggs and dropped them on top. A half minute of bashing and mixing later I sat down to eat and post. It sounds like an abomination, but it actually tastes like heaven.

Simple breakfasts are nice too, like griddled bread cheese with some toast and jelly. I've joined the ranks of quarantine bakers, and I can say with confidence I make a serviceable sandwich loaf. The cheese is slightly salty and has a neat combo of crusty and squeaky. French press coffee in a branded mug from a favorite vacation spot is required.
TnCH.jpg
*Re-lurking sounds*

Man I don't want to criticize but I was thinking how could a person NOT know what Pico is!
I had never seen it abbreviated, so I thought you were talking about something else. :hehe: Also, plenty of people here in the Netherlands are completely unaware of the existence of pico de gallo. It's just not a thing here.

That's because the Netherlands is a hopelessly backward place full of food philistines. :shade:

That's because the Netherlands is a hopelessly backward place full of food philistines. :shade:
This is actually true. Food-wise, lots of people here are very stuck in their boring ways. BUT you can also get excellent Indonesian and Surinam food here, among other, less common, "exotic" cuisines.

This is actually true. Food-wise, lots of people here are very stuck in their boring ways. BUT you can also get excellent Indonesian and Surinam food here, among other, less common, "exotic" cuisines.
I was mostly joking, but i did find Norway to be similar when I lived there. You can get good food, but it's not ingrained in the way people cook.

I was mostly joking, but i did find Norway to be similar when I lived there. You can get good food, but it's not ingrained in the way people cook.
What I've tried of Norse food was pretty good, but not "exotic". There's good, non-"exotic", traditional Dutch dishes, but the way "ordinary" people prepare their own food is rather boring. Of course, it varies with age group, income level, educational level, ethnicity, etc.

Man I don't want to criticize but I was thinking how could a person NOT know what Pico is!
I had never seen it abbreviated, so I thought you were talking about something else. :hehe:
Fun fact: pico de gallo means "rooster's beak." It's also not just one thing except maybe outside Mexico. (What it is in Mexico depends on where you are.) But next time you're out my way you should visit Casa de Pico--apply your sunscreen so you can dine on the patio!
2015-04-08_13.19.49_t670_t800.jpg
Casa-de-Pico-exterior.jpg
498d6e0f-5de1-41a1-9468-ddf6b74b59fb.jpg
tequila-bar.jpg
9a11e026-36ae-4bac-8f04-8ff342b3fc2f.jpg

Last edited:
I have plenty of pico de gallo whenever we're in Mexico, but that place does look nice.

Another fun fact: the main ingredients of pico de gallo represent the colors of the Mexican flag (red tomatoes, white onion and green chilli and cilantro)

It's back to meal prepping. Hash brown breakfast cups. Seasoned hash browns, bacon, sausage, pico, extra sharp cheddar cheese, and an egg on top.

Oh man those look good. Replace the pico with a good hot sauce and I’m there. I love pico, but have a weird thing about tomatoes with eggs.

Another fun fact: the main ingredients of pico de gallo represent the colors of the Mexican flag (red tomatoes, white onion and green chilli and cilantro)
That's why another name for it is salsa bandera.

I have plenty of pico de gallo whenever we're in Mexico, but that place does look nice.

It’s hilarious, then, how many people make it with red onions.

It’s hilarious, then, how many people make it with red onions.

I use whatever onion I have on hand, white, red, yellow. Each has their virtues as far as flavor goes. I used a red onion this last time because I had one I needed to use up.

Scratch buttermilk biscuits with whipped honey butter and cinnamon.

Oh man those look good. Replace the pico with a good hot sauce and I’m there. I love pico, but have a weird thing about tomatoes with eggs.

I used pico because I had a little leftover to use up. You can easily add hot sauce or any sautéed veggies you want. I went with a oversized muffin tin that held six instead of a smaller one. One of these with some fruit makes a nice simple breakfast.

I did Eggs Royale for breakfast yesterday (basicelly Eggs Benedict with salmon instead of ham). Even with packet Hollandaise it came out alright. No photos, unfortunately.

Sadly, I'm already taken.
I should actually get around to looking up how to make Hollandaise on the interwebs. Actually finding it in the supermarkets is quite hit-and-miss.

For anyone who hasn't tried it, you can make a lovely Bahn Mi with smoked salmon cream cheese instead of liver pate. Just mess about woth the flavor prifiles a little and it's outstanding.

On a lark I called 4 or 5 pizza places to find one nearby that has anchovies. We just had an everything pizza loaded with veggies and meat; the anchovies added a nice bit of salty umami to the mix. (I don't think they would work with only one or two toppings)

Last edited:
Anchovies suck. However, when you blitz them into the base sauce they're fucking magic. At no point do they need to be put in any dish whole. The value of the small fish is indeed the umami, not their presence as a whole item.

Ants are crunchier and have a more acrid flavor.

Actually, ants taste of lemongrass.

At least the black leafcutter ants used by Amazon natives as spice do.

They taste good on pineapple but the pieces of mangled ant that cling between your teeth are a major turn-off on a romantic wedding anniversary dinner.

giphy.gif

This is what we've been making in class this week:
View attachment 23022
Pesto Chicken Sandwiches

View attachment 23023
Smoked Brisket Sandwich

View attachment 23024
Cubano Sandwich

View attachment 23025
Shrimp Po-Boy Sandwich

I really wish we could find a bit more variety in sandwiches here in Brazil. Of the above, you might find the first at an upscale-ish place (not so upscale that they don’t have sandwiches but not your average greasy spoon either). We don’t do smoked brisket and have nothing like the cubano or the po’ boy locally.

We do have one cool old school sort of place with some amazing sandwiches (that are not burgers — we have hundreds of hipster-run burger-and-craft-beer places nowadays — nor lowbrow bodega fare like grilled cheese with ham or a thin sirloin steak inside a bread roll), but it’s on a crap part of town and delivery just doesn’t do it justice.

Giganotosaurus Giganotosaurus Cubano is like my favorite sandwich. It's so good.
It was the best sandwich we made, but for some reason it was the least popular sadly. Since it's a learning restaurant everything is cheaper than you would normally find. You'd think that since shrimp is expensive peopl would want to get the Po'Boy but that was the second least popular. The Pesto chicken and an un-pictured Sabich were the most popular.

I really wish we could find a bit more variety in sandwiches here in Brazil. Of the above, you might find the first at an upscale-ish place (not so upscale that they don’t have sandwiches but not your average greasy spoon either). We don’t do smoked brisket and have nothing like the cubano or the po’ boy locally.

We do have one cool old school sort of place with some amazing sandwiches (that are not burgers — we have hundreds of hipster-run burger-and-craft-beer places nowadays — nor lowbrow bodega fare like grilled cheese with ham or a thin sirloin steak inside a bread roll), but it’s on a crap part of town and delivery just doesn’t do it justice.
Interesting, there isn't any kind of "Brazil only" sandwiches?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back