The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Joined my mom for Christmas and she was in charge of the cooking, but New Year’s we were on our own.

Wife cooked lentils. I roasted a boneless ham with a molasses glaze which turned out okay (she liked it, I didn’t) and bacalhau à Brás (a Portuguese dish consisting of shredded salted cod, onions, eggs, ham and shoestring fries) which turned out awesome. Chocolate mousse for dessert and proper Champagne to drink.

There are some Vietnamese-Cajun places around here that sparked our interest so I am going to try to make gumbo tonight using smoked turkey kielbasa. Maybe one of you could share your simple home recipe?

@ Giganotosaurus Giganotosaurus Just looking at your beautiful garnishes are gonna give me the diabeetus.

I try to keep it under a drink a day (ideally, a drink every other day) but right now I’m having a glass of sherry, even though I’ve had a beer for lunch, because seriously, fuck today.

Standing in my shower late
The day near end and there I wait
I think a thought so nice and strange
To wind all that stress away
A sauce much better than the rest
To paint the fries all french
But what, but what? I dare say
Could improve it on this very day?

Late at night I lie asleep
Dream a most fitful dream
The Sauce! The Sauce! I wake a say
I now have something for the day!
Peppers hot and sugar sweet
In a cauldron to simmer and weep
Then garlic too with dill and yolk
Mixed so slow lest it choke

And now it sits their on its throne
a pale yellow in its tone
The Sauce! The Sauce!
In all its weight
Ready for those fries to paint

BEHOLD!!!
IMG_20210109_171055195.jpg
Yellow Bell Pepper Ketchup and Garlic/Dill Aioli comibined to make a Sweet and Spicy Fry Sauce.

In my younger days, all I will say is...I passed a field sobriety test...

There are some Vietnamese-Cajun places around here that sparked our interest so I am going to try to make gumbo tonight using smoked turkey kielbasa. Maybe one of you could share your simple home recipe?

@ Giganotosaurus Giganotosaurus Just looking at your beautiful garnishes are gonna give me the diabeetus.

That is quite a combo, although it makes sense. Thankfully my parents (mostly my mom) encouraged me to try foods before declaring I didn't like something. I really like Thai and Vietnamese food, and recently discovered Peruvian food which was different and quite tasty, but sadly the only place I know of is about 3-1/2 hours away.

Looks like you are having fun with the desserts, and they look great.

Calzone stuffed with chopped meatballs, pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, onions, cheese, and sauce.

I love calzones, there was a time most pizza places had them, but they are getting hard to find in recent years. I may have to resort to making my own next time I get the urge. When I was in Denmark there were some places that had Pizza sandwiches that were Calzone like. Very good, but Danish pizza is totally different from American pizza.

Puff Pastries.jpg
From Top right counterclockwise: Pinwheel, Turnover, Strudel, and I don't remember the specific name but it has something to do with a tie. Bluberry and apple fillings!

So, lunch today is goat heart and tripe soup, which sounds like something straight out of a school dinner from the mid 20th century. It's not bad, but looks gross.

Orange County is on shut down due to pandemic 9no dining anywhere) so the Mrs and I went to Whole Foods for a nice romantic dinner of fresh oysters and champagne plus some wildcard salmon in case we get the munchies later.

Edit: I haven't done the food delivery thing. Going out to a grocery store together is like one of the very few things we can do together outside on lock down (we are looking for nice places to take walks at night)

Last edited:
Now we're on a fresh oyster kick. Anyone got some cool recipes or tricks? Raw or cooked is fine. Right now all we're doing is eating fresh oysters over crushed ice with a couple lemon wedges squeezed over them but I have seen some impressive things in restaurants.

Now we're on a fresh oyster kick. Anyone got some cool recipes or tricks? Raw or cooked is fine. Right now all we're doing is eating fresh oysters over crushed ice with a couple lemon wedges squeezed over them but I have seen some impressive things in restaurants.

Try a Hangtown Fry.
Hangtown Fry

The only oysters I have had that I actually liked were grilled over charcoal. That was probably 30 years ago so don't recall much beyond that. I like a lot of shellfish, but not a fan of oysters in general.

Brock Savage Brock Savage, So far I have been blessed with good cholesterol levels, at least according to my physicals. Red wine helps :hehe: My grandfather ate bacon and fried eggs for breakfast everyday and his cholesterol was near perfect. I am enjoying them while I can, I know at some point I will have to make adjustments. A lot of what I regularly cook I don't bother to post.

This year has been tough because what I usually do is take most of my leftovers and feed my students with them. Many of them rarely get anything resembling truly homemade.

For the pork roast, sea salt, pepper, smoked paprika and garlic powder, in the slow cooker with a bit of apple cider vinegar and a wee bit of liquid smoke. Hawaiian teriyaki sauce one cup soy sauce, one cup sugar, ginger, garlic, and scallions heated until the sugar is dissolved. I added the teriyaki sauce after shredding the roast.

The pineapple slices I tossed into some rum and let soak for a while, sprinkled a little cayenne on them and grilled them in my air fryer.

Guy from work learned to cook from his mom, serious Old School Russian, he’d always bring in a tray for holidays and pot lucks. Oh sweet lord.
Sweet being the operative word. I got some in duty free at Dubai (the airport there is essentially a duty-free shop with terminals) on the way through to Indonesia once, and it was next to impossible to keep ants off it until I took to keeping it in the fridge.

Bunny stopped by a Korean corn dog chain near us "Myungrang Hot Dog" and brought one home for me. I haven't had a corn dog in years and almost never eat fried food, it was good! After the first bite I was thinking that I need to bring my friends immediately after the pandemic clears.

I could eat Baklava until I develop diabetes.
I am not much for sweets but make an exception for good hand made baklava. I had a combination of Greek and Mexican influences in my childhood, Christmas meant not only home made tamales but baklava.

Thanks to an episode of Tasting History I had a thirst for G &T so bought a big bottle of Bombay Sapphire. I have been nomming on pickles as a nice zero calorie treat for mindless munching (I work from home, lots of opportunity for that!) and stumbled on this brand called Boobies that is amazing. Can anyone recommend any pickle brands? Hell I would even consider pickling myself if someone could sell me on it.

Hell I would even consider pickling myself if someone could sell me on it.
Quick pickling is pretty easy, all you need is Vinegar, Veggies and Jars. You can add either store bought pickling spice combinations or look up a combinations online.
What you do is simmer the vinegar for around 10 minutes, then stick it in a jar with the veggies and spices, and refrigerate it fro a couple of days.
Mind you this isn't like the long term preservative pickling, so they will go bad eventually.
My personal favorite is sweet pickled red onions.

Thanks to an episode of Tasting History I had a thirst for G &T so bought a big bottle of Bombay Sapphire. I have been nomming on pickles as a nice zero calorie treat for mindless munching (I work from home, lots of opportunity for that!) and stumbled on this brand called Boobies that is amazing. Can anyone recommend any pickle brands? Hell I would even consider pickling myself if someone could sell me on it.
Bubbies are really good. Nathan’s (of hot dog fame) makes pickles too. You’ll find them where the chilled pickles are, like Bubbies. Sonoma Brinery is good too.

Bubbies are really good. Nathan’s (of hot dog fame) makes pickles too. You’ll find them where the chilled pickles are, like Bubbies. Sonoma Brinery is good too.
Thanks for the hookup. I don't recall seeing Nathan's or Sonoma Brinery at any of the places I shop but I'll order the damn things online if I have to.

Quick pickling is pretty easy, all you need is Vinegar, Veggies and Jars. You can add either store bought pickling spice combinations or look up a combinations online.
What you do is simmer the vinegar for around 10 minutes, then stick it in a jar with the veggies and spices, and refrigerate it fro a couple of days.
Mind you this isn't like the long term preservative pickling, so they will go bad eventually.
My personal favorite is sweet pickled red onions.

My wife likes sliced and pickled cucumbers, but I think she just uses the vinegar cold. By pickled cucumbers I mean cucumbers soaked in vinegar for a couple of days so they still have that fresh cucumber crunch. I realize "pickles" are by default pickled cucumbers.

Lamb soup tonight! Chopped lamb with diced cabbage in water, maybe with a wholemeal oat-topped roll. Simple home-made food but really tasty. It gets even tastier over the next few days as well.

For dinner I made some lamb fillets marinated with lime juice, mint sauce and black pepper accompanied by couscous and salad. For the salad I made up a vinaigrette with mint sauce, honey, salt, pepper, cider vinegar and olive oil - I've still got a jar with enough for a few more meals.

I should have had the presence of mind to take a photo, but c'est la vie. Apart from a bit too much salt and water in the couscous (it came out a bit soggy and a little too salty) the whole thing worked pretty well.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back