The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
A little under the weather at the moment, so I just finished fixing up some chicken tortellini soup, with plenty of carrots and celery, along with some minced garlic and some crushed red pepper. That, along with the remaining half of a leftover wheat baguette and some heated apple cider, is my comfort food for the night.
I love chicken soup; I made up a big batch last week, which made dinner for a few days.

There has been a drastic drop off in food and drink postings.

roasted pork tenderloin with a reduced sauce from the drippings, roasted potato's, and zucchini fritters with sour cream and green onion.

crazy booger?

Yep, but not the intended meaning. General consensus is the two words were combined for their rhyming qualities as opposed to actual meaning. For Spanish speakers, it does generate a double take.

Yep, but not the intended meaning. General consensus is the two words were combined for their rhyming qualities as opposed to actual meaning. For Spanish speakers, it does generate a double take.
Strictly Spanish, it would be Moco Loco, but it still made me wonder.

spittingimage spittingimage CRKrueger CRKrueger I dunno, casu martzu sounds like something I would be willing to give a try, be it with some caution. All that evil-smelling stuff doesn't. I've seen people retch just from opening a can of surstromming... But maybe casu martzu smells just as evil?

spittingimage spittingimage CRKrueger CRKrueger I dunno, casu martzu sounds like something I would be willing to give a try, be it with some caution. All that evil-smelling stuff doesn't. I've seen people retch just from opening a can of surstromming... But maybe casu martzu smells just as evil?
Well, be sure to chew the maggots really well, because if they're still alive when they reach your stomach they can eat through your gut lining.

Is it just me or does it seem like most regional delicacies get their start when someone who was one meal away from starvation ate something they'd normally turn their nose up at?

You’re an evil man. Next go for Century Eggs, Balut, Surstromming, Lutefisk, and Hakarl.
Hakari I've heard of.

Apparently if you take some rotting Greenland shark and bury it for six months, it'll be edible when you dig it up. But only if you piss on it before burying.

I went to a teppanyaki-style steakhouse and tried a "bee's knees" on the rocks. Amazing how something so simple as gin, lemon, honey, and water can be so delicious. So now I am shopping around for the perfect container to store and serve honey syrup.

Well, be sure to chew the maggots really well, because if they're still alive when they reach your stomach they can eat through your gut lining.
Unlikely. Maggots don’t usually chew through healthy tissue. They usually ride on the coattails of some other necrotic process.

Hell, some people have advocated using lab-grown maggots for “biological debridement” of necrotic tissue.

I went to a teppanyaki-style steakhouse and tried a "bee's knees" on the rocks. Amazing how something so simple as gin, lemon, honey, and water can be so delicious. So now I am shopping around for the perfect container to store and serve honey syrup.

All my favorite cocktails are classic, simple ones. I’m a huge fan of sours of all kinds.

Generally speaking, if there’s more than three types of alcohol in there, it’s probably bullshit. You’re probably not tasting a lot of nuance in there.

They also have to come in decent proportions. (Bonus hot take: “dry Martinis” are a bullshit excuse to drink pure gin — or, God help you, vodka.)

Unlikely. Maggots don’t usually chew through healthy tissue. They usually ride on the coattails of some other necrotic process.

Hell, some people have advocated using lab-grown maggots for “biological debridement” of necrotic tissue.

All my favorite cocktails are classic, simple ones. I’m a huge fan of sours of all kinds.

Generally speaking, if there’s more than three types of alcohol in there, it’s probably bullshit. You’re probably not tasting a lot of nuance in there.

They also have to come in decent proportions. (Bonus hot take: “dry Martinis” are a bullshit excuse to drink pure gin — or, God help you, vodka.)
Depends on the species. The Green Bottle Fly larva are used for wound debridement, they only eat dead tissue. Some fly larva eat anything, live or dead. The pseudomyiasis of the cheese fly used in Casu Martzu I think is more of an intestinal thing than eating through the stomach.

People had probably been eating casu martzu for ages before it was banned. I can't imagine many got sick from it or it wouldn't have become a delicacy. Also, maggots are a source of protein.

People had probably been eating casu martzu for ages before it was banned. I can't imagine many got sick from it or it wouldn't have become a delicacy. Also, maggots are a source of protein.
What I want to know is, who’s the first bastard so cheap that they ate or served maggoty cheese without knowing it actually tasted good?

I can't tell if he's saying that ethnic food means turning the inedible edible by learning how to cook and season it, or that faddish diners will eat scraped-up goat shit if it becomes fashionable.

I guess it works either way.
I have been led to believe that many recipes originated from impoverished people making the best out of limited and/or poor quality ingredients. Coq a vin being a notable example.

Pork chops with a butter, garlic, apple cider vinegar, honey, and red chili flakes sauce with roasted potatoes and honey roasted corn.

This looks great! Can you share your recipe, please? I haven't cooked pork chops more than once or twice in my life.

In a skillet I heated some olive oil, seasoned the pork chops with salt and pepper. Seared them on both sides for about three minutes/side. Set the pork chops to the side add a tablespoon of butter to the skillet and 6-8 minced garlic cloves. Cook until aromatic then add roughly, 1/8 ish cup of apple cider vinegar, a large tablespoon of honey, and several shakes of red chili flakes. I also wanted a thinner sauce so added a couple of tablespoons of water. Stir until blended, reduce to desired consistency, place the chops back into the skillet, spoon sauce over and finish cooking. you can also slice the pork chops before added them back in to the skillet. Good as is or in a stir fry and on rice.

Cook time will vary depending on thickness and if you are using bone in chops.

In a skillet I heated some olive oil, seasoned the pork chops with salt and pepper. Seared them on both sides for about three minutes/side. Set the pork chops to the side add a tablespoon of butter to the skillet and 6-8 minced garlic cloves. Cook until aromatic then add roughly, 1/8 ish cup of apple cider vinegar, a large tablespoon of honey, and several shakes of red chili flakes. I also wanted a thinner sauce so added a couple of tablespoons of water. Stir until blended, reduce to desired consistency, place the chops back into the skillet, spoon sauce over and finish cooking. you can also slice the pork chops before added them back in to the skillet. Good as is or in a stir fry and on rice.

Cook time will vary depending on thickness and if you are using bone in chops.
That’s not breading, that’s the crisped spices and sauce? Oh man that looks good.

That’s not breading, that’s the crisped spices and sauce? Oh man that looks good.

No breading involved. What you are seeing is the minced garlic because I like lots of garlic. I made this again but added ginger and doubled the red chili flakes. Yummmmm!
You can also use less liquid and cook the sauce down more so you get caramelized crispiness. You just need to adjust your seer time so you don’t end up overcooking the chops.

To quote Conan: "Time enough for diets in the grave!"

Moderation is for monks!

I am asking the Pub's foodies for new ways to prepare boneless chicken breast. I am happy with the method I am using now but always looking for more because variety is my biggest kink. Key things I am looking for are ease of preparation and minimal additional calories.

I found a method that is tasty and easy to prepare. I dry breast with paper towel, pound flat, season with powdered garlic, salt, and pepper, then cook in a lightly oiled* pan on medium high for 5 min on a side. Fast, easy, tasty, and few calories.

*I use a dash of coconut oil spray because olive oil tends to lose its health benefits at higher temps

I am asking the Pub's foodies for new ways to prepare boneless chicken breast. I am happy with the method I am using now but always looking for more because variety is my biggest kink. Key things I am looking for are ease of preparation and minimal additional calories.

I found a method that is tasty and easy to prepare. I dry breast with paper towel, pound flat, season with powdered garlic, salt, and pepper, then cook in a lightly oiled* pan on medium high for 5 min on a side. Fast, easy, tasty, and few calories.

*I use a dash of coconut oil spray because olive oil tends to lose its health benefits at higher temps
Outside of smartass answers like “wrap in bacon dunk in queso lol” I can only volunteer ideas cof spicing and/or saucing.

Deglaze the pan with white wine and throw in a little mustard. This is the easy and lazy one.

Make a curry out of it.

Fillet it, fill with a compound butter, deep fry, bam, chicken Kiev.

Use a paring knife to cut a pocket from the long end. Fill the pocket with a wonderful mix of mushrooms, cheese, bacon, or whatever. Then cook the way you normally would.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back