The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The food I brought to work for lunch today had gone bad :sad:. After noticing the smell, against my better judgement, I took a bite, which I ended up immediately spitting out & throwing away the whole dish.

Fortunately, there are a number of quick-service restaurants near work. Got a meatball sub from Potbelly, which was fine, although nothing special.

One thing that is always interesting to me is how food can trigger so much nostalgia.

5am and I'm still up late working, so I grabbed a quick snack. I'd picked up some pimento cheese the other day on a whim. And having it on cheap ass white bread... it shouldn't be as good as it is.

Reminded me so much of being a kid and being from a not quiet poor but not quiet middle class family in the South.

One thing that is always interesting to me is how food can trigger so much nostalgia.
Food provokes a reaction in your body, those are often associated with specific times, places, people, whatever...:thumbsup:

5am and I'm still up late working, so I grabbed a quick snack. I'd picked up some pimento cheese the other day on a whim. And having it on cheap ass white bread... it shouldn't be as good as it is.

Reminded me so much of being a kid and being from a not quiet poor but not quiet middle class family in the South.
So, that's actually great. Enjoy the moment:shade:!

As we age, we remember the past more and more often, and it gets more and more important to us. And thus we get to know what being one of the Damned is like:devil:!

I haven’t had homemade pimento cheese in a decade. Think I’m going to look for some now.

This sounds like it could be really good and now I have to try it. The bread is simply a vehicle for delivering the cheese so I can see how plain cheap white bread is desirable here.

Dodgy here is indexing food poisoning.
Oh, OK, here it just means you're not sure whether the meat hasn't barked back when it was alive:devil:! (And as proven, that's not likely to kill you).

Kitchen Skills poll: how do you guys de-skin your garlic cloves. I am curious.

Some times, I microwave the whole bulb for 20-30 seconds. Then I slice off the root end and give a squeeze on a few cloves on the other end - they pop right out. The cloves get a bit softer and also release steam which pushes the skins away from the cloves. If you use a garlic press, this also makes the cloves push through easier.

I do this only if I'm using a lot of garlic as releasing the water from microwaving makes it go bad much faster and you have keep any unused cloves in the fridge.

Kitchen Skills poll: how do you guys de-skin your garlic cloves. I am curious.
We have this neat little rubber hose about 2 inches wide and about 5 inches long. We stuff perhaps 4 or 5 cloves into the tube and then roll the tube across the counter forcefully and wala! It removes the skin for us.

We have this neat little rubber hose about 2 inches wide and about 5 inches long. We stuff perhaps 4 or 5 cloves into the tube and then roll the tube across the counter forcefully and wala! It removes the skin for us.
Fancy! In a pinch you can roll cloves in your palms to do the same thing.

Is a garlic press a valid way to do it? It will also leave your garlic clove erm... pressed.

Is a garlic press a valid way to do it? It will also leave your garlic clove erm... pressed.
This is cooking, not sandbox play. There's no right and wrong, only what works.

The downside, if you want to call it that, is that crushing the clove produces intense flavor. Fine for most stuff, but a little strong for adding uncooked to dips like hummus and whatnot. IMO anyway.

Like a lot of cooking shows seem to do, once I have the clove separated, press on it with the flat of a knife. It both crushes the clove and loosens-separates the skin.

star-wars-the-mandalorian.gif

This is cooking, not sandbox play. There's no right and wrong, only what works.

The downside, if you want to call it that, is that crushing the clove produces intense flavor. Fine for most stuff, but a little strong for adding uncooked to dips like hummus and whatnot. IMO anyway.
I crush the clove for almost everything. It does result in a more pungent taste, which means using less of it. For hummus in particular I blend the crush garlic with lemon juice before adding tahine paste and chickpeas; the lemon juice does mollify the garlic’s pungency a bit.

star-wars-the-mandalorian.gif

I crush the clove for almost everything. It does result in a more pungent taste, which means using less of it. For hummus in particular I blend the crush garlic with lemon juice before adding tahine paste and chickpeas; the lemon juice does mollify the garlic’s pungency a bit.
There's an interesting thought. Macerating onion in vinegar does moderate the harshness of the onion, perhaps a soak in lemon juice can do the same for garlic. I don't have any actual issue with using crushed garlic in things like Hummus I just find the balance can be hard to strike sometimes because the garlic can easily overpower the other ingredients when you're making small batches.

In cases where you might need the whole clove left over after skinning you can just grab the clove by the top and bottom and twist those in opposite directions (both ways). Just a quick snap either way and the skin mostly comes right off with no work.

This is only semi-cooking-related, but does anyone else think the little spikes on the Armourer's helmet look like pot stands? Like they're not there in a threatening way, they're just in case she needs to use her helmet as a crucible to melt something, or maybe cook some soup? But that would mean taking her helmet off, so it's probably not the way.

Incidentally, do Mandalorians of the Watch have the greasiest hair in the Star Wars universe?

The helmets have a built-in conditioner and de-greaser function, for those occasions when you need to tell someone you're looking your best, but not show them.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back