The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Fourth Course: Entree 1
Canlis Course 4.jpg
Sea Bream with leeks and geoduck served in a dashi. They brought the bowl with the sea bream, leeks and geoduck to the table and then poured the steaming dashi straight in.
This was my second favorite thing of the night, I kid you not I literally teared up when I ate the dashi, it was that good. I don't think I will ever have something as good as this again.

Fifth Course: Entree 2
Canlis Course 5.jpg
Pickled Mackeral with pea shoots.

Course 6: Pallet Cleanser
Canlis Course 6.jpg
Frozen Yogurt with sea salt. This one was ok, but nothing compared to the previous courses.

Course 7: Dessert
Canlis Course 7.jpg
Dark Chocolate Sorbet with Koji and spruce tips.

Last edited:
Had a useful reminder the other day: I was searching for a recipe for something or other, don't remember what. Searched high & low on the internet and none of the recipes I found were looking particularly good. Put my phone down in frustration, and there, staring at me from the kitchen counter, was my Betty Crocker Cookbook. Found a recipe in there that came out great.

Fourth Course: Entree 1
View attachment 59734
Sea Bream with leeks and geoduck served in a dashi. They brought the bowl with the sea bream, leeks and geoduck to the table and then poured the steaming dashi straight in.
This was my second favorite thing of the night, I kid you not I literally teared up when I ate the dashi, it was that good. I don't think I will ever have something as good as this again.

Fifth Course: Entree 2
View attachment 59735
Pickled Mackeral with pea shoots.

Course 6: Pallet Cleanser
View attachment 59736
Frozen Yogurt with sea salt. This one was ok, but nothing compared to the previous courses.

Course 7: Dessert
View attachment 59737
Dark Chocolate Sorbet with Koji and spruce tips.
You can pick your official Fancy Fuckin' Motherfucker card up from security on your way out.

You can pick your official Fancy Fuckin' Motherfucker card up from security on your way out.
So I wanted to bring an old culinary school friend with me to this dinner since eating alone sucks, but there were only reservations available for 1 or 3 people on the night I needed. Originally I wanted another culinary school buddy to be the 3rd person, but she vanished off the face of the earth. Then I tried to get my a family member, but they had work the next day. Fortunately my friend has a girl he's dating, so we're covered for the 3 person reservation.
The night of the dinner, I drive to the restaurant in the middle of rush hour traffic in Seattle. It literally took 20 minutes to get from one side of the road to the other. I pull into the restaurant, wearing my suit, tie, fancy pants and a baseball hat (for helping with the glare of the sun while I'm driving see) and find out that it's valet parking only. I tell the valet "hold on while I change my shoes", hand over my keys, almost forget to take off my hat and leave my car (which is a mess filled with discarded chip bags from the drive over to Seattle) to the tender hands of the valets.
I find my friends waiting in the bar and we get seated.
All 3 of us were out of place. My friend with his untucked shirt and tie, myself feeling out of place in a restaurant where jeans aren't allowed and my friends date who didn't know what to expect going into this and repeatedly said she felt out of place the whole evening.
Canlis is one of those restaurants where the richest bastards in Seattle eat.
Our waiter loved us, as we weren't those rich bastards (who often just eat at the restaurant because of the price tag) and instead were interested in the food. He was a cool dude who played D&D and MtG.
Our seating was awesome too, from our table you could see Gasworks park, Lake Union and, because it was a clear day, the Cascades.
My friend made a number of crude/flirtatious jokes to his date and his date replied ensue so I felt a bit like a third wheel.

Suffice to say, I didn't feel like a fancy motherfucker, but had a great time.

Completely unrealted but look at this weird cheeseburger from my science class:
View attachment 60685
Who the heck puts the patty ON TOP of the lettuce and other fixins'?!
Is there a science to burger construction? Can you give us a five-minute summary for the layman?

Serious question. Burgers fascinate, repulse and confuse me.

Is there a science to burger construction? Can you give us a five-minute summary for the layman?

Serious question. Burgers fascinate, repulse and confuse me.
The picture was for an example of Heterogeneous mixtures in terms of chemistry, I just thought it was weird that the patty was on top of the lettuce and other fixings as I've only seen patties on the bottom bun with everything else on top.
As for scientific burger construction, in my own humble opinion: layer everything evenly so you get a taste of everything in each bite.
Layering from Bottom to top:
Bun
Spread (Mayo or hummus or other bun sauces, make sure it's spread from edge to edge so that it covers the whole bun)
Patty
Cheese
(Repeat the last 2 for any Extra Patties)
Extra meats (Bacon, ham, eggs, etc.)
Extra Sauces (Ketchup, Mustard, Relish, Etc.)
Leafy greens (Lettuce, Kale, Etc.)
Tomatoes and onions (Also other large "sliced" veggies that are around the same size of the patty)
Other additions (Pickles, mushrooms, etc.)
Spread (again)
Bun
Of course what makes a good burger is subjective so don't listen to me.

Is there a science to burger construction?

Nascent. There are videos on YouTube in which people stack burgers in different orders and taste-test the results.

Also, I have read about some computer-industry billionaire (I forget which) doing or funding some gastronomic research & development that included investigating different ingredients, methods, and cooking of a hamburger patty.

Nascent. There are videos on YouTube in which people stack burgers in different orders and taste-test the results.

Also, I have read about some computer-industry billionaire (I forget which) doing or funding some gastronomic research & development that included investigating different ingredients, methods, and cooking of a hamburger patty.
I was totally gonna post MatPat’s burger stacking episode, too.

I love being on vacation and having time to cook. I made chicken shawarma with all the trimmings yesterday, and I just started a lamb Tagine for dinner, which will be served with roasted corn I think. Good times.

Northern Norway - Finnmark, about an hour south of Kirkenes. C'mon over for dinner.
I could go visit Pete and Hannu while up there. Not like their exactly close, but closer than anyone else!

I could go visit Pete and Hannu while up there. Not like their exactly close, but closer than anyone else!
When I've moved here full time we really should set something up. Lots of Pubbers in this general part of the world. I love Europe btw, everything is close compared to Canada.

Honey Cajun Cod and Dirty Rice for dinner, with a crunchy little cabbage salad on the side to keep the boss happy.

Teach me your ways, oh wise one.
Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip
  • 4 cups shredded chicken
  • 250g cream cheese
  • ¾ cup Frank’s red hot sauce
  • 1 cup ranch dressing
  • 1½ cups shredded, tasty cheddar (~180g)
Yesterday was the first time I ever did a pulled meat. I bought a BBQ (rotisserie) chicken, stripped the meat from the bone (removing the skin) and just used a hand mixer with dough attachment to shred it. Worked really well, and I can only assume much easier then messing around with some forks for however long.

Throw it all in a slow cooker. If you're just making dip, leave ½ cup of shredded cheese to the side.

Stir every 30 minutes. I did mine on low for about 3 hours. When all the cream cheese has melted and mixed in, it's done.

If you're making a dip, add the last half cup of shredded cheese on top, and let it melt. You're ready to start dipping.

I usually use vintage cheddars whenever cheddar is called for, but I decided to just grab some regular, pre-shredded tasty cheddar, and it turned out to provide plenty of flavour, so I'll stick with it in future.

Stuffed Jalapenos
Slice your jalapenos in half. Scoop the insides out with a spoon. Place generous spoonfuls of cheesy buffalo chicken dip inside. Wrap with salami, streaky bacon or other meat of your choice. I partially pre-fried the bacon, which is supposed to assist it in crisping up. If you don't have a wrapping meat (I ran out), stick a bit of extra cheese on top, because why not?

Stick them in the oven for 20 minutes, at around 205° C.

I haven't actually finished mine yet -- they're due to go in the oven in about three hours.

I've never made them before, so I can't absolutely guarantee the finished product, but the actual dip is fucking amazing, so I can't see how they're not going be awesome.

Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip
  • 4 cups shredded chicken
  • 250g cream cheese
  • ¾ cup Frank’s red hot sauce
  • 1 cup ranch dressing
  • 1½ cups shredded, tasty cheddar (~180g)
Yesterday was the first time I ever did a pulled meat. I bought a BBQ (rotisserie) chicken, stripped the meat from the bone (removing the skin) and just used a hand mixer with dough attachment to shred it. Worked really well, and I can only assume much easier then messing around with some forks for however long.

Throw it all in a slow cooker. If you're just making dip, leave ½ cup of shredded cheese to the side.

Stir every 30 minutes. I did mine on low for about 3 hours. When all the cream cheese has melted and mixed in, it's done.

If you're making a dip, add the last half cup of shredded cheese on top, and let it melt. You're ready to start dipping.

I usually use vintage cheddars whenever cheddar is called for, but I decided to just grab some regular, pre-shredded tasty cheddar, and it turned out to provide plenty of flavour, so I'll stick with it in future.

Stuffed Jalapenos
Slice your jalapenos in half. Scoop the insides out with a spoon. Place generous spoonfuls of cheesy buffalo chicken dip inside. Wrap with salami, streaky bacon or other meat of your choice. I partially pre-fried the bacon, which is supposed to assist it in crisping up. If you don't have a wrapping meat (I ran out), stick a bit of extra cheese on top, because why not?

Stick them in the oven for 20 minutes, at around 205° C.

I haven't actually finished mine yet -- they're due to go in the oven in about three hours.

I've never made them before, so I can't absolutely guarantee the finished product, but the actual dip is fucking amazing, so I can't see how they're not going be awesome.
Your recipe for arteriosclerosis looks delicious!

Made a skirt steak with Pom frites and salad greens. it paired well with Lagavulin's Offerman Charred Oak Cask release.

Trying out the new air frier tonight. Chicken wings and drums with a marinade spittingwife chose. I'm worried it might be a little hot for her, even though it says 'mild' on the bottle.

Travel Breads. Want to keep your players going? Make them have these for snacks. Then watch on how their ration qualities improve.

I brewed a traditional Oktoberfest beer last week, waiting for fermentation to finish, going into the keg on Friday.

Sadly, as its a lager, it might not be ready to drink until November. :-/

b8a60ba1-f0e1-43fe-8feb-6416e15fa068.jpg

I brewed a traditional Oktoberfest beer last week, waiting for fermentation to finish, going into the keg on Friday.

Sadly, as its a lager, it might not be ready to drink until November. :-/

b8a60ba1-f0e1-43fe-8feb-6416e15fa068.jpg
But Bruno the Kid taught me that on a German calendar, every month is Oktober, because they like festing so much! :tongue:

Help me make a decision in the next 40 minutes regarding my lunch break: burrito, pasta, or sloppy joe?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back