The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Purchased. There are restaurants within a few minutes of work that do a good job of the above. Burrito would most likely be steak, but maybe chicken.

Purchased. There are restaurants within a few minutes of work that do a good job of the above. Burrito would most likely be steak, but maybe chicken.
I'll take a good burrito there pretty much every time then. I rarely buy pasta out and sloppy joes are not as regularly great at restaurants as burritos are. Plus Mexican is my jam and there is more likely to be a bunch of tasty spicy-ass toppings.

There is a particularly absurd markup on restaurant-bought pasta vs. home-cooked. Okay, I've eliminated that option.
Yeah. Also in a lot of cases my food decisions out are at least in part about avoiding things I can easily cook at home, with pasta as a prime example. This is the reason I often get fries - I don't deep fry things at home so they seem like a treat.

Yeah. Also in a lot of cases my food decisions out are at least in part about avoiding things I can easily cook at home, with pasta as a prime example. This is the reason I often get fries - I don't deep fry things at home so they seem like a treat.

I never deep fry either. It feels like a lot of trouble when you're cooking just a bit of stuff. Time to heat up all that oil then disposing of all that oil. I have nothing against deep fried food, though.

I never deep fry either. It feels like a lot of trouble when you're cooking just a bit of stuff. Time to heat up all that oil then disposing of all that oil. I have nothing against deep fried food, though.
One of my teens (the one who's working his very first job) mentioned tonight that he was thinking of buying an air fryer. I probably wouldn't buy one, but after some thought I told him we could find counter space for it. My wife wouldn't put up with actual deep frying, but air frying might be a workable compromise.

Although cooking pasta is super-easy, I almost never do it, because I live alone and don't want to cook pasta for just me.

They've got a pretty crazy sale on beef roasts at my grocer. Thinking of getting one and cooking it in beer.

Help me make a decision in the next 40 minutes regarding my lunch break: burrito, pasta, or sloppy joe?
I've heard of a sloppy joe but didn't know what it was until I searched Wikipedia. As minced beef (ground beef) is my favourite food, I'll have to try this. I've never thought of having it in a sandwich, between two buns.

I've heard of a sloppy joe but didn't know what it was until I searched Wikipedia. As minced beef (ground beef) is my favourite food, I'll have to try this. I've never thought of having it in a sandwich, between two buns.

Its a bit of an acquired taste, but I like them. My kids hate them, so once they showed up, no more sloppy joes for me :-/

As someone who's finished off tons of them, don't be afraid to go with what you like. The Sloppy Joe is just a subset of a greater "loose-meat sandwich" multiverse. There is also the Maid Rite which is very simple to the Chopped Cheese, which is very close to a cheeseburger for people too lazy to shape a patty

As someone who's finished off tons of them, don't be afraid to go with what you like. The Sloppy Joe is just a subset of a greater "loose-meat sandwich" multiverse. There is also the Maid Rite which is very simple to the Chopped Cheese, which is very close to a cheeseburger for people too lazy to shape a patty
You say that, but from what I’ve seen, plenty of chopped cheese sandwiches start with formed burger patties that are chopped during cooking.

So if anyone wants to up their curry game this site: Glebe Kitchen has the best breakdown of how to make restaurant style curries that I've read. The process involves a lot of up front prep, but it grinds out great curries in about 15 minutes once you're rocking.

Oh, look! I can stop posting these in "What have you been doing lately?"

My latest eggcellent eggsploration:

1706211270009.png

Just so y'all know what you're looking at, those are hollowed out Hawaiian rolls, filled with an egg and slow pan-fried to crisp the egg and then flipped once to brown the bun. I put them in the microwave for 15 seconds just to be sure. I don't mind runny eggs, but prefer not to be surprised by raw insides.

The one on the left is upside down.

Edit: For the record, these were finger food. No runny yolks, nothing overcooked. Crisp undershell, perfect on the inside.

Last edited:
No haggis this year, so I went with bangers and mash with peas for Rabbie Burns day.

the bangers from my local meat market, the mash with Roquefort blended in and homemade onion gravy.

“Address To A Regular Ol’ Sausage” just doesn’t have the same impact, now, does it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back