The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
No. I meant nadir. My addiction to the sacred Juice of the Brown Serpent has brought me to my knees. It consumes me by bringing together my fiddly technophilic habits, with my collecting purism and my hedonistic love of culinary decadence... all in one hobby.

I’m like a junkie astronaut that has crash landed on moon made of black tar opium.

All Hail Almighty Java, May he cleanse my soul in his umber coils!

Been trying to get into mead — the Internet assures me there are half a dozen local brewers but I can’t find their stuff for sale anywhere.

I always fancied mead, as a proper folky drink, then I tried it and never had the inkling to try it again.

I recently had an IPA, from a local craft brewery.

That was your first mistake, trying an IPA. I've never had an IPA that I liked.

Ordered a local brew billed as an “English-style barley wine” and was served a hop bomb where malt was but a distant memory. Paid through the nose and didn’t even finish it. So mad.

Trader Joes (the best US market chain) is selling mint plants. I've been making fresh mint lassi with honey and yogurt and its my favorite non-booze drink ever to come out of my blender. Though, I'm surprised how much mint I need to use in a lassi or in a mojito. I'm stripping down a plant for 2-3 drinks. Fortunately, the fresh plant is $2 so its more of an issue of harvesting than cost.

We had poffertjes the other day! It had been a long time. We simply added the traditional butter and icing sugar (poedersuiker), none of that hipster shit.

recept-poffertjes-uitgelicht.jpg

End of the week sometimes means grab whatever's around and turn it into a pseudo-omelette.
20190613_170140.jpg

I was at the situation of "I need to go grocery shopping" and was very happy with my improvised meal comprised of leftover rice, a can of black beans I found in the back of the cabinet, a chorizo log we'd bought on sale and left in the freezer that we forgot about, cheese, and salsa.

Came out really good.

Laphroaig is my favorite booze but more often than not I'm drinking Trader Joe's house brand because it's cheap and gets the job done.

Mrs. Savage and I happen to live within a Korean and Southeast Asian community. We don't eat out a whole lot but when we do, it's often Korean bbq, pho, dim sum, tom yum, oysters, and Cajun-Vietnamese (which is a thing believe it or not). Most of this stuff has a lot of complex carbs so it's definitely a cheat day treat and we frequently share a single plate or bowl because portions can be massive.

At home, Mrs. Savage and I avoid processed food but we're also quite lazy so we aim to keep meals as simple as possible.

Breakfast for me is usually 1/2 cup of oatmeal + banana served with coffee or espresso. Mrs. Savage eats plain Greek yogurt with whatever fresh berries are in season and a 1/2 teaspoon of honey.

Ever since Mrs. Savage found a nearby farmer's market, I eat a simple Greek salad just about every day for lunch. Tomato, red onion, Persian cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt with a good French feta. There are few foods I could eat daily but this is one of them.

Dinner is animal protein + roasted or steamed vegetables. Right now we're on a lean ground turkey kick because it's easy and flexible; stuffed peppers, taco salad, chili, and taco lettuce wraps are easy to throw together.

My guilty pleasure meal is toasted sourdough, Trader Joe's mayo, sliced and layered tomatoes, coarse salt, and fresh cracked black pepper.

I recently came into possession of some Shallots and have no idea what to do with them. I also recently made a Jalapeno Popper Salad, it was fantastic!
Last week I had a shrimp and crab cheese melt, as well as some szechuan octopus. The melt was pretty good, the octopus tasted like spicy chicken.

Tacos al pastor with Mexican slaw on homemade corn tortillas.

Mexican slaw.: cabbage, carrot, rice vinegar, lime juice, green onion, cilantro.
Next time I’m going to add som3 jalapeño and some honey to give a balance of tangy, sweet, and heat.

Rob

If you like steak, invest in a cast-iron pan.

I don’t know how I managed to survive this long without one.

(Waiting a few months for the pan to temper before trying the real fun stuff — e.g. desserts)

Just whipped up a real man’s dinner for my father-in-law and I: steak, and a Belgian dubbel. Nothing else.

(Waiting a few months for the pan to temper before trying the real fun stuff — e.g. desserts)

Just whipped up a real man’s dinner for my father-in-law and I: steak, and a Belgian dubbel. Nothing else.
I agree. We do all of our stove top cooking with a couple cast-iron pans, a small steel copper-bottomed pot, and an enameled cast-iron Dutch oven. I don't use any of that Teflon stuff.

Another indispensable kitchen item is a decent chef's knife. For many years I thought a nice chef's knife was only for foodies or professionals until I used one and was shocked at the difference in performance. They aren't as expensive as I imagined and there are a lot of good choices for $50-$100; I am very happy with my J. A. Henkels chef's knife and Santoku kitchen knife. Like cast iron pans, with proper maintenance they should last damn near forever.

I drank "Tonic Espresso" last night. Because I'm an addict and susceptible to suggestion in my coffee-addled state, this trendy concoction of an *iced* espresso (which is sacrilegious enough) then to pour it into Tonic water...

Yeah... to my surprise it tasted like dark-coffee-flavored beer. And I *liked* it.

I'm scared. So scared....

My older son got freaked out because I decided I wanted strawberry preserves on my burger today. I just have been having an obsession with fruit + meat flavors. It was really good actually.
What the actual fuck, Norton! I'm with the kid.
It would have been better had I had any cream cheese.

Never done it on burgers, but my mother and my girlfriend both respond the same way to how I like to dress a roast beef tortilla wrap: dijon mustard, cream cheese, and strawberry jelly. Something I picked up from an old Dutch recipe.

My other standby, actually my introduction to sriracha, is to put just a little bit on a strawberry Pop-Tart.

Cast Iron is also IMO the best way to cook eggs, especially omelettes.

I approve of that message:grin:!

For a chef's knife, however, I use a ceramic knife that I got for the kingly price of about $3, and cuts like a razor. With proper use (meaning not dulling or nicking the edge), I suspect it would also last damn near forever:shade:!

Ceramic knives are so so nice. I can't imagine going back to any other material for my cooking knives.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back