The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
[ . . . ]
Didn’t eat anywhere fancy but had some great meals. So much for the bad reputation of British cuisine.
British cuisine has improved quite significantly since the 1970s but you'll notice a distinct lack of 'British restaurants' in the trendy nightlife districts of major cities in other country. You can see some weird shit in Asia, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a British restaurant there either.

OTOH, they do have Australian pubs here in the UK. Just why?

Last edited:
Man when I move I want to move to a place with a better kitchen. We moved where we did because its a fairly large house for a reasonable price in a super safe area, which is great for the kids... but the kitchen is a small galley style kitchen for some reason. It sucks to cook in it, so I don't do anything beyond basic stuff very often :/. Just feel like I have to fight with my lack counter space to make much.
I doubt your kitchen is smaller than ours... :thumbsdown:

British cuisine has improved quite significantly since the 1970s but you'll notice a distinct lack of 'British restaurants' in the trendy nightlife districts of major cities in other country. You can see some weird shit in Asia, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a British restaurant there either.

OTOH, they do have Australian pubs here in the UK. Just why?
In 95 when I worked in Saint Petersburg there was a nice restaurant there called the American Grill. The thing is it was owned and run completely by British people. The food was quite good but I noticed at the time that it was all British food.

In 95 when I worked in Saint Petersburg there was a nice restaurant there called the American Grill. The thing is it was owned and run completely by British people. The food was quite good but I noticed at the time that it was all British food.
They must have ment that it was 1760 American food.

I drank coffee for the first time in well over a decade this morning. Coffee still tastes terrible to me no matter what you put in it, but it woke me up and kept me going, so it did its job.
I also got to taste a piece of an AMAZING Portobello Burger. It was truly divinely inspired and I can't wait to learn how to make it.

So I decided to get over my small kitchen and try making up a recipe again. Ended up roasting a pork loin in a pressure cooker, then cutting it down into half inch strips, breading it in panko using chogochujang in place of egg for the wet step of the breading process and pan frying it.

Turned out really well but I have a few ideas on how to make it better. I also was paying so much attention to that that I managed to burn the eggplant in my roasted vegetables though >_>.

Overall a successful meal though as the rest of the roasted veggies tasted great.

British cuisine has improved quite significantly since the 1970s but you'll notice a distinct lack of 'British restaurants' in the trendy nightlife districts of major cities in other country.

Fun fact: some of the best meals I've ever had have been in England, Wales, and Ireland.

Found Vegemite in a supermarket here for the first time in a couple of years. It disappeared from all the supermarkets (even the Waitrose in Sunningdale, which has stuff like ostrich eggs from time to time) a couple of years ago, but I found some today.

I find this a spark of light in all he Brexit doom and gloom.

Last edited:
It’s back to food prepping for the week.

Swiss steak in the crock pot. A batch of red chile sauce for breakfast burritos.

and “Ramen.”

I took chicken and vegetable stock, stir fry veggie mix, yakisoba noodles and the flavor packets that came with them, and Chinese style bbq pork.

Rob

So I decided to get over my small kitchen and try making up a recipe again. Ended up roasting a pork loin in a pressure cooker, then cutting it down into half inch strips, breading it in panko using chogochujang in place of egg for the wet step of the breading process and pan frying it.

Turned out really well but I have a few ideas on how to make it better. I also was paying so much attention to that that I managed to burn the eggplant in my roasted vegetables though >_>.

Overall a successful meal though as the rest of the roasted veggies tasted great.

Big fan of pan-roasted pork loin but it’s a fairly lean cut; I usually whip up a little sauce by deglazing the pan, sometimes adding a little roux, and onions.

Gochujang and breading are an interesting way to go about it, though! How’d it turn out?

Such a great cut. I should eat it more often.

Went to check out The Salsa Shop. To our pleasant surprise, this chain serves Mexican food that actually tastes Mexican. Also, it turned out they had Cholula sauce for sale, so we bought two bottles, one Original and one Chipotle.

61EN5x1KHsL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

Now I can upload the pics I took of our food and culinary loot:

IMG_20191026_143744.jpg
Three corn tortillas with barbacoa and guacamole, one of them with lettuce and salsa verde, two with salsa chipotle. To drink we had agua de jamaica.

In Mexico it's not common to throw so many ingredients on top of your taco, so the tacos would just have the barbacoa meat, to which you would add some salsa and lemon; and the lettuce, guacamole and other stuff you could add would be more of a little side dish.

IMG_20191026_164803.jpg And our two bottles of Cholula sauce.

Last edited:
Today was a clerical day without students so teachers can get the quarter grading done and posted. I worked from home and made these:

Rice Krispy Treats with Bailey’s Irish Cream Chocolate Chips.

two sticks butter
1 1/3 bags mini marshmallows
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 box rice krispy‘s
1 bag Bailey’s Chocolate chips.

melt butter in pot over low heat, add vanilla, add marshmallows, turning and stirring until fully melted. Add rice krispy’s, stirring to blend. Add chocolate chips, gently pressed into buttered dish and allow to cool.

Rob

had the flu and haven't eaten almost all day. everything comes back up. I should not view this thread because I am quite hungry :smile:

however, i think some cooking will happen this weekend, once my wife deems i am not contagious of course.

Haven't been shopping in a week so lunch is whatever was on hand. The secret is in my Mexican cheese sauce that doesn't look appetizing but tastes great. I don't know if you can make out the onions as they are very pale and chopped so thin they're nearly transparent. I just wish some tomatoes were available but my plants are free of fruit.
20191103_143925.jpg

Question to the wise heads and refined palates of the RPG Pub: I am thinking of breaking my many-years-spanning (though mostly accidental) bout of teetotallerism with a few glasses of sherry. Anyone got any suggestions for what to eat along with it? Preferably something that isn't too complicated to cook or bake for myself.

Question to the wise heads and refined palates of the RPG Pub: I am thinking of breaking my many-years-spanning (though mostly accidental) bout of teetotallerism with a few glasses of sherry. Anyone got any suggestions for what to eat along with it? Preferably something that isn't too complicated to cook or bake for myself.

What kind of sherry are we talking about?

What kind of sherry are we talking about?

Hmm. Let's assume I'm willing to take suggestions on that one also? Because I remember that I used to like sherry, but I can't remember what sort it was I used to drink.

Hmm. Let's assume I'm willing to take suggestions on that one also? Because I remember that I used to like sherry, but I can't remember what sort it was I used to drink.

The site I linked has plenty of information on each type (including food pairing), but here’s my take on it:

Fino and a plate of tapas. Olives, salted nuts, charcuterie. Maybe even oysters, though I’m told Manzanilla might better fit the bill (never had it).

Amontillado is an aged Fino and also goes great with tapas and shellfish, but can stand up to heartier fare like roast chicken, grilled salmon or mushrooms.

Oloroso is the most badass, full-bodied style of dry sherry and you can pair it as you might pair a Cabernet or a Belgian strong dark ales. Roast pork or lamb, oxtail stew, aged cheeses.

Pedro Ximénez is a sweet dessert wine which most of the time I find too syrupy, but you can get “cream sherry” which is 75% Fino and 25% PX and amazing and just right. Pair it with apple pie à la mode, or caramel custard, or cajeta.

So I have this habit when I'm too lazy to get to the store of coming up with new sauces to put on instant ramen to make them tasty (I strain mine because I don't really like soups much, so sauces work really well).

Experiment for today:
White Miso, Peanut butter, ginger paste, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy.

Turned out really good.

More adventures in being up at 5am cause my job is weird. Didn't have any bread to make a pb&j. Didn't have any cheese to make a cheese quesadilla.

Made a peanut butter & jelly quesadilla, pan fried it, then powdered it with confectionery sugar. I went into it thinking I'd either made a 5head move, or the smoothest brain thing ever.

.... Was surprisingly super tasty. The only problem was that with the pb&j melted it was so so messy.

Pretty much. Tortilla+mexican blend of cheese. Throw some taco sauce in there. throw it in a pan. (also not sure if you use wheat or corn tortillas for sincronizada. Wheat tortillas are generally used for quesadillas in the states).

Aha I like that I edited in the answer to your question before you answered it.

But yeah, i don't think corn tortilla would have gone as well with the sweetness of PB&J either.

Quesadillas are assumed to have cheese on them most of the time, but in Mexico City they can contain any more or less traditional combination of ingredients and they're commonly fried in oil. AFAIK they're usually corn tortillas in either case.

IMG_20181114_091900.jpg IMG_20181114_092359.jpg IMG_20181114_092403.jpg
Photos taken at Mercado Margarita Maza de Juárez, Oriental s/n esquina, Calz. de las Bombas, Alianza Popular Revolucionaria, Coyoacán, 04800 CDMX, Mexico. Check it out if you're ever in the vicinity!

Disclaimer: I have no experience with the general cuisine of El Norte. I do know they tend to use wheat tortillas more often up north.

Last edited:
Off to Indonesia in two weeks. Looking forward to putting on about 10kg while I'm there.

Can't you just compensate by sweating it off at the same time?
Well, you see there are these two technologies: air conditioning and motorcycle taxies. The former keeps you nice and cool inside and the latter brings you delicious street food at the beck and call of an app. Jakarta, in particular, is pretty eclectic. In addition to many, many thousands of traditional street food vendors and little indie restaurants there is also this huge eclectic mix of international food you can get there. Jakarta (or Indonesia in general for that matter) is quite the mecca for foodies.

One can go out in the noonday sun like mad dogs and Englishmen, of course, but pretty much everything in the cities is in air-conditioned buildings. The traffic in Jakarta (most of Indonesia really) is so dire and the public transport so woefully inadequate that taxis are pretty much the means of choice to get around. They're also pretty cheap.

Well, you see there are these two technologies: air conditioning and motorcycle taxies. The former keeps you nice and cool inside and the latter brings you delicious street food at the beck and call of an app. Jakarta, in particular, is pretty eclectic. In addition to many, many thousands of traditional street food vendors and little indie restaurants there is also this huge eclectic mix of international food you can get there. Jakarta (or Indonesia in general for that matter) is quite the mecca for foodies.

One can go out in the noonday sun like mad dogs and Englishmen, of course, but pretty much everything in the cities is in air-conditioned buildings. The traffic in Jakarta (most of Indonesia really) is so dire and the public transport so woefully inadequate that taxis are pretty much the means of choice to get around. They're also pretty cheap.
So, you can choose to sweat it off, if you want?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back