The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
One of my wife's co-workers returned from a hunting trip during the week and started handing out venison steaks like it's Hogswatch and she's the Hogfather. I seared it on a high heat and left it on the grill for five full minutes, because it was thick-cut. Came out perfectly medium-rare. Served it up with peas, carrots and garlic bread.

Sorry, no pics. Too busy stuffing my face.

One of my wife's co-workers returned from a hunting trip during the week and started handing out venison steaks like it's Hogswatch and she's the Hogfather. I seared it on a high heat and left it on the grill for five full minutes, because it was thick-cut. Came out perfectly medium-rare. Served it up with peas, carrots and garlic bread.

Sorry, no pics. Too busy stuffing my face.
Something I'd forgotten about New Zealand is that it's one of the few countries where 'cheap' or 'free' and 'venison' can be uttered in the same sentence.

They're also one of the largest deer ranchers in the world, a fact I recently learned.
Introduced deer are a noxious pest in New Zealand, and hunting them is a common practice. They started farming deer in the 1960s-1970s by catching wild ones in helicopters (do a web search for some spectactular vids of the process). Now it's quite a substantial industry.

Back in the Jurassic1980s, my folks used to farm Angora goats, which is a process involving transplanting Angora ova into dairy does. Our vet had deer - they're very scatty and can jump tall buildings in a single bound, so they need enormous fences to keep them put.

I'm in the middle of baking cookies with my older son for Christmas, and we are making spicy mexican hot chocolate cookies. So the dough is like really really dark brown.

I've got the dough ready, and I'm forming it into cookies on the tray, and like, they look hilariously awful cause the dough is weirdly stickier than I was used to for cookies.

And then my son calls them "Spicy Little Christmas Shits" and I had a giggle fit for the next 5 minutes trying to scoop them onto the tray.

spicy mexican hot chocolate
Which reminds me, christmas is time for mole negro at our house!

tenor.gif

Made some bread and butter pickles yesterday. On a whim I tossed in 2 star anise pods, one for each jar.
Holy hell does that licorice flavor come through.
Have to throw out and not put in any pods.
One even had 7 dried ghost peppers in it, for those whom like it spicy

Explain to me what these "butter pickles" are!

I'm a pickle-kick these days. I go to this hole-in-the-wall (literally - you walk up to it off the street in one of the worst neighborhoods in Dallas and there is a window in the wall) where they serve southern fried chicken and deep-fried pickles which they squeeze over their fries. Picklejuice + fries....sooo good.

I've started dashing my pork-rinds with picklejuice now... NOM!!!

What is this magic concoction you speak of?!?!?!?

I'm a pickle-kick these days. I go to this hole-in-the-wall (literally - you walk up to it off the street in one of the worst neighborhoods in Dallas and there is a window in the wall) where they serve southern fried chicken and deep-fried pickles which they squeeze over their fries. Picklejuice + fries....sooo good.

Bread and Butter pickles are pickle goodness! Manna in a jar, so to speak.

Bread n Butter pickles are sweet pickles. think dill pickles without the dill and added sugar. They strike a balance between sweet and tangy.

Tried a wagyu steak for the first time, although I'm not sure I could really tell the difference between wagyu and any other type of steak.

Also, Pecel Lele - crispy fried catfish from a street food vendor.
I only tried a Wagyu steak once as I can't justify the costs. It was awesome though!

A glorious night of whisky tasting with the local whisky club. Managed to try a ton of classic scotches I’d been meaning to try for a while such as Dewar’s 12 (solid), Glenmorangie 10 (very good), Laphroaig 10 (interesting, but not quite my jam), Edradour Ballechin and Port Charlotte 10 (easily my favorites).

I really should spend a week or two sans alcohol, but given the time of the year, I can’t even fool myself into believing this.

tonight I cook Filipino adobo chicken! I'm marinating it all day.

On the scale of ease to cook it's like a 1. But for people that don't eat filipino cuisine they assume it's hard to make. SHHH!!! It's just our little secret!

I'm making a Jalapeno Popper Salad today for a Christmas party tomorrow. This will be the third time I've made it and the first time I've made it with an oven instead of a grill.

Just about to spend two weeks eating Russian food. Maybe Goose for Christmas and Duck for New Year.

damn I loves me some duck... all we filipinos typically get is balut... Hey what do you expect from a bunch of recovering headhunting cannibals?

One of the offspring has requested maple syrup beef jerky.

From the looks of it i have 2 options.
  1. add the maple syrup while desiccating the meat.
  2. add the maple syrup while in marinade.
think 2 is the better way.

I had some maple walnut fudge AND vanilla cupcakes with cranberries in the middle. Win/win.

damn I loves me some duck... all we filipinos typically get is balut... Hey what do you expect from a bunch of recovering headhunting cannibals?
If you don't mind braving a Lion Air flight to Indonesia, there's Duck King. My in-laws swear by it.

Mini-review: Vegetables tend to be cooked with way too much garlic, although that's more of an asian taste thing, I suspect. Some of the other items were way over-garlic-ed as well but most are pretty good. The duck is the dog's bollocks.

Plus, the logo looks like the duck is giving you the finger. What more could you want?

duckking_logo.png

Last edited:
Durian flavoured ice cream mochi. Still can't say I see the appeal of durians.

However, I've made it my mission to see if I can find something durian flavoured to bring back to feed to my cow-orkers. Last trip it was green tea flavoured kit kats.

However, I've made it my mission to see if I can find something durian flavoured to bring back to feed to my cow-orkers. Last trip it was green tea flavoured kit kats.
I tried durian pancakes at the local night market. They tasted... okay, I guess.

The first time I burped I realised I had made a terrible mistake. Haven't gone near durian since.

Bought a whole load of Indonesian stuff to bring home (oleh-oleh in colloquial bhasa). Wafer biscuits are quite big here so I found some pandan, green tea and durian flavoured wafers to take for my cow-orkers. I have no idea how they will take to the durian ones.

Green tea flavoured Kit Kats are fine.

I brought back candy with tamarind and chilli from Mexico for my cow-workers one time. To my sheer delight, most didn't enjoy it at all. :devil:

20140509-mexican-snacks-pulparindo-thumb-610x510-4012841.jpg
picante y salado :angel:

Last edited:
Bought a whole load of Indonesian stuff to bring home (oleh-oleh in colloquial bhasa). Wafer biscuits are quite big here so I found some pandan, green tea and durian flavoured wafers to take for my cow-orkers. I have no idea how they will take to the durian ones.
My wife taught English in Thailand for two years, and she has a friend over there who occasionally sends her care packages, including durian toffees. One year they were the wrong sort and she didn't want them - so I got to take them to work with me.

To my delight, everyone hated them so much the universal response was to declare how awful they were and then to pass them on to the next unsuspecting orker to keep the joke going.

Everyone thought they tasted different, too. One guy compared them to curry. Another to diesel fuel. A third to vomit. I thought they tasted like coconut and onion.

I've been trying to get this Filipino colleague to offer her durian cookies to the shiftleaders while putting up an innocent face and telling them 'here, I baked something for you". But she's too decent for such things.

I've been trying to get this Filipino colleague to offer her durian cookies to the shiftleaders while putting up an innocent face and telling them 'here, I baked something for you". But she's too decent for such things.
I hear durian is pretty tasty once you get past the stench.

It tends to be a love-or-hate thing. My in-laws like it but I don't really have much time for it. I find the taste and texture remind me of onion-flavoured custard.

In unrelated news, I discovered that a common colloquialism for Doryaki in Indonesia is 'Roti Doraemon'; So Cute - Squeee.

For those not inducted into the way of the otaku, Doryaki are Japanese snacks made up of a pancake sandwich with some sort of flavoured cream filling. I first encountered Doryaki during my extensive travels on Fenchurch St.
You can get them at Wasabi.

Last edited:
Hot cocoa for everyone (kids' mugs not in photo):
20200105_103630.jpg

I've settled on taco salad for tonight's dinner. I have some leftover taco meat, but not enough to justify opening a package of 12 fresh tortillas, and I do have plenty of salad veggies, so taco salad it is. And I've got some of my local Mexican grocery store's awesome fresh pico de gallo to dress it with. :smile:

I imagine it’s like jackfruit, which is fairly common (and in fact, an invasive species) here in Brazil. Strong smell, some people love it, some can’t stand it.

Tossed together a little of this and a little of that from what's left in the house...
20200123_170220.jpg
20200123_170244.jpg
20200123_170640.jpg

I imagine it’s like jackfruit, which is fairly common (and in fact, an invasive species) here in Brazil. Strong smell, some people love it, some can’t stand it.
Much, much smellier than jackfruit, and the texture is quite different. They're not allowed on public transport or in hotels in many countries.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back