The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Sticky Tempe. Chopped up tempe and dried sprats glazed with kecap manis and some chilli. More-ish Indonesian snack.

The tempe is made by an outfit in the Netherlands. The kecap manis is Bango, which is the one all the expats want but difficult enough to source here that we brought some home from Indonesia.

In related news we pulled the last of our last batch of rendang out of the freezer. Redang is fabulous. It loves being re-heated and doesn't mind being frozen.

Sticky Tempe.jpeg

Last edited:
That's okay, just means more for the rest of us.

Southerners have very strong opinions about mayonnaise, and Duke's in particular.
Excuse the novice question but is Dukes that good. I’m not sure we have it here but I could order it.

Yellowfin tuna seasoned with garlic,onion, and soy; baby Dutch yellow potatoes seasoned with garlic, parsley, and paprika; tomatoes from our own garden; and Corona with lime = lunch.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Excuse the novice question but is Dukes that good. I’m not sure we have it here but I could order it.
Okay, realistically, it's a matter of what you're raised up with, to a large degree.

For me, as this article notes, I think the lack of sugar, the higher egg yolk ratio, and the creamier consistency help to set it apart.

Okay, realistically, it's a matter of what you're raised up with, to a large degree.

For me, as this article notes, I think the lack of sugar, the higher egg yolk ratio, and the creamier consistency help to set it apart.
We like mayo in Texas too but I hadn’t heard of Dukes. If it’s available on Amazon I will order it and try it out! Thanks!

This isn't the first time I've heard people singing the praises of Duke's. I bought some at Kroger today. I found it ok. That's praise considering that I find mayo to be pasty blobs of fat. I buy a small jar to use in recipes and tuna salad and it lasts a year. Duke's has some flavor and a slightly better texture than the sliminess of most mayo.

It's depressing how many businesses don't exist only a couple months into this shutdown. I got us takeout from Lido's for dinner and left a good tip just to do what little I can to keep them afloat. I hope they don't go under as well.
Good to go, I feel the same way. I honestly don't know how my local family owned restaurants are scraping by without putting themselves into massive debt. Since the wife and I are lucky enough to be working, the least we can do is give our business to our favorite small eateries and tip generously.
Southerners have very strong opinions about mayonnaise, and Duke's in particular.
Okay, I'll bite. I never cared for mayo until maybe 6 months ago when I had some good fucking mayo. Since then I have warmed up to the inclusion of mayo in my diet.

organic-mayonnaise-300x265.jpg

I'll order some Duke's online. I am surprised that the nearest brick and mortar that sells Duke's is in a bad neighborhood between Compton and Lynwood. Seriously WTF?

This isn't the first time I've heard people singing the praises of Duke's. I bought some at Kroger today. I found it ok. That's praise considering that I find mayo to be pasty blobs of fat. I buy a small jar to use in recipes and tuna salad and it lasts a year. Duke's has some flavor and a slightly better texture than the sliminess of most mayo.
Yeah, realistically, it's not going to change your mind if you don't like mayo in the first place. That said, it works well in recipes for stuff like pasta salads because of the better consistency.

friet.jpg

iStock-183810712.jpg

Shit, now I'm hungry...

we need a nauseous emoji...

Okay I ordered some Duke's mayo via Amazon and tried it out. I also found it at my local grocery store now that I know what to look for. It was good, probably better than I have ever had before, but it was also pricy...

Put a pork roast in the crockpot with a little liquid smoke and chopped green chili. Going to FaceTime my mom later and mske her potato salad as we visit.

My dinner was a spicy sausage and pepper stew, and it was pretty nice, plus there was enough left for tomorrow's dinner as well.

I'm currently drinking red wine from a mason jar, as I don't own any wine glasses, so that's my highly classy friday night ^.^

Haven't eaten yet today so here is today's very late, very large lunch: salmon fillets seasoned with ginger, soy, garlic, and chile pepper; baby Dutch yellow potatoes seasoned with garlic and paprika; tomatoes from our garden; a plate of Gouda, Asiago, and Gruyère cheeses; and a glass of Merlot.
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

Haven't eaten yet today so here is today's very late, very large lunch: salmon fillets seasoned with ginger, soy, garlic, and chile pepper; baby Dutch yellow potatoes seasoned with garlic and paprika; tomatoes from our garden; a plate of Gouda, Asiago, and Gruyère cheeses; and a glass of Merlot.
Gee you eat good. I can’t complain though as last night we had Angus steaks and baked twice potatoes

About 10 minutes before heading out to work this morning, I realized I didn't have anything prepped for dinner tonight. Hurriedly threw a couple of turkey drumsticks and some black eyed peas in a crock pot to cook on low. About to have that with some drop biscuits that just went into the oven.

Lunch is served! Not pictured: cheese plate, carrots, and tomatoes.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

No idea what this is as my wife made it, but it has rice, beans, corn, chicken, peppers, and I don't know what else in it.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Good to go, I feel the same way. I honestly don't know how my local family owned restaurants are scraping by without putting themselves into massive debt. Since the wife and I are lucky enough to be working, the least we can do is give our business to our favorite small eateries and tip generously.
Okay, I'll bite. I never cared for mayo until maybe 6 months ago when I had some good fucking mayo. Since then I have warmed up to the inclusion of mayo in my diet.

View attachment 18000

I'll order some Duke's online. I am surprised that the nearest brick and mortar that sells Duke's is in a bad neighborhood between Compton and Lynwood. Seriously WTF?
Soul Food = Southern Food most of the time. A friend from Georgia won’t shop anywhere in California other than stores in black neighborhoods because otherwise he never gets what he needs.

I made a Yellow Bell Pepper Ketchup.
The original recipe called for 2 Jalapenos, but I only had 1 Jalapeno and 2 Habeneros that were a little too ripe. It is by far the most amazing thing I've made this year and can pretty much go on anything. Dumarest Dumarest will be happy to know that no mayonaise or eggs were involved in the creation of this condiment.

Attachments

• ketchup.jpg
    ketchup.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 4
Soul Food = Southern Food most of the time. A friend from Georgia won’t shop anywhere in California other than stores in black neighborhoods because otherwise he never gets what he needs.
I cannot believe I didn't put that together but it makes total sense. I lived in South Carolina for a spell and should really know better. I haven't had soul food since 2010!
I made a Yellow Bell Pepper Ketchup.
I imagine it tastes like sriracha, tell me more good sir.

I imagine it tastes like sriracha, tell me more good sir.
It's surprisingly mild in spice, I've never had Sriracha before so I can't compare. It's sweet and peppery, but the spice is mild, probably because you need to sweat the peppers for about half an hour. I'll post the recipe in a little bit.

Yellow Pepper Ketchup Recipe (Makes 32 Fluid Ounces)
Ingredients:
2# Yellow Peppers, seeded and chopped
2/4 Jalapenos, seeded and chopped
2 Habeneros, seeded and chopped
12 oz onion, diced
2 tbsp minced garlic
6 Fluid ounces of Red Wine Vinegar
5 1/4 oz of sugar
cooking oil as needed
Salt n' Pepper as needed

Note: When I made mine, I used 1 Jalapeno per Habenero, although the original recipe calls for just Jalapenos. Adjust the ratio to whatever you feel comfortable with.

Equipment:
1 pot that can hold over a quart of liquid.
1 Blender.

Instructions:
1. Sweat the Bell Peppers, Onions, Jalapenos, Habeneros and garlic in a small amount of oil until they are tender, but not brown. Around 12 minutes.
2. Add the vinegar and sugar and simmer on medium to low heat for 30 - 45 minutes, you don't want to boil it.
3. Puree in a blender until it is a ketchup like consistency, I did it for around 3-5 minutes.
4. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
5. Cool and serve or refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Honestly this goes good with anything I've tried it on, Fried food, sausage, burgers.
The Habeneros give it the right amount of spice, without blocking out any other tastes.
If anyone makes it, let me know how it turned out!

I know I've been slacking in posting pics so, here is breakfast. I had some flank steak I needed to use up, so....steak and eggs for breakfast! Scrambled eggs, double smoked bacon, and orange juice.

Yellow Pepper Ketchup Recipe (Makes 32 Fluid Ounces)
Ingredients:
2# Yellow Peppers, seeded and chopped
2/4 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
2 Habeneros, seeded and chopped
12 oz onion, diced
2 tbsp minced garlic
6 Fluid ounces of Red Wine Vinegar
5 1/4 oz of sugar
cooking oil as needed
Salt n' Pepper as needed

Note: When I made mine, I used 1 jalapeño per Habenero, although the original recipe calls for just jalapeños. Adjust the ratio to whatever you feel comfortable with.

Equipment:
1 pot that can hold over a quart of liquid.
1 Blender.

Instructions:
1. Sweat the Bell Peppers, Onions, jalapeños, Habeneros and garlic in a small amount of oil until they are tender, but not brown. Around 12 minutes.
2. Add the vinegar and sugar and simmer on medium to low heat for 30 - 45 minutes, you don't want to boil it.
3. Puree in a blender until it is a ketchup like consistency, I did it for around 3-5 minutes.
4. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
5. Cool and serve or refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Honestly this goes good with anything I've tried it on, Fried food, sausage, burgers.
The Habeneros give it the right amount of spice, without blocking out any other tastes.
If anyone makes it, let me know how it turned out!
Had some extra tildes lying around and you seemed fresh out and there's no reason the peppers should suffer, so...:hehe:

But you're on your own when the cubanos come to complain about "Habeneros."

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back