The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I've pickled shallots recently and have been using them to replace pickles in my peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. Don't diss it till you try it.
This being the food and drink thread I insist that you elaborate on pickle and peanut butter sandwiches. What kind of bread, pickles, and peanut butter do you recommend?

This being the food and drink thread I insist that you elaborate on pickle and peanut butter sandwiches. What kind of bread, pickles, and peanut butter do you recommend?
Since I was a kid I just had a regular pickle (Kosher, dill etc.) with chunky Adams brand peanut butter on whole wheat bread. Both slices are coated in peanut butter and then the pickles are sliced into impromptu coins and laid between the slices.
When I started culinary school last year I had difficulty finding whole pickles at the nearest grocery store so I dabbled with hamburger pickle chips. They're extra salty which pairs well with the peanut butter.
On my first day of class one of my classmate mentioned the he eats peanut butter and mustard sandwiches, which I tried and they taste good but doesn't have enough crunch to it. So I tried a garlic dill pickle with Dijon mustard and the crunchy peanut butter on whole wheat and that was pretty good. I even went a step further and tried adding a couple slices of cheddar cheese, but while they didn't ruin the sandwich, they also didn't add anything to the flavor.
I've only recently learned how to pickle vegetables and my first experiment was with a sweet pickled red onion recipe. When added to the peanut butter the red onions basically tasted like regular jelly. Pickled shallots are still sweet, but less so than the red onions, which works well on the sandwiches.
The only problem I have is getting the shallot slices out of the jar without dragging a bunch of pickling spices with them. Those pieces of allspice are a little too hard to bite into.
Today I bought a bunch of cucumbers, zucchinis, onions, jalapenos and bell peppers with the intention of pickling them and adding them to my sandwiches. I'm also thinking about throwing in some yellow bell pepper ketchup into the mix. I'll let everyone know in a few days how it turns out.

Since I was a kid I just had a regular pickle (Kosher, dill etc.) with chunky Adams brand peanut butter on whole wheat bread. Both slices are coated in peanut butter and then the pickles are sliced into impromptu coins and laid between the slices.
When I started culinary school last year I had difficulty finding whole pickles at the nearest grocery store so I dabbled with hamburger pickle chips. They're extra salty which pairs well with the peanut butter.
On my first day of class one of my classmate mentioned the he eats peanut butter and mustard sandwiches, which I tried and they taste good but doesn't have enough crunch to it. So I tried a garlic dill pickle with Dijon mustard and the crunchy peanut butter on whole wheat and that was pretty good. I even went a step further and tried adding a couple slices of cheddar cheese, but while they didn't ruin the sandwich, they also didn't add anything to the flavor.
I've only recently learned how to pickle vegetables and my first experiment was with a sweet pickled red onion recipe. When added to the peanut butter the red onions basically tasted like regular jelly. Pickled shallots are still sweet, but less so than the red onions, which works well on the sandwiches.
The only problem I have is getting the shallot slices out of the jar without dragging a bunch of pickling spices with them. Those pieces of allspice are a little too hard to bite into.
Today I bought a bunch of cucumbers, zucchinis, onions, jalapenos and bell peppers with the intention of pickling them and adding them to my sandwiches. I'm also thinking about throwing in some yellow bell pepper ketchup into the mix. I'll let everyone know in a few days how it turns out.
Pickled garlic is the bomb! That and some pickled eggs, beers, and maybe some type of summer sausage is an awesome snack

Alright, I have made a peanut butter, bell pepper ketchup and pickled veggie sandwich and here's the results. Pickled Zucchini is a bit soft but ok, pickled bell pepper strips are great! and pickled onions are also pretty good.
Tomorrow I'm going to try a pickled jalapeno, peanut butter and bell pepper ketchup sandwich.

My kindred is coming over the mountain from Laramie for dinner one night, week after next-- bringing my daughter, my brother and my sister-in-law, and my newborn niece with them. (Ten people, total.) Been awhile since I've fixed my spicy sweet sarap Filipino spaghetti, and some of them have never had it before...

No pictures, this time-- at least yet-- but I am reckoning on four 29 ounce cans of tomato sauce, two 20 ounce bottles of Jufrain Hot and Spicy banana ketchup, two 15 ounce cans of diced tomatoes and green chiles, four 14 ounce cans of sweetened condensed milk, two cans of grated SPAM, two pounds of imported Filipino hot dogs. Five pounds of noodles, and god only knows how much shredded Mexican blend cheese.

I'm pondering experimenting a little with the sauce... because I spent almost a decade fine-tuning my Italian spaghetti sauce before discarding it entirely.

Last edited:
I've been on a smoked salmon kick lately. I tried smoked salmon & scrambled eggs for the first time this morning and it was amazing. If anyone has simple dishes with smoked salmon to share lay them on me.

I will add some flaked smoked salmon as a variation to the recipe from time to time. Also, if you don't want to mess with regular cream cheese, the whipped variety works very well. I usually use an English coastal cheddar and sourdough bread.

I will add some flaked smoked salmon as a variation to the recipe from time to time. Also, if you don't want to mess with regular cream cheese, the whipped variety works very well. I usually use an English coastal cheddar and sourdough bread.

Not to look down on regular cream cheese, but have you ever tried smoked salmon with Boursin de chèvre? Those two on rye and a dram of a nice coastal scotch (Talisker!), make for a heavenly snack.

I have indeed, quite tasty.

I'm sure Brock will make the recipe and see how it turns out and there after will start masking small tiny adjustments to fine tune to match his palette And what ingredients are available.

By the way Butcher, by all means keep offering suggestions and and asking questions, the world is filled with wonderful and amazing options and the more we share our experiences, the more rounded and learned we become.

I've been on a smoked salmon kick lately. I tried smoked salmon & scrambled eggs for the first time this morning and it was amazing. If anyone has simple dishes with smoked salmon to share lay them on me.

I've started keeping smoked salmon-flavored cream cheese on-hand to go with my caviar.

Man, I could really go for some Eggs Royale right now.
I've got to go collect a prescription from a chemist just down from a M&S - which just happens to stock Hollandaise sauce. I am now officially tempted.
Funny you said that because just this morning the wife made me an Egg McMuffin with smoked salmon instead of Canadian bacon and it was delicious!
Add Hollandaise and you get Eggs Royale. Traditionally made with poached eggs on a muffin with smoked salmon and Hollandaise. IIRC it's called Eggs Benedict with Ham or Eggs Florentine with spinach instead of the salmon.

I've got to go collect a prescription from a chemist just down from a M&S - which just happens to stock Hollandaise sauce. I am now officially tempted.

Add Hollandaise and you get Eggs Royale. Traditionally made with poached eggs on a muffin with smoked salmon and Hollandaise. IIRC it's called Eggs Benedict with Ham or Eggs Florentine with spinach instead of the salmon.

To be perfectly honest I never use hollandaise; lazy bum that I am, I just add a dab of mayo and I’m good.

Reese brand makes a pretty solid jarred hollandaise. Just sayin’.

Not available in Brazil, I’m afraid. But quite frankly I do fine without the sauce; runny yolk is all the sauce I need. (Though a well crafted hollandaise, or a little mayo with a squeeze of lime, does bring a certain balance to it all.)

a__59771.1537885133.PNG
+
gmgob.10yov21.jpg
=
yummy-in-my-tummy.png

On tonight's menu at Chez Dumarest: yellowfin tuna, seasoned baby Dutch yellow potatoes, garlic, heirloom tomatoes, and a nice Argentinean Malbec.
Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg

Last edited:
I got a new food project:
Because I am a huge nerd I went on a deep dive working out the food and clothing for the greatest city of my campaign world. The city has a strong Hellenic influence and is a massive seaside port to boot. Garum was one of the first things I said, "This must be a staple in my campaign world"

Because I am a huge nerd I went on a deep dive working out the food and clothing for the greatest city of my campaign world. The city has a strong Hellenic influence and is a massive seaside port to boot. Garum was one of the first things I said, "This must be a staple in my campaign world"
Fermented fish sauce is one of those food items that appears all over the world, mostly southeast Asia but also Worcestershire sauce.
I've only recently discovered Worcestershire sauce while experimenting with homemade tartar sauce. It's addictive and I struggle to not put it on everything I eat.

Growing up in the Seattle area, Alder-smoked salmon was our go-to food for really special occasions. Unfortunately, I developed a fish allergy as an adult :sad:.

Growing up in the Seattle area, Alder-smoked salmon was our go-to food for really special occasions. Unfortunately, I developed a fish allergy as an adult :sad:.
Dude that is brutal. Developing allergies in adulthood majorly sucks. The cat is my spirit animal but I became allergic to them in my late 30's.

Fortunately I'm only allergic to band aids, conditioner and narcissistic bullying, pranking and taunting.

Last edited:
Smoked Salmon for us is used mostly with Rice Balls or Bagels and Lox

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back