The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Sometimes it's the simple joys. A potato, diced and fried in butter, just the right amount of crunch with a creamy center and the burst of sea salt flakes on the tongue...
My Grandpa made the best fried potatoes, never burned, always crisp and creamy. He made some crazy corned beef hash too, but that was rarer because he made his own corned beef for it.

Here's what I've been making all week:
IMG_20201014_095316509.jpg
Top Sirloin Steak on a bed of Potato Parsnip Puree with grilled mushrooms and a spinach salad with mustard vinaigrette. The Steak is cooked Sous Vide style and topped with a Bearnaise Compound Butter.

I like sauces that end in -aise. All of the Ber, Holland and mayo varieties are staples. I can't even count the pounds of scratch hollandaise I've made over the years. So much better than powdered.

I like sauces that end in -aise. All of the Ber, Holland and mayo varieties are staples. I can't even count the pounds of scratch hollandaise I've made over the years. So much better than powdered.
I have a soft spot for the Eggs Benedict family and have a notion that Hollandaise is easy to make, but have never gotten around to trying to make it.

I have a soft spot for the Eggs Benedict family and have a notion that Hollandaise is easy to make, but have never gotten around to trying to make it.
It's easy but it takes a long time if you don't wanna screw it up. It's sllooooooow

Beef stew tonight. This one I've made with no chilli or kidney beans or rice, so it should be relatively easy on my internals. Seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano and cumin, with a bit of lime juice.

Quite a lot for just little old moi, so I'll freeze some of it.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-17 at 19.53.30.jpeg

I take it this is the same thing as pozole. My mother-in-law makes a delicious, simple, clear chicken pozole. Problem is, you cannot get the hominy (nixtamalized maize kernels) here in the Netherlands, rendering it virtually impossible to prepare anything resembling pozole.

chicken-pozole.png
Add cream, queso fresco, chicharrón, lime and chilli to taste. Accompanied by tostadas with cream.

Last edited:
Beef stew tonight. This one I've made with no chilli or kidney beans or rice, so it should be relatively easy on my internals. Seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano and cumin, with a bit of lime juice.

Quite a lot for just little old moi, so I'll freeze some of it.

View attachment 23346
Does it have celery in it? It looks great, but I can't stand the texture and taste of celery stems.

Does it have celery in it? It looks great, but I can't stand the texture and taste of celery stems.
Yes, that is celery. It was mainly vegetables I had lying around - mushrooms, carrots, celery, corn, onion, canned tomatoes.

Yes, that is celery. It was mainly vegetables I had lying around - mushrooms, carrots, celery, corn, onion, canned tomatoes.
Mostly anything is fine, just not celery. I know it's weird.

I take it this is the same thing as pozole. My mother-in-law makes a delicious, simple, clear chicken pozole. Problem is, you cannot get the hominy (nixtamalized maize kernels) here in the Netherlands, rendering it virtually impossible to prepare anything resembling pozole.

chicken-pozole.png
Add cream, queso fresco, chicharrón, lime and chilli to taste. Accompanied by tostadas with cream.

Similar, here is how they like to do it in NM NM Posolè

It's not any harder than any other emulsion. Just add the right stuff in the right order and whisk the shit out of it. I'd recommend a wine reduction with some capers and spices as a flavor base. I always do mine by hand with a whisk btw, no blenders or food processors.

The real trick is to be cautious in how much butter you add in between whisking sessions. A lot of people get impatient and add to much at once, which breaks the emulsion. Go slow until it starts to thicken up nicely, then you can go a little faster with the rest.

Similar, here is how they like to do it in NM NM Posolè
That's more like pozole rojo (red), which is indeed usually prepared with pork. There's also pozole verde (green), which has chicken in it. My mother-in-law usually makes pozole blanco (white or clear), which also has chicken but you only add chilli at the end. The latter is practical if there's people who won't or can't eat it with (too much) chilli. Pozole blanco is apparently typical of central Mexico. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe I also had a rojo once, at a market in Coyoacán, Mexico City.

New Mexican food is interesting, it sits in this intersection between traditional Mexican recipes, Tex-Mex, and its own traditions. One has to look underneath to see how it's become it's own regional culinary tradition, especially concerning red and green chili.

New Mexican food is interesting, it sits in this intersection between traditional Mexican recipes, Tex-Mex, and its own traditions. One has to look underneath to see how it's become it's own regional culinary tradition, especially concerning red and green chili.
I had green chile cheese fries for dinner.

Tried carbonara last night. Partial success — panicked midway through process and removed the pasta with the sauce ingredients from the bowl I was steaming to a nonstick pan, which resulted in a few tiny egg curds in a mostly emulsified sauce — but Mrs. The Butcher and Baby Butcher still loved it.

Lean ground turkey makes up the majority of the animal protein at Casa del Savage so I am always looking for new recipes because I don't want my arteries clogged by age 60. Even though there are at least 19 taquerias near me according to Google Maps (I think that figure is low and doesn't account for food trucks either), the Mrs and I have been on a "white people taco" kick. The kind of tacos I imagine a housewife in Minnesota whipping up for the family every Tuesday night using the tried and true Taco Bell/Del Taco formula. Tortillas, refried beans, seasoned ground meat, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, sliced olives, and a tiny bit of sour cream. To my great surprise, it tastes pretty fucking good if you nail the seasoning and use decent ingredients. I do buy canned refried beans though because I just don't have the time to do it right myself.

I landed some beautiful tuna steaks and am requesting good simple recipes for pan-seared tuna.
Here are a couple I do:
  • Lime (or lemon) juice, salt and pepper. Squeeze about half a lime over the tuna and sprinkle or grind a bit of salt and pepper over the tuna. Fry or grill.
  • Teriyaki glaze - basic teriyaki glaze recipe: Soy sauce, grated ginger, honey. You can add some chilli or other seasonings if you want. Make up the glaze and pour into a plate. Dip the steaks in the glaze then fry or grill.
These also work on a barbecue - by and large tuna has enough structural integrity to do this, where something like cod or haddock wouldn't. Tilapia is also strong enough to fry or grill like this if you want a white fish recipe.

Last edited:
I just pulled a whole pan of bacon out of the oven to have handy for the week.

This is what I'm making at school for the next 2 weeks:
3 Cheese Polenta and Chicken Prosciutto Small.jpg
On the Left is 3 Cheese Polenta with a Grilled Portobella Mushroom, Braised Kale and Marinara Sauce.
On the right is Chicken Scallopini, wrapped in Prosciutto and a Sage Leaf on a bed of grilled mushrooms cherry tomatoes, braised kale/shallots/garlic and marinara sauce all garnished with parsley.

At the Texas State Fair you can get deep fried pats of butter.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back