The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Note to self: don't skip breakfast and then spend the slow times at work reading about BBQ. The cravings are real.
I have skipped breakfst maybe twice in my life. Even at my most hectic. I get so hangry it's not even funny.

And it's been getting worse too. OR staff now are concerned on whether I've had lunch.

I did a two day water fast. My body threw a conniption, but then it got used to it. I noticed after that I didn’t get really hungry after missing a meal. I think I might do intermittent fasting with a two-day water fast every so often.

I did a two day water fast. My body threw a conniption, but then it got used to it. I noticed after that I didn’t get really hungry after missing a meal. I think I might do intermittent fasting with a two-day water fast every so often.
In case some people out there are looking for an easier transition to fasting, you can try sipping organic unfiltered apple juice for some calories on day one. After an amount of time you don't miss the meals and realize how little you really need to eat. I really should do it again.

Sawmill Gravy...Cornmeal or not?
I've experimented using cornmeal, since that was used in the early versions of the recipe, but honestly it winds up being a bit too gritty for my taste. I keep the base very simple - milk and flour, plus a little salt and pepper. The key is the fat/grease you add, plus the meat itself. Breakfast sausage is best for both of those, but I've used bacon grease for the former, and bits of leftover hamburger or turkey burger for the latter.

If cornmeal is too gritty the obvious answer is corn flour. Maybe masa harina in a pinch but it doesn't have that same upfront corn flavor.

I've experimented using cornmeal, since that was used in the early versions of the recipe, but honestly it winds up being a bit too gritty for my taste. I keep the base very simple - milk and flour, plus a little salt and pepper. The key is the fat/grease you add, plus the meat itself. Breakfast sausage is best for both of those, but I've used bacon grease for the former, and bits of leftover hamburger or turkey burger for the latter.
Probably a dumb question but will lean 96% and 97% ground turkey or beef work for this? I am guessing no but hoping yes.

Probably a dumb question but will lean 96% and 97% ground turkey or beef work for this? I am guessing no but hoping yes.
Most purists would say no. Personally, I would be okay with either as the meat, but for the fat part you really want something a little more greasy.

In the end, of course, it's whatever works for you.

Mind you, it's not really the sort of thing you want if you're counting calories or trying to keep things ultra healthy. It's definitely a bit of an Indulgence.

Mind you, it's not really the sort of thing you want if you're counting calories or trying to keep things ultra healthy. It's definitely a bit of an Indulgence.
I know I know, it was wishful thinking on my part and asking you was a Hail Mary. I am not overly concerned about the calories but high cholesterol is a deal breaker for me.

I know I know, it was wishful thinking on my part and asking you was a Hail Mary. I am not overly concerned about the calories but high cholesterol is a deal breaker for me.
Add some fennel and/or assorted spices common to sausage and you'll be fine. Sausage taste without the cholesterol.

Isn’t that true of every Southern dish though? :grin:
Ehh, there are some veggie dishes that can be reasonably healthy, depending on how they're prepped.

But sawmill gravy, as the name implies, was designed for guys burning through a lot of calories while working at the mill.

I can definitely emphasize regarding the cholesterol. Mine isn't real bad, more on the borderline of what could be problematic, but it's something I do keep an eye on. That said, I do allow myself a couple of splurges during any given week.

It's quite rare for me to skip breakfast, but for some reason this morning, I just didn't feel like eating.

Normally I'll at least have an egg and some berries.

I never eat breakfast, though I could not get started in the morning without coffee or tea. I did eat breakfast when I was young, but quit in high school and never looked back.

Add some fennel and/or assorted spices common to sausage and you'll be fine. Sausage taste without the cholesterol.
That might work, although I'd say you still need some fat to get the right consistency with the sauce. The grease from frying up some turkey sausage would probably be the leanest I would go with.

Last edited:
That might work, although I'd say you still need some fat to get the right consistency with the sauce. Tbe grease from frying up some turkey sausage would probably be the leanest I would go with.
Yes, you would still need some fat. Being able to pick which fat gives you some say over the cholesterol content. Anyone who's dead set against adding fat probably shouldn't be making gravy anyway, although corn starch could be used instead of a roux but that's not an answer I like, personally.

Dude I am gonna try turkey meatballs with fennel and rosemary tonight. Appreciate the tip. I use oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs, it works just fine.

I can definitely emphasize regarding the cholesterol. Mine isn't real bad, more on the borderline of what could be problematic, but it's something I do keep an eye on. That said, I do allow myself a couple of splurges during any given week.
Same here. My cholesterol isn't out of control or anything but the doc told me to keep it down so no more fried foods and fatty cuts of meat.

Kept it simple last night: had a really thin sirloin tip steak that I just put a little salt and pepper on and then cooked on med-high heat in a cast iron skillet, about a minute per side. I was happy with the result. Had mustard-based potato salad from the nearby grocery store for a side.

Since we're discussing meatballs, can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong to make mine come apart in the frying pan?
Filler and a bonder. I use oatmeal and eggs, respectively. Also, they should sit and chill for 20-30 minutes before cooking, failure to do so can also make them very crumbly. On the flip side, too many eggs, or other wet ingredients, can make your balls soggy (har har), which also makes them fall apart. The point of the bread crumbs or oatmeal is to help soak up that moisture.

Ground meat, breadcrumbs and a few spices mixed with two whole eggs. I think the eggs are supposed to hold them together.
Tapioca flour is another good bonding agent for meatballs, and is widely used in cooking all over Asia. If you use a lot of it you get a sort of rubbery texture which may not be to everybody's tastes. If you've ever had fish cakes or soup with meat balls or fish balls in an Asian restaurant you've probably had something that used it as a bonding agent. Corn fritters made with tapioca flour also have an interesting texture.

Tapioca flour is another good bonding agent for meatballs, and is widely used in cooking all over Asia. If you use a lot of it you get a sort of rubbery texture which may not be to everybody's tastes. If you've ever had fish cakes or soup with meat balls or fish balls in an Asian restaurant you've probably had something that used it as a bonding agent.
I've used it, it works. :thumbsup:

Tapioca flour is another good bonding agent for meatballs, and is widely used in cooking all over Asia. If you use a lot of it you get a sort of rubbery texture which may not be to everybody's tastes. If you've ever had fish cakes or soup with meat balls or fish balls in an Asian restaurant you've probably had something that used it as a bonding agent. Corn fritters made with tapioca flour also have an interesting texture.
I've had fish balls and thought they were okay, but changed textures bother my wife a lot.

Maybe I'll stick with bought meatballs. Which might actually be a relief for spittingwife, because when I cook spaghetti and meatballs I also torture her by singing That Song.

A very common Japanese breakfast item is a raw egg cracked over rice. I am NOT down. That's a big fat hairy nope.
Tamago kake gohan. I make it every once in a while for a quick breakfast as it is super super easy to mix up. I have a small 1 cup rice maker that I use for just myself.

The key imo is to use Japanese short grain rice for it and furikake. Granted if your sticking point is the raw egg well. eh. It's good to me.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back