The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Giganotosaurus Giganotosaurus That's some nice presentation, bruh. My folks are pretty good cooks, but as a kid, I always preferred eating @ my BFF's, because his mom's food was not only tasty, but also visually appealing.

Giganotosaurus Giganotosaurus That's some nice presentation, bruh. My folks are pretty good cooks, but as a kid, I always preferred eating @ my BFF's, because his mom's food was not only tasty, but also visually appealing.
Yeah, it's all pretty basic and boring food, so I try to dress it up a bit before sending it out to the old folks.

My grandparents only ever got shitty food. But they hardly noticed how shitty it was.

edit - addendum: This was because my grandmother's own cooking had also been pretty shitty most of the time.

Last edited:
My grandparents only ever got shitty food. But they hardly noticed how shitty it was.

edit - addendum: This was because my grandmother's own cooking had also been pretty shitty most of the time.

There were a lot of foods I thought I just really didn't like when I was a kid, and it turned out my mom just isn't a very good cook. Porkchops are amazing. When they are cooked like shoe leather, they are not.

Wife made me fish tacos on my request. She’s never done this, and is not a big fan of fish. But she picked the fish, which is one she likes, and they came out really really good. Everyone enjoyed them strongly. Incredibly kind of her.

For fish tacos, I take white fish, cut into roughly same size pieces. Heat a little olive oil in the pan, place the white fish in, cook halfway and turn. I add a tropical salsa and stir, the white fish flaking as you mix in the tropical salsa. Serve on corn tortillas with a Mexican slaw.

She didn't do much more than that. a little cumin and a little cayenne. our sauce was a lima crema (mayo, sour cream, sriracha, lime juice) with cabbage and cotija. i'm stuffed and i kinda want some now

Whisky club doing a Bruichladdich tasting over Zoom today. Too much jibba jabba and a bit of oneupmanship going on, but fuuuuuck what a great distillery.

Gotta love their transparency thingie on their website, where you punch in the batch number and they give you the skinny on each barrel that went in there.

Last edited:
Fish tacos never sounded appealing to me, even back before I had an adult-onset fish allergy, but y'all are making me hungry,

Stick your hand in that food processor and your day will be complete.:ooh:

I had forgotten that, while I like the flavor of quail, you actually have to work to get the meat away from the bone. Even after defeat and death, these little birds still fight you to the very end.
Pigeon is like that. It fights being eaten until the bitter end. To paraphrase, "I do not like rubber chicken."

I learned this little nugget from a bunch of Filipino cooks I worked with at one point. It sounds a little odd on the surface, but hot damn it's tasty.
I had a Filipino classmate in Culinary school and she was a valuable resource for awesome cooking.

I had a Filipino classmate in Culinary school and she was a valuable resource for awesome cooking.
For sure. I learned a whole bunch of interesting stuff from those boys (not just great Filinio recipes). In this case the pickles are kind of like that cap-full of vinegar that finishes a cream soup, it's adds just the right amount of frisson on the palette.

For sure. I learned a whole bunch of interesting stuff from those boys (not just great Filinio recipes). In this case the pickles are kind of like that cap-full of vinegar that finishes a cream soup, it's adds just the right amount of frisson on the palette.
One of these days I'm going to have enough free time to make Banana Ketchup.

I will now!
Hell no, but the Brazilian take on the dish (spelled strogonoff for some reason) is a different beast. A cheaper cut of beef browned, then simmered in a mixture of tomato sauce and cream, served over rice with shoestring fries on top. I use no more seasoning than salt and black pepper.

It’s a quick, no-fuss family dish, which is the opposite of what I think when I see the English-language beef Stroganoff recipes.

Hell no, but the Brazilian take on the dish (spelled strogonoff for some reason) is a different beast. A cheaper cut of beef browned, then simmered in a mixture of tomato sauce and cream, served over rice with shoestring fries on top. I use no more seasoning than salt and black pepper.

It’s a quick, no-fuss family dish, which is the opposite of what I think when I see the English-language beef Stroganoff recipes.
Good sir could you please share the recipe or links when you have a chance?

Good sir could you please share the recipe or links when you have a chance?
This one looks good; disregard the advice on cuts of beef (yes, they do take a dash longer, but you don't want to use tenderloin or, God help you, ribeye for this) and I don't use the ketchup, but other than that, pretty much what I do.

Anyone else trying to watch their alcohol intake and having trouble deciding on their tipple for the day?

I have a so-so bottle of wine left and the whisky club just discovered the magic of online tastings and now can’t seem to stop doing them… and I have leftover samples from these tastings, in addition to my open bottles of whisky. Also a fridge full of craft beer.

So naturally I reached for my long-neglected, open bottle of cachaça. 45% ABV (relatively high for cachaça standards) and aged in virgin, toasted American oak. A bit of bite undiluted, just perfect diluted to 42-43%. Toffee, dried fruit and that whiff of cane juice… hard to beat on a rainy tropical “winter” night. No regrets.

(This is what it looked like when I bought it. Down to 1/3 now)
8D648A90-5A6D-4DCA-97D4-5D4E45EF2FD7.jpeg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back