The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Someone found me a couple of video recipes for copycat Jollibee Savory Tuna Pie. Here in a few days, I'm going to borrow an air fryer and make myself a few... and see whether or not they're fit to serve at my next dinner party. Pie shell's made of decrusted and flattened sandwich bread, then rolled in bread crumbs. Filling is canned tuna-- I'm going to splash out for the good stuff-- onions, peas and shredded carrots held together with a little bit of mayo and heavy cream.

Going to make some just like that, plus a spicy variant with fresh diced peppers.

But... I'm going to need a backup meal for the people who inevitably say that they don't find the idea of a fried savory tuna salad pie appetizing.

Maybe some kind of tuna and noodles? Same ingredients, but it feels kinda low effort for a party.

A while back we were discussing low prep healthy meals that are filling so I wanted to share.

Frozen salmon is really handy. I keep one or two thawed 6-8 oz portions in the fridge at any given time. It's extremely simple to prep and the turnaround from fridge to table is under 15 minutes. Lemon pepper and flakey salt is all it needs for seasoning. The only hitch is that the quality of frozen salmon can vary wildly. Costco is a safe bet and I always slow thaw in the fridge.

Greek yogurt is a champ. A cup of plain Greek yogurt is about 130 calories and fairly substantial. I like it plain but lately have been sexing it up with mixed berries which adds 65 calories or so for an entire cup.

It's been awhile since I've contribute so...

Philly inspired chesesteak with peppers and onions, pepper jack cheese on a steamed roll with fries lightly tossed with white truffle oil.

Overstuffed 3 egg omelette with double smoked bacon and a buttermilk english muffin.

Tapas tonight. Central dishes are Patatas Bravas, Sticky Sweet Chorizo and a fresh herb and tomato salad. We'll see how industrious I feel and how many other small dishes I get put together, but at a minimum we'll have some lovely crusty bread, fresh smashed chickpeas and a charcuterie and olive selection.

Finally got to try out all of my pie recipes at the same time-- I will not be doing that again.

However, the tunafish pie was a runaway hit; everyone tried it, and everyone liked it. The cherry habanero... the only people I expected to try it weren't feeling great, so I ended up finishing those off all by myself. It is still by far the best of my fruit/sweet pies.

I will be serving both recipes again.

The apple pie was not great, but I know what went wrong and think I can still make it work.

Cherry-Habanero sounds awesome. My go-to base for hot sauce from scratch is a sweet citrus-Habanero (primarily Oranges).

Lately we've been crazy for tacos which consist of seasoned chicken thighs or ground turkey served in romaine lettuce instead of tortillas. It is fine without garnish but if I have the energy I will serve up chopped white onion, cilantro, avocado, and creamy chipotle sauce.

Creamy Chipotle Sauce
  1. 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
  2. 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
  3. sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (go easy at first and add to taste)
  4. mix thoroughly

Chicken Taco Salad

1 lb marinated chicken, cubed
1 avocado, cubed
1 small or medium head of romaine lettuce, chopped
1 can black olives, drained
1 can corn, drained

Adding dressing to this would be gilding the lily as it is flavorful on its own. Total comes to 585 calories each for two people and it is a substantial meal

Last edited:
Chicken Taco Salad

1 lb marinated chicken, cubed
1 avocado, cubed
1 small or medium head of romaine lettuce, chopped
1 can black olives, drained
1 can corn, drained

Adding dressing to this would be gilding the lily as it is flavorful on its own. Total comes to 585 calories each for two people and it is a substantial meal
I'm gonna try that. Spittingwife found us a taco salad recipe a couple weeks ago that led to a fairly meh result and I think she's jonesing for a good one.

Sooo... I may have a batch of sweet, red cherries that have been soaking in a jar of Kraken rum since last Halloween. I know the rum's fate. but what would you guys suggest for those now-gloriously-boozy cherries themselves? Likewise some sliced peaches that may have been steeping in apple brandy for almost as long?

I was originally having French-style tart thoughts for the peaches, but I'm not 100% sold on the idea. The cherries... they were more of an experiment to see how cherry rum would work out (It's really good, for the record-), so I never had a real plan for them.

Sooo... I may have a batch of sweet, red cherries that have been soaking in a jar of Kraken rum since last Halloween. I know the rum's fate. but what would you guys suggest for those now-gloriously-boozy cherries themselves? Likewise some sliced peaches that may have been steeping in apple brandy for almost as long?

I made boozy chocolate coated cherries for an after hours work team function. They were a hit.

I was originally having French-style tart thoughts for the peaches, but I'm not 100% sold on the idea. The cherries... they were more of an experiment to see how cherry rum would work out (It's really good, for the record-), so I never had a real plan for them.
If the cherries are pitted, clafoutis.

For the peaches, a good old cobbler.

If the cherries are pitted, clafoutis.

For the peaches, a good old cobbler.

They are indeed pitted... and I like this idea.

I was trying to avoid just making chocolate-covered cherries with them. That was an obvious idea but I figured there had to be SOMETHING more interesting out there ... and that clafoutis sounds tasty. :thumbsup:

I was trying to avoid just making chocolate-covered cherries with them. That was an obvious idea but I figured there had to be SOMETHING more interesting out there ...

I feel so…so…common. Bleh.

Making Filipino Sisig for dinner. My personal recipe is a little different than the linked version, I often use bacon instead pork belly and I use rather a lot of fresh habaneros instead of the green chili. Sadly I have no Habs, so I'm using normal peppers and some ground Carolina Reaper for heat. The linked version is egg on top, while I tend to crack the eggs right into the pan and use the mayo as a binder. Anyway, super tasty.

I want to get an instant-read thermometer for my meat cooking. Any recommendations?

I made up a batch of vegetable soup tonight, which came out pretty well. No photos, unfortunately.

This one was seasoned with a bulb of garlic chopped up, salt, pepper, lime juice and a teaspoon or so of cumin. Based on a couple of onions, grated carrots, chopped up leek, spring onion and celery, and some potatoes chopped into cubes, plus kidney beans and chick peas.

Very more-ish.

I think, in my professional opinion, that Indian Curry, especially name things like Butter Chicken, have the worst collection of online recipes I've ever fucking seen. It's rare that I'll look at the first five or six recipes that come up for something (anything) and curse them all as the devils work, but that seems to be the case here.

I think, in my professional opinion, that Indian Curry, especially name things like Butter Chicken, have the worst collection of online recipes I've ever fucking seen. It's rare that I'll look at the first five or six recipes that come up for something (anything) and curse them all as the devils work, but that seems to be the case here.

Well, to get that authentic curry house taste, just add triple the amount of ghee and you're about there.

The thing that's kept me from trying Indian recipes is the fact that they all seem to need upwards of half a dozen spices, some of which can only be obtained from a cave in the Himalayas guarded by a griffin.

The thing that's kept me from trying Indian recipes is the fact that they all seem to need upwards of half a dozen spices, some of which can only be obtained from a cave in the Himalayas guarded by a griffin.
The Griffin is actually quite chatty and polite, but it's still the fucking Himalayas. Most of those oddball spices can be ordered online, but you can make great curry without them using easier to find substitutes. Galangal for example, can be replaced by normal powdered ginger. There are lots of websites that have suggestions for replacements. The number of spices isn't a big deal really in terms of prep time, and once you've bought them you're making curry for days.

Most of those oddball spices can be ordered online, but you can make great curry without them using easier to find substitutes. Galangal for example, can be replaced by normal powdered ginger. There are lots of websites that have suggestions for replacements.
If I order them online, it'll have to be from a local vendor. We have pretty strict laws about biosecurity and importing food items. I'll look for those websites.

To celebrate a bit us now being fully moved into the new place, the roommate fixed up some gallo en chicha (a chicken stew) along with some yellow rice, which I just finished stuffing my face with.

Just started some chicken stock for soup tonight.

One supermarket roast chicken.
Two onions, chopped
Three large carrots, chopped

Put the skin, bones and fattier bits of the meat in; I've rescued most of the meat to put in later. Sometimes I make it and just leave the bones in. This time I'm going to simmer it for the afternoon, drain off the stock and make chicken and vegetable soup with it.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 1.22.45 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
If I order them online, it'll have to be from a local vendor. We have pretty strict laws about biosecurity and importing food items. I'll look for those websites.

It's the rubber gloves for you matey!

Last edited:
Garlic Broccoli - vegan , quick and tasty

Ingredients

250 g Tenderstem Broccoli
1 Garlic clove
3 table spoons cooking oil (I use Groundnut or Olive Oli)
30 ml water
Splash of soya sauce
5 ml (teaspoon) salt
5 ml (teaspoon) sugar

Chop the Tenderstem broccoli into chunks – 4 or 5/spear
Chop the garlic clove very finely
Mix the water, salt, soy sauce and sugar.

Add the garlic and broccoli to the oil in the Wok or large frying pan – stir fry for 90 seconds, stirring constantly

Add water, salt , sugar and soy sauce, stir fry for a further 2 minutes.

Serve hot

I'm baking my own bread because everything in Sweden, including the bread, is waaay too salty for me. Usually bread recipes are supposed to be followed to the gram (use a scale, not a volume measure!), but I needed a comparably healthy bread recipe for lazy incompetents: ridiculously simple and very forgiving. This is what I came up with.
  1. Mix 1 kg of whole wheat flour with 14 g of dry yeast and two or three pinches of salt in a big bowl. (Here, this means buying one pack of flour and two packs of yeast and just putting it all in).
  2. Let sit for ten minutes (to activate the yeast, apparently; that's what it said on the package)
  3. Add 600 ml of a 1:1 water-milk (or water-soy milk) mixture.
  4. Start kneading, add more of the mixture if the dough is too dry.
  5. Let the dough ball rise for 60 minutes (or 45 minutes in an instant pot with a yogurt setting).
  6. Knead one more time.
  7. Put in a form.
  8. Let the dough in the form rise for 10 minutes.
  9. Bake for about 75 minutes at 175℃ (add water to a deep baking sheet at the bottom to get a brown crust).
The end result is a completely edible, comparably dense bread with a rather hard crust. So its relation to
Homemade French Bread.
is like these two ones'

Garlic Broccoli - vegan , quick and tasty

Ingredients

250 g Tenderstem Broccoli
1 Garlic clove
3 table spoons cooking oil (I use Groundnut or Olive Oli)
30 ml water
Splash of soya sauce
5 ml (teaspoon) salt
5 ml (teaspoon) sugar

Chop the Tenderstem broccoli into chunks – 4 or 5/spear
Chop the garlic clove very finely
Mix the water, salt, soy sauce and sugar.

Add the garlic and broccoli to the oil in the Wok or large frying pan – stir fry for 90 seconds, stirring constantly

Add water, salt , sugar and soy sauce, stir fry for a further 2 minutes.

Serve hot
Thanks! Can I sub garlic power for garlic clove?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back