The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I had never heard of it, to be honest, but it was lovely. It wasn't too spicy, which works well for me, but was full of flavour. My wife wasn't keen on the seafood Tagine, so I took that home and had it in the evening. She liked my lamb tagine, though.

I bought some Lyre's alcohol-free bourbon this week, because I was curious about it and booze seems to increasingly disagree with me as I get older (I can drink it, but I have to stick to small amounts when it comes to the hard stuff).

So far I think it's fine in a cocktail, but not great by itself. Taken straight, it just tastes like the water from melted ice cubes from a bourbon on the rocks. But when mixed, it can be just close enough to get a similar flavor.

I don't think I would get this again, but I would try other products from the company.

I need help finding the proper name of a potato-based dish. In my house we always called it baked potatoes, but people outside the house look alarmed when I offer to make it and ask if potatoes are the only part of the dish.

To make this, you take a reasonably sized potato and stab it. then you bake it in the oven until it's cooked through. Cut a flap on one side, scoop out the potatoey centre and mash it with sour cream, bacon bits and herbs. Scoop it back in, cover it with grated cheese and grill for five minutes so the cheese melts.
Stuffed Potatoes. Several restaurants in our area call them that, or double stuffed potatoes or restuffed potatoes.

Just converted my most recent (best. evar.) Filipino spaghetti sauce into a marvelous pasta bake. And learned, Bar-S cheddar hotlinks go with it nicely... perhaps even better than the overpriced imported hot dogs.
Just don’t ever use the regular Bar-S dogs. They’re basically just vehicles for ketchup when you can’t afford real food.

Stuffed Potatoes. Several restaurants in our area call them that, or double stuffed potatoes or restuffed potatoes.

I've never heard them called that. I'll look out for them next time I am out.

Booze? Captain Morgan's Private Stock. Easily my favorite sipping rum. It's so beyond regular Captain its weird they originate with the same company.

My morning go-to is Whaler's Dark Rum for my jacuzzi Americano. Whaler's Rum has a creamy vanilla flavor that goes great with espresso. [OMG, I am so LA.]

Food? My girlfriend loves my stir fry dishes and I've recently started using jalapenos in my faux-asian cooking. I've been pleasantly surprised. We love extremely spicy dishes and mixing Thai chilis and jalapeno has been a success.

You? Shocked I tell you! Shocked! :cool:

Explain!
I’ll second that comment about Captain Morgan’s. I don’t like the cheaper rum they are mostly known for but the private stock rum is seriously good. Highly recommended!

I've never heard them called that. I'll look out for them next time I am out.
We call them “baked twice potatoes”, here in TX, I had one Tuesday night. Basically you just cook a russet potato and when ready scoop out the potatoes insides and put it in a bowl. Then you add whatever cheese and chopped onions you like, sour cream, butter, horseradish and a little salt and pepper. Mix it all up and put in back in the potato skin. Then cook it for another 6 or 7 minutes.

I ended up with a bunch of chicken bones that still have a bit of meat on them. I've often heard this is a good place to start for homemade chicken soup. Got any suggestions/ recipes/ tips?

I ended up with a bunch of chicken bones that still have a bit of meat on them. I've often heard this is a good place to start for homemade chicken soup. Got any suggestions/ recipes/ tips?
Raw chicken bone should be roasted at 400f for 20 minutes. If yours are cooked itll take less time. You just want them to get nice and brown. Then use them to make stock.

Grab whatever tough veggies like onions, carrots, parsnips, turnips, celery, stuff like that. Chop and roast 'em and the chicken bones. Toss 'em in a big pot of water. Simmer for a few hours, til it smells good. Skim the gross floaty shit off the top as you go. Strain out the chunky stuff leaving the liquid in a big-ass bowl. Bam, stock.

If you wanna be extra thorough, break the bones in half before you simmer. That way you get marrow.

Last night I made pasta with fresh broad beans from Spittingwife's garden. Of all the pasta dishes I've eaten in my time... this is definitely one of them. But Spittingwife enjoyed it, so I'll probably make it again. We should run out of homegrown beans in two more dishes.

Made swiss steak with mashed potatoes. Smacking round steak with a mallet is not only effective for tenderizing a lean cut. It's also great for dealing with excess irritation from daily living.
Funny story, when I was a dinner cook at an Old Folks Home one of the menu items was Swiss Steak. It turned out that "Swiss Steak" was basically large Hamburger Patties cooked in tomato sauce.

Last week I went in to an old favourite Fijian Indian restaurant with some old gaming buddies. One of us is going through chemo for bowel cancer, so we ordered mild. The restaurateuse (who was a classmate of mine in 1986) came out to ask what was wrong. Shenegotiated us into getting mild at one end of the table and medium at the other, with dished of extra chilli on the table as a condiment. Friends don’t let friends eat mild curries.

Last edited:
Last week I went in to an old favourite Fijian Indian restaurant with some old gaming buddies. One of us is going through chemo. for bowel cancer, so we ordered mild. The restaurateuse (who was a classmate of mine in 1986) came out to ask what was wrong, and negotiated us into getting mild at one end of the table and medium at the other, with dished of extra chilli on the table as a condiment. Friend don’t let friends eat mild curries.
I don't know if I've made this complaint before, but I'm extremely bitter about it.

There was a period of several years where both my and my wife's companies did Thai for the team Christmas dinner. And there's a predictable fucking pattern to this:

1)Bossman suggests that the table order one of everything and share, so everyone gets the full experience.
2)Someone's plus-one pipes up to say they don't like spicy food.
3)Bossman says that's no problem, we'll order everything extra-mild!
4)Table eats a disappointing dinner and the plus-one won't shut up about how spicy everything is.

Now we just don't do Christmas dinners because fuck you, that's why.

I don't know if I've made this complaint before, but I'm extremely bitter about it.

There was a period of several years where both my and my wife's companies did Thai for the team Christmas dinner. And there's a predictable fucking pattern to this:

1)Bossman suggests that the table order one of everything and share, so everyone gets the full experience.
4)Table eats a disappointing dinner and the plus-one won't shut up about how spicy everything is.

Well none of that nonsense will go on at Rama’s while Minnie is in charge. If you try to order mild she will come out and remonstrate with you.

It used to be back in the day that the more hot food you ordered, the better Minnie liked you, and the better Minnie liked you the hotter “hot” came out. In the end I had to beg: “Minnie, leave me alone! I’m just a white guy!”

Last edited:
Here is a recipe for good stock, but you might not have enough bone for it. You might have to reduce the recipe amounts proportionally.

Bobby Flay's Recipe
Too much celery and onion, not enough parsnip or Swede (rutabaga). And there is a trick to getting it a bit clearer, which is to bring the water to a rapid boil in the stock pot, add the roasted bones and veg to boiling water, and then cut the heat back until it stays about 90 C (195°F), rather than boiling it with the bones in. You can boil it to reduce it after taking the solids out.

If you don't have purple ("Spanish") onions you can use brown, but when you are peeling them leave one layer of the dry brown skin on the outside, to colour the stock.

Wait, you worked with my wife?

While I was visiting a friend this past weekend, he offered to make beef stew. I was ecstatic because I love beef stew. What he made was very tasty, but was, IMO, far too thin to be stew and was more of a beef soup situation.

That sounds weirdly engaging, could you give us a blow-by-blow account of her battle with pineapple fried rice?

Well, the pineapple was a little spicy...she tried a bit of it, and then went with plain white rice instead...

I mean the running joke in my house is that my wife considers ketchup a little too spicy most of the time :-)

Well none of that nonsense will go on at Rama’s while Minnie is in charge. If you try to order mild she will come out and remonstrate with you.

It used to be back in the day that the more hot food you ordered, the better Minnie liked you, and the better Minnie liked you the hotter “hot” came out. In the end I had to beg: “Minnie, leave me alone! I’m just a white guy!”
Around my area, the hotter a white guy asks for his food, the milder it comes. I used to get an Asian friend to order for me.

Then came a time in my life when I had to make a choice. The choice was: continue to eat unreasonably spicy food and continue to bleed from the intestines afterwards, or dial it back on both fronts. I chose digestive health.

Grilled cheese were plain when I was a kid - white bread and American cheese. But I've since realized that the general idea is robust and can withstand variation - in cheese, bread, and add-ons. I like a bit of mustard and maybe pickle inside. Also ham or other meat though it starts to get debatable if it's grilled cheese or a hot ham sandwich. Someone gave us a George Foreman grills and it works well as a sandwich press. It cooks them almost as fast as I can prep the next one.

Grilled cheese were plain when I was a kid - white bread and American cheese. But I've since realized that the general idea is robust and can withstand variation - in cheese, bread, and add-ons. I like a bit of mustard and maybe pickle inside. Also ham or other meat though it starts to get debatable if it's grilled cheese or a hot ham sandwich. Someone gave us a George Foreman grills and it works well as a sandwich press. It cooks them almost as fast as I can prep the next one.
We started as a simple grilled cheese family. Whole Wheat bread and the bane of my palette American "Cheese", which for some godawful reason I insisted on having. We eventually switched to real cheese after I left my plastic pseudo-cheese phase and started using a George Foreman instad of the old skillet and casserole dish. I started putting mustard and tartar sauce on my sandwiches soon after.
Then my parents went to a store other than Safeway and found exotic breads like sourdough and Jalapeno Cheese Bread.
After I started culinary school I upped my Grilled Cheese game and started putting stuff like pickles and onions on it. My parents started making hummus and would put that on their sandwiches.

We started as a simple grilled cheese family. Whole Wheat bread and the bane of my palette American "Cheese", which for some godawful reason I insisted on having. We eventually switched to real cheese after I left my plastic pseudo-cheese phase and started using a George Foreman instad of the old skillet and casserole dish. I started putting mustard and tartar sauce on my sandwiches soon after.
Then my parents went to a store other than Safeway and found exotic breads like sourdough and Jalapeno Cheese Bread.
After I started culinary school I upped my Grilled Cheese game and started putting stuff like pickles and onions on it. My parents started making hummus and would put that on their sandwiches.
It's like one of those montages that starts with a couple of cells splitting, turns into a swimming fish, then a walking lizard, then a tyrannosaurus tearing the throat from a brontosaur.

It's starting to get chilly in the frozen north, so I found bought some baguettes and adapted the recipe for caldo gallego to suit my pantry. Turned out well but could've used some more greens.

IMG_20221015_163522__01-01.jpg

It's starting to get chilly in the frozen north, so I found bought some baguettes and adapted the recipe for caldo gallego to suit my pantry. Turned out well but could've used some more greens.

So when you say 'frozen north'...

So when you say 'frozen north'...

bob-and-doug.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back