The Food and Drink Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Not sneaking, it requires a willingness to try a vegetable
That's my problem in a nutshell.

but I've had some success with roasted Brussel sprouts.

Brussel sprouts cut in half, then thrown into a bag with olive oil, salt and pepper. Shake until well coated then put into a shallow pan with the cut side up. I like to add a little drizzle of Balsalmic glaze to the Brussel sprouts. Bake at 375-400 degrees (F if not obvious, but maybe you have a kiln) until the edges are crispy.
One of my favourite winter dishes, but my wife refuses to even think about it.

That's my problem in a nutshell.

One of my favourite winter dishes, but my wife refuses to even think about it.

Yeah, then I guess the hide it is the best policy. Breads, soups, casseroles, smoothies etc with finely minced vegetables.

From personal experience, skip the broccoli juice. I like broccoli and got into a juicer phase, and thought I've got the broccoli stalks left over... Mistake, but I'm stubborn so I drank the quart or so that I made up. Kind of like drinking dryer lint, but turns out it is great for cleaning out the digestive tract. :shock:

Just come back from a few days in Edinburgh, where I had the most exquisite fried Haggis Supper (Haggis and chips). We also had a vegetarian flatbread sandwich, which was really tasty, and ate in a Punjabi restaurant that did excellent food, the name of which escapes me, washed down with a mango lassi.

Just come back from a few days in Edinburgh, where I had the most exquisite fried Haggis Supper (Haggis and chips). We also had a vegetarian flatbread sandwich, which was really tasty, and ate in a Punjabi restaurant that did excellent food, the name of which escapes me, washed down with a mango lassi.
Drinking a mango lassi is like being hugged from the inside.

Is that balsamic reduction I spy on top of those pizzas? Very nice.
It is indeed! It's at a local pizza joint called Versalia Pizzaria. They do good work there. My only complaint with them is that they're in a heavily gentrafied neighborhood with limited parking for non residents.

It is indeed! It's at a local pizza joint called Versalia Pizzaria. They do good work there. My only complaint with them is that they're in a heavily gentrafied neighborhood with limited parking for non residents.
Well, I'll applaud the reduction anyway. I do love me a good balsamic reduction on Za with good basic ingredients.

Unemployment has turned me into a house husband for the time being which isn't a bad gig. This week I have been tackling unnecessary expenses and food was easily the biggest source of wasteful spending. Now that I have the time and mental bandwidth for in-depth meal planning and more complicated recipes, I've been able to significantly reduce our food costs while simultaneously increasing the quality of our meals.

My lovely wife found a reliable local source for Buenaveza, a Mexican-style lager with a hint of salt and lime. I tried it at a resort last year and was blown away; it immediately became my favorite warm-weather beer but has been frustratingly difficult to find locally. There is a local high end grocery store that sells it but it's almost always sold out and I don't want to drive 20 minutes each way to a specialty liquor store every time I want a six pack.

I tried a dekopon orange today and was amazed at how delicious it was. Like, they are up there with cotton candy grapes for me. They are normally kinda expensive but there's a sale right now at Whole Foods so try 'em out before they go back to being 8 bucks a pound or whatever.

Unemployment has turned me into a house husband for the time being which isn't a bad gig. This week I have been tackling unnecessary expenses and food was easily the biggest source of wasteful spending. Now that I have the time and mental bandwidth for in-depth meal planning and more complicated recipes, I've been able to significantly reduce our food costs while simultaneously increasing the quality of our meals.

My lovely wife found a reliable local source for Buenaveza, a Mexican-style lager with a hint of salt and lime. I tried it at a resort last year and was blown away; it immediately became my favorite warm-weather beer but has been frustratingly difficult to find locally. There is a local high end grocery store that sells it but it's almost always sold out and I don't want to drive 20 minutes each way to a specialty liquor store every time I want a six pack.

I tried a dekopon orange today and was amazed at how delicious it was. Like, they are up there with cotton candy grapes for me. They are normally kinda expensive but there's a sale right now at Whole Foods so try 'em out before they go back to being 8 bucks a pound or whatever.
I am quite envious. I’d like to do this for a while. Not to turn this into real life and what’s happening, but we went through our budget and I was astonished at how resistant to change the food budget was, and I would like to see that change. I think I probably could, but it would require a lot more effort than 40-50 hour a week and international travel me can do right now.

My son likes to cook, and is fond of Mexican cuisine, and hot sauces. I don't know what its called officially, but he made something kinda like a quesadilla, except with ground beef, eggs, and some fairly strong hot sauce. No pics because I ate that stuff as soon as he was done lol

For the record, I can't cook very well. I can slow cook stuff in the smoker, and grill stuff, and I homebrew beer. These are my primary culinary skills. :grin:

There are rumors of vat meat human flesh... (If you are in a CoC or other Supernatural/horror game)
Addendum: Clones blood does not feed most vampires (but will a hemavore), as it does not have the life energy in it. (Thus "staleness after death" vampire meme, even immediately after death... before the blood loses oxygenation. This is a point in the Series 2 Neo Frontiers Game. (Also vat womb born synths are not edible, until after they have been alive for years (and not always then).

Plus straight vat meat does not work. You need to 3D print the cells (once vat grown), so it is a better great.

They are currently working on making 3D printed bones (for various limb replacements and bone marrow infusions). That tech has culinary applications as well.

Step by step closer to Synths.

Last edited:
For the last year, I have been fairly housebound. So I have been playing with coffee. I have been experimental and doing SCIENCE! (really a bit bored). So much so that I have been shepherding a thread about it on another site. It is an interesting thread seeing coffee from various perspectives. Hunt through for my posts, they are the more "interesting" ones for new coffee recipes with basic coffees. Here it is.

For the last year, I have been fairly housebound. So I have been playing with coffee. I have been experimental and doing SCIENCE! (really a bit bored). So much so that I have been shepherding a thread about it on another site. It is an interesting thread seeing coffee from various perspectives. Hunt through for my posts, they are the more "interesting" ones for new coffee recipes with basic coffees. Here it is.

I tried oat milk by itself and didn't care for it. Maybe I should try it one more time in coffee.

My coffee is pretty simple. About the cheapest grinder with a metal cone burr, then into the French press. A splash of milk in the cup, at least for the first cup, as much to bring down the temperature as anything else.

I'm thinking of getting some unroasted beans to try roasting in the popcorn popper plus a few other methods. Unroasted beans seem to cost as much as whole beans in the grocery store; much cheaper and beans from specialty roasters.

Some recent meals:

Homemade chicken nuggys with mashed potatoes, cream gravy, and corn.

Green chile chicken enchiladas with an egg and frijoles.

Baked cheesy eggs with Brie, extra sharp cheddar, spinach, tomato, prosciutto, and a touch of cream.

That yolk...

Got a pork shoulder roast going in the crock pot.

After trimming off the outer layer of fat (which will be used to make some black eyed peas in the next day or two), covered it in a rub of brown sugar, salt, paprika, chili powder, cumin and dry mustard. Added some diced onion and some minced garlic, along with a can of beer. Just letting it cook throughout the afternoon while I get some other errands done.

After trimming off the outer layer of fat (which will be used to make some black eyed peas in the next day or two), covered it in a rub of brown sugar, salt, paprika, chili powder, cumin and dry mustard. Added some diced onion and some minced garlic, along with a can of beer. Just letting it cook throughout the afternoon while I get some other errands done.
I've got one in the freezer. My plan (not this weekend) is to marinade it overnight in a rub of cumin, oregano, paprika, brown sugar, salt and chilli powder, then cook it in diluted apple cider vinegar. Tear it up, mix it with hickory smoke BBQ sauce and return it to the slow cooker to caramelise.

What type of beer? Crock pot pork shoulder is one of my go-to dishes, but I haven't tried making it with beer.

What type of beer? Crock pot pork shoulder is one of my go-to dishes, but I haven't tried making it with beer.

Just a can of Bud that we had hanging around. As opposed to something I would actually want to drink, cheap beer usually works fine for my cooking purposes (liquid in a crock pot, simmering sausages, or making beer bread).

BTW, do any of you make "Asian" stir-fry at home?

If you have not, I must recommend it tremendously. The time spent chopping veggies can be daunting (I'm CHOPPING BROCCOLI!!), but its a great way to create a meal with lots (or all) veggies and little (or no) meat. I have always enjoyed shiitake mushrooms and Chinese eggplant, but only recently hunted down an Asian market to bring those home. In non-Asian markets, shiitakes have stupid prices, but the Asian market often sell them in bulk and the eggplant is surprisingly cheap. BTW, Chinese eggplant isn't the traditional aubergine used in Italian cuisine. It's long with dense meat instead of squat and watery. Goes tremendously well with ginger and garlic.

My stir fry is the above, plus onion chunks, water chestnuts, bamboo sprouts, broccoli and thinly sliced jalapenos. My sauce is usually soy sauce, Sriracha, sweet chili sauce, and maybe a splash of fish sauce. I like the heat level to be slightly nuclear.

And I also discovered BROKEN RICE...I never heard of it before. The Asian market was selling a 5lb bag of broken jasmine rice from Thailand for $2. It's tiny rice fragments. I was very surprised how different and tasty it was. Highly recommended.
Ohh, I often cook stir-fry, fried potatoes, eggplant, and beans is a classic dish.

Ok. So yesterday I went to Canlis in Seattle with an old culinary school buddy of mine and his date. This is the fanciest restaurant I've ever been to and it was well worth the money. I don't remember the exact names/ingredients of everything so bear with me on these descriptions.

First course: The Amuse Bouche
Canlis Course 1.jpg
From left to right: Something that was like bugogi. A Savory mushroom custard. A Puff Pastry with savory filling.

Second Course:
Canlis Course 2.jpg
Smokey Creamy Potatoes with Crab, topped with caviar. This was my favorite dish the whole night.

Third Course: Salad
Canlis Course 3.jpg
The Traditional Canlis Salad with Mint, Cherry Tomatoes, Bacon and a fresh made vinaigrette.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back