The greatest albums of the 1970s

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Nearly forgot this...

The_Modern_Lovers_%28album%29.jpg

...and this...

The_B-52%27s_cover.jpg

Well there is Bat out of Hell, which spent an obscenely long time in the UK Top 100 Album list, from what I can remember.

Bat_out_of_Hell.jpg

Then, Queen's Albums after Queen and Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, News of the World and Jazz, all of which have stompingly good hit songs.

Breaking Glass was from 1980, so doesn't count, unfortunately. I was never into Punk as a teenager, but appreciated it in my twenties, although I still think that Gob on You captures the spirit of Punk probably more than any other song.

Well there is Bat out of Hell, which spent an obscenely long time in the UK Top 100 Album list, from what I can remember.

Bat_out_of_Hell.jpg

Then, Queen's Albums after Queen and Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, News of the World and Jazz, all of which have stompingly good hit songs.

Breaking Glass was from 1980, so doesn't count, unfortunately. I was never into Punk as a teenager, but appreciated it in my twenties, although I still think that Gob on You captures the spirit of Punk probably more than any other song.
Richard Corben cover art!

Heart started with a firecracker of a debut LP spanning hard guitar rock through balladry. Side 1 is especially sharp.

Oh yeah, Crazy on you, Magic Man and Dreamboat Annie. I think of Heart as an 80's band, but nope 1975 and then Barracuda, and Kick it out on Little Queen in 1977. That's 5 classic rock staples on two albums. They were on album #5 in 1980 and I was in 6th grade I think. :dead:

Iron maiden would define heavy metal in the 80s, and help lay the groundwork for speed metal as well. The Soundhouse Tapes, their self-produced 3-song EP, was little more than a glorified demo. Released in November of 1979, it bore little resemblance to Maiden's later, more polished work. It also shows an undeniable punk influence, something Maiden would spend the next decade denying. But I defy you to listen to the chorus of the first track, "Iron Maiden", without hearing it. This is the birth of a heavy metal legend. And although I greatly enjoy the work of revered singer/fencer/DJ/author/pilot Bruce Dickinson, Paul Di'Anno's voice is perfect for Iron Maiden's early work. The Soundhouse Tapes was a distant rumble of thunder, signalling both the end of the 70s, and a coming storm of metal that would dominate the heavier end of the music spectrum for the next ten years.

Oh yeah, these guys...

LetItBe.jpg
Personally I think it's badly marred by Phil Spector's ham-fisted production and John Lennon's contribution of only two decent songs, which is a shame because Harrison and McCartney delivered some good songs that deserved a better presentation. I still have my vinyl copy on the old Apple label, though.
From 1973, we have a great album by the Isley Brothers:
33-5526b78a594a8-620x620.jpg
Irresistible and dig that guitar:
They also make "Summer Breeze" by Seals & Crofts tolerable:

Also from 1973, a very good year for LPs, is my all-time favorite Bruce Springsteen album. It's also the most adventurous and musically creative record in his œuvre before he sort of found his niche and stuck to it for the most part with only a few ventures into different sounds.
51aXe+ewP+L.jpg

John Denver at the height of his career (1975) was awesome even though it's cool to deride him for being folksy and unhip. Has that hip phase passed yet so people can finally admit he was talented?
album_large_7696_4e45988ecf996.jpg

Another great album from 1975 is my favorite Bee Gees album*, Main Course.
main_course.jpg
Check out this 1-2-3 punch of the opening tracks:

* Children of the World (1976) comes a close second. Saturday Night Fever (1977) isn't technically a Bee Gees album, but it does make me wonder what they would have released in 1977 had they not given up for the movie soundtrack all the songs they had in the can for their next album. They were at the peak of their powers and creativity and it probably would've been incredible.

Last edited:
The aforementioned Children of the World is pretty wild and funky stuff. You can hear why they were performing so well on the "urban" radio stations and markets.
5108YRcJ8bL__SX355_.jpg

Gene_Clark-No_Other_%28album_cover%29.jpg

An absolutely stunning solo album from ex-Byrd Clark.

Certainly one of the greatest soundtrack albums of all time is Car Wash, which I count as a Rose Royce LP and an exception to my no-soundtracks rule from post #1 since it's all music that was created specifically for the film and performed by the same artist so I count it as an artistic statement unto itself.

Gene_Clark-No_Other_%28album_cover%29.jpg

An absolutely stunning solo album from ex-Byrd Clark.

When Clark brought the masters for this album to David Geffen he threw them in a wastebasket and told him there were no hit singles on it.

887830012713.jpg

Often unfairly overlooked in favour of the Clash and the Pistols, nobody does three minute pop songs quite like the Buzzcocks. They also pretty much singlehandedly invented the UK Indie music scene.

Standout track: Ever Fallen in Love (with someone you shouldn't've

220px-BlueOysterCultSpectres.jpg

Proof that hippies could rock as hard as anyone else. Generally managed to tread that fine line between ridiculous and awesome and did so with style.

Standout track: Godzilla

220px-MottTheHoople_UK.jpg

Good though All the Young Dudes is it doesn't deserve to overshadow their other work. Great working class story tellers.

Standout track: All the Way from Memphis

When Clark brought the masters for this album to David Geffen he threw them in a wastebasket and told him there were no hit singles on it.

Yes, this album has a troubled history and was not a commercial success upon release. Clark, I believe, was deeply affected by this, believing the album to be his masterpiece. I'm inclined to agree with him.

Edit: Here's my favourite song from No Other...

Possibly my favourite album of all time, certainly in my top five...

David_Bowie_-_Hunky_Dory.jpg

Yeah I love this album. It's deeply poetic and feels very personal. Quicksand was the song that I listened to (over and over again) when I heard that Bowie had died. A truly great piece of work from a unique talent.

Possibly my favourite album of all time, certainly in my top five...

David_Bowie_-_Hunky_Dory.jpg

Yeah I love this album. It's deeply poetic and feels very personal. Quicksand was the song that I listened to (over and over again) when I heard that Bowie had died. A truly great piece of work from a unique talent.

My favourite pre-Spiders record. Only topped by Low for me personally.

JUDAS%5FPRIEST_SAD%2BWINGS%2BOF%2BDESTINY-261069.jpg

Nothing quite like 70’s Judas Priest. Heavy, heavy blues, progressive and rock. I loved their 80’s stuff, but I’m also sad that they abandoned their early sound when they went full metal.

Bona Fide classic. I like Priest, but their later output was definitely influenced by album sales more than anything else. Albums like this one and "Sin After Sin" are where it's at, for sure. Fun Fact: Priest was a HUGE influence on Slayer. Most people think of Maiden and Motorhead as the progenitors of speed metal, but "Exciter" might just be the first thrash metal track ever:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back